Raspberry pi question: CSI and DPI port use at the same time?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
6 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

Hi,

I'd like to use my Raspberry Pi camera module with a display hat. The camera uses the CSI connector/interface, the display uses the DPI connector/interface. The product page for the display says that "it uses just about every pin on the Pi", and I'm wondering if this would affect compatibility with the camera module. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

(P.S. I wasn't exactly sure where this post would fit, but I thought the subject still fit within the forum's content range. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.)

CSI still can be used. What they meant was that it uses every normal PI gpio. Meaning it would be hard to connect anything else over them. The CSI and DSI interface should be unaffected.

EDIT:
As long as there is still room for the Camera connector to be plugged in with the screen also plugged in.

Hi,

I'd like to use my Raspberry Pi camera module with a display hat. The camera uses the CSI connector/interface, the display uses the DPI connector/interface. The product page for the display says that "it uses just about every pin on the Pi", and I'm wondering if this would affect compatibility with the camera module. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

(P.S. I wasn't exactly sure where this post would fit, but I thought the subject still fit within the forum's content range. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.)

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

6 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

Hi,

Thanks

CSI still can be used. What they meant was that it uses every normal PI gpio. Meaning it would be hard to connect anything else over them. The CSI and DSI interface should be unaffected.

EDIT:
As long as there is still room for the Camera connector to be plugged in with the screen also plugged in.

Are you planning to use the HDMI connector as well for an external output?

Because personally I wouldn't want to lose all those GPIO pins for a display when one that connects to HDMI would keep them free.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, timl132 said:

EDIT:

Great! It looks like there is room for the camera connector, and I see now that the display plugs directly into the GPIO pins (not the display ribbon connector on the board), so that would make sense why the camera would work, as it doesn't use GPIO.

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Are you planning to use the HDMI connector as well for an external output?

Because personally I wouldn't want to lose all those GPIO pins for a display when one that connects to HDMI would keep them free.

I'm not planning on using the HDMI connector, but this would be a handheld device I'm envisioning, and I'd like to keep it relatively compact and I don't plan on using anything else with GPIO for this project.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

Personally I'd get the touchscreen version then so at least the GPIO is not going to waste.

Are you willing to share what you are planning for it?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Personally I'd get the touchscreen version then so at least the GPIO is not going to waste.

Are you willing to share what you are planning for it?

That's a good idea about the touchscreen. Sure, probably should have done that before :). I'm trying to do an infrared night vision project. I've got the NoIR camera and have wired up a circuit with some IR LEDs, and got it working as a video streaming server (with motionpie). Right now though, to see anything in IR while moving about, I have to hold a phone, the Raspberry Pi in a case with the camera and battery attached, and the IR LED circuit. It'd be nice to eventually get it down into a sort of handheld camera form, and I figured a display hat would work well for that.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Very interesting.

I actually have the basic FHD camera on mine that I was going to use for cheap CCTV but found my Pi wasn't powerful enough to reliably encode the video stream. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it now, so always interested in what other people are doing.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Very interesting.

I actually have the basic FHD camera on mine that I was going to use for cheap CCTV but found my Pi wasn't powerful enough to reliably encode the video stream. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it now, so always interested in what other people are doing.

Yeah, I was interested in doing that as well but found that the stream was never very high quality. A few FPS at SD resolution. The hardest part for me so far in regards to portability was finding a simple power solution that was powerful enough for a Pi. Turns out Anker has a USB battery pack that allows for 5v 2.4A charging.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler