Building my first drone

Go to solution Solved by Pyrannha,

So what you're talking about and confusing, it seems to me, is your flight controller and your radio transmitter. Your flight controller will have a radio receiver that is bound to your radio transmitter. Your flight controller will have your ESCs, receiver, and video transmitter connected to it. Flight controller is what translates what you tell your quad to do with your transmitter into actual motor speed changes whereas radio receiver just takes the signals you send with your transmitter and relays them to the flight controller. Before you rush out and just buy a thousand dollars worth of stuff, i highly suggest you check out Joshua Bardwell's youtube - in particular his series on leaning to build a racing drone and his introductory flying videos. Feel free to ask any more questions, I do have half a clue at least - also welcome to the moneypit...er hobby. 

20190116_171039.jpg

Hi, I'm looking at building a racing quadrocopter  out of components I bought online. I've reasearched enough about components but I'm confused a bit with the flight controller. MY questions are does the flight controller have to be compatible with a controller to work, does a flight controller allow you to change the firmware on it and how can i make sure that the drone can have accro and stabilised flight on a toggle on my controller?

Thank you in advance and if anyone can reccoment me any components I would be grateful. 

(I think this is under the right sections i'm not sure)

So I am using the SP racing f3 Flight controller and it works great for my big quad well on my small racing quad. To anwnser the second question about firmware. Yes there is firmware that goes onto the quad. There are a ton of places that have better resouces than me so I would recommend you start searching about “ Inav” or “Cleanflight”. Those are 2 biggest firewares that come to mind and have lots of vidoes showing how to do things. You will need to make sure that your flight controller supports the firmware but there is a large number of supported controllers out there. Once flashed there are lots to configure on your computer and upload to flight controller. You get access to large amounts of tuning and all sensors that are connected or built in to the controller. There is a lot to learn about RC drones so I recommend watching the Hak5 Racing drone series before you start.

Also There are many ways to connect your RC controller to a flight controller so your likely to have support it is more of just seting up one way for them to communicate and making sure its solid. Hope this helps

So what you're talking about and confusing, it seems to me, is your flight controller and your radio transmitter. Your flight controller will have a radio receiver that is bound to your radio transmitter. Your flight controller will have your ESCs, receiver, and video transmitter connected to it. Flight controller is what translates what you tell your quad to do with your transmitter into actual motor speed changes whereas radio receiver just takes the signals you send with your transmitter and relays them to the flight controller. Before you rush out and just buy a thousand dollars worth of stuff, i highly suggest you check out Joshua Bardwell's youtube - in particular his series on leaning to build a racing drone and his introductory flying videos. Feel free to ask any more questions, I do have half a clue at least - also welcome to the moneypit...er hobby. 

20190116_171039.jpg