Is my PC being bottlenecked?

mattapostolou
Go to solution Solved by Ansuex,

For the sake of trying, just backup your data and reinstall your OS.

Nothing better then a clean install of Windows anyway :D its like having a shower after a long day of work, you feel reborn.

Hi everyone!

I'm getting terrible fps in games. Have had a gtx 970, 1070ti and now have an rtx 2070. All have under performed and can barely get 30fps most of the time 

Specs

Corsair CX650M 650W Bronze Power Supply

Gigabyte B150M-D3H Motherboard

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce, 8GB

Intel Core i7 6700

Seagate Desktop HDD 2TB, ST2000DM001

Samsung 240GB SSD

GSkill Ripjaw 2400mhz DDR4 RAM 16GB (bought yesterday but didnt fix issue

Ran firestrike and got poor results in the combined test. Cinebench 674 cb and Open GL test 100.75 fps..

Please help :( spent so much money and can't seem to figure out what is wrong 

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

looks like software issues, what games / res ? os & background programs?

Battlefield 5 and GTA are the worst ones . Running 2560x1080 on my ultrawide 1080P monitor. Windows 10 pro no background programs running. Games running terribly and benchmarks showing poor results 

Is the RAM running in dual channel?

Are all the drivers installed?

Ever tried to clean install Windows?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Defective harddrive maybe?

Could be that it can not access the data on your HDD fast enough

17 minutes ago, Nocte said:

Is the RAM running in dual channel?

Are all the drivers installed?

Ever tried to clean install Windows?

Hi! 

RAM running dual channel at 2133mhz , upgraded last night used to have 1x8GB thought it would help fix problem but still the same.

When i got my new gpu i ran DDU and reinstalled my nvidia display and game ready drivers

Am thinking a clean install could be on the cards, but did about 6 months ago and was having the issue prior to that :( 

Not sure it would help if you already tried. What speed is your CPU running at when playing? Are temps normal?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

15 minutes ago, Ansuex said:

Defective harddrive maybe?

Could be that it can not access the data on your HDD fast enough

I just had a look at event viewer and found a few errors under "disk" as a source dating back a few months ago but nothing recent 

3 minutes ago, Nocte said:

Not sure it would help if you already tried. What speed is your CPU running at when playing? Are temps normal?

Thanks for the speedy reply :) 
Temps are normal. Speed is @3.40GHz , in dxdiag it says "@ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz" - Not sure if that helps but thought i'd put it in there

59 minutes ago, mattapostolou said:

Cinebench 674 cb

wait , this is quite low imo... i had a i5 2500 scroing 400ish... 

also check bios if any cores were disabled (though this will barely affect gaming performance) or reset bios if you are lazy

Hey! I will check bios now thanks !

Yeah its a crazy low score i don't understand why it would be happening :(

16 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

wait , this is quite low imo... i had a i5 2500 scroing 400ish... 

also check bios if any cores were disabled (though this will barely affect gaming performance) or reset bios if you are lazy

No cores disabled 

Okay this might seem dumb, but:

- Is iGPU disabled in BIOS?

- Are you plugging the monitors into your GPU?

Unraid Server

33 minutes ago, Nocte said:

Okay this might seem dumb, but:

- Is iGPU disabled in BIOS?

- Are you plugging the monitors into your GPU?

Not dumb at all :) 

GPU is enabled and monitors plugged into gpu

3 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

looks like software issues, what games / res ? os & background programs?

Just checked and have 63 background processes, could that be it??

14 minutes ago, mattapostolou said:

Just checked and have 63 background processes, could that be it??

Scratch that my tests sucked even when i got rid of them :(

I mean, you changed GPU and RAM... And cinebench scores (CPU) suck. I really think the problem lies with the CPU/motherboard. 

I might be wrong, but I don't know what else to advise. Sorry. 

Unraid Server

Nothing better then a clean install of Windows anyway :D its like having a shower after a long day of work, you feel reborn.

1 hour ago, Nocte said:

I mean, you changed GPU and RAM... And cinebench scores (CPU) suck. I really think the problem lies with the CPU/motherboard. 

I might be wrong, but I don't know what else to advise. Sorry. 

That's okay you've been a great help thank you. I'm starting to think motherboard too

8 minutes ago, Ansuex said:

Haha I think that might be the way to go. I'll try it out and let you know thanks :)

On 1/15/2019 at 12:56 AM, Ansuex said:

Can't believe it! Completely wiped everything, installed new OS and everything is working properly!! :) I installed battlefield V  and tested the single player whilst it was downloading and i was getting over 70-80 fps constantly with max settings. Very happy man this was stressing me the hell out. I wonder what it was that was causing everything to stop working on my old OS.

Thanks everyone for the help. From what I can see this problem is fixed