Why new member allowed to create a thread?

Hiya!
Just now, fasauceome said:

Perhaps another solution:

Force a user to customize their signature within 10 days or their account is deleted. Adding specs, catch phrases, what have you, will not only familiarize the user with their profile appearance but also have them use tools that reflect what they use the forum for. I didn't actually know how to customize my sig for a long time (it's a little counter intuitive for it to be separated from bio and profile customization) so teaching the tools as a requirement for a long term account would be useful.

It may work but if that does get implemented there would really need to be a tutorial to show stuff like how pcpartpicker works. It always helps to have a bit of support when joining a forum for the first time.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Perhaps another solution:

Force a user to customize their signature within 10 days or their account is deleted. Adding specs, catch phrases, what have you, will not only familiarize the user with their profile appearance but also have them use tools that reflect what they use the forum for. I didn't actually know how to customize my sig for a long time (it's a little counter intuitive for it to be separated from bio and profile customization) so teaching the tools as a requirement for a long term account would be useful.

Looks like a great idea but..there are some people who are hate being forced..its like one of those people once they see that you have to comment just to see the link on certain post (which they really need and they have to register for it) just leave and then went on to search on google for it..

I am trying to say that they are certain people who saw that forcing thing for the sake of good is a negative.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, 1kv said:

It may work but if that does get implemented there would really need to be a tutorial to show stuff like how pcpartpicker works. It always helps to have a bit of support when joining a forum for the first time.

PCPartPicker is nice but since it's not associated with LTT then it's a bit of a grey area when it comes to endorsing or even relying on an external site for forum info.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Hiya! said:

Looks like a great idea but..there are some people who are hate being forced..its like one of those people once they see that you have to comment just to see the link on certain post (which they really need and they have to register for it) just leave and then went on to search on google for it..

I am trying to say that they are certain people who saw that forcing thing for the sake of good is a negative.

Well, forcing someone to change their profile in order for it to become permanent is a good solution because before they customize their signature, they wouldn't lose any functionality of the forum, they'd be able to find other topics and respond or react on their own terms but without changing their profile in any way it wouldn't really seem like they want to stick around. The ideal scenario is not to lock anyone out of features while still having them explore the forum at their own pace.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, Laftpig said:

As a new member I joined to learn and ask questions. A friendly environment is always a plus. Your attitude about new members is quite disturbing but in the bigger picture who cares. Try putting your energy into answering new members questions. Be positive! 

Whats with you? i am not being negative..i am just stating fact and what i felt.

In fact i spend most of my time in this forum helping people rather on off topic sub forum.

Just because youre a new member that doesn't mean you're one of em.. no need to be offended

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Whats with you?

Not to throw shade but that's a bit of a negative way to address someone

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The ideal scenario is not to lock anyone out of features while still having them explore the forum at their own pace.

While i like your idea..i think guest account is much more pleasant for them i think.

It won't lock you from any of the forum features but you are well aware that your post will be deleted later on by the system..and you choose that out of your own free will.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

While i like your idea..i think guest account is much more pleasant for them i think.

It won't lock you from any of the forum features but you are well aware that your post will be deleted later on by the system..and you choose that out of your own free will.

What if the guest account could be transformed into a full account if you decide to stay?

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Your attitude about new members is quite disturbing but in the bigger picture who cares. Try putting your energy into answering new members questions. Be positive! 

Just now, fasauceome said:

Not to throw shade but that's a bit of a negative way to address someone

Negatives answer deserve a negative response although i don't think mine is a negative just because i say whats with you after all that comment..

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

What if the guest account could be transformed into a full account if you decide to stay?

Sounds like a plan!

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Reddit is a shit site where the mods are useless brainlets with god complex that censor any and all comments criticizing the site and/or them then ban any user they want based on their own ridiculous political beliefs (mods are often leftists who complain about internet censorship, ironically they censor any opinion they don't like, palpatine.jpg)

This site isn't.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

@Hiya!@1kv@fasauceome

Any drastic change dealing with new users would require Linus' and Luke's approval. Since it is a core part of how forums are. Just sayin'

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

@Hiya!@1kv@fasauceome

Any drastic change dealing with new users would require Linus' and Luke's approval. Since it is a core part of how forums are. Just sayin'

@LinusTech

There now he can take a gander

Although I wonder if propositions like ours have already been brought up.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, 42380750 said:

most new users are banned anyway so this is a non issue.

Most of those are spambots, ban evasions or alt accounts. No new member is banned without good reason.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, 42380750 said:

most new users are banned anyway so this is a non issue. despite the fact that on line 1 of the community standards it says "Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members." LOL

I don't think you'll be banned just because you are a new member. Admin and mods are pretty chill around here though some are a bit of a D but most of times they are cool.

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Reddit is a shit site where the mods are useless brainlets with god complex that censor any and all comments criticizing the site and/or them then ban any user they want based on their own ridiculous political beliefs (mods are often leftists who complain about internet censorship, ironically they censor any opinion they don't like, palpatine.jpg)

This site isn't.

I am not comparing reddit to LTT i am just..just read my post pls.

Fyi i've been on reddit and i am not going back.

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

@Hiya!@1kv@fasauceome

Dully noted.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Because its a forum and thats kinda the point of it all!

The guest feature doesn't sound too bad but, I'm not sure something like that could be implemented.

As far as I know, the platform the forum uses is kinda limited when it comes to major changes.

Also, that could possibly increase the number of spambots here which would be a pretty bad side effect.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

The guest feature doesn't sound too bad but, I'm not sure something like that could be implemented.

Yeah, I can see some trouble arising with the google sign ins and whatnot that people like myself use for convenience.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

Either way, LTT is the most active tech forum I know of and there are allot of members with over 1k posts.

That's what I noticed from the day I joined 'til now.

The amount of high post count, active users is immense.

Compared that to any other forum, you'll see what I mean soon enough.

It's the reason I spent so much time here, always another topic to read and potentially add something to myself.

1 hour ago, Laftpig said:

I’m a new member and joined to learn and ask questions. I’m new to computers and this site was very inviting. How do you expect people to learn without being able to ask questions?  I’m sure there was a time when you were in the same boat. Try having a little patience with people like me. Look I contributed? 

I get what the OP means, but I know how it feels when you want to learn but need help and need to ask questions.

I spent my fair share of time answering basic tech support questions here and in real life haha, sometimes I have a feeling users haven't used Google or the search button but other times I totally get why they are confused or that they have no idea what to search for; don't forget all of us more experienced techies know what to type into google.

It might sound dumb, but that is something an upcoming tech savvy user doesn't always know.

So there .. I also contributed ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

As far as I know, the platform the forum uses is kinda limited when it comes to major changes.

Also, that could possibly increase the number of spambots here which would be a pretty bad side effect.

Well then make the Guest account ban-able since there are plenty active member who can report the post but it would make the mods/admin more active..or just ban their ip permanently..i have visit some sites where i got banned just by swiching ip using VPN..and i mean permanently banned.

1 hour ago, Sfekke said:

That's what I noticed from the day I joined 'til now.

The amount of high post count, active users is immense.

Compared that to any other forum, you'll see what I mean soon enough.

It's the reason I spent so much time here, always another topic to read and potentially add something to myself.

Because the forum is growing by addressing issues and that's what i am trying to help here...i gave a recommendation for them to consider. Regardless whether it can be implemented or not, Its not up to me to decide. at least i tried.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

36 minutes ago, 42380750 said:

New users who aren't tech savvy are banned as "trolls"

There's difference between actual trolls, ignorant people and people who are new to tech. Trolls are quite easy to lure out as they tend to cling on their claims when proven wrong (and usually don't provide evidence when questioned). I've been here since beginning, and haven't seen any legit users banned just for being ignorant. Usually their fuel runs out before they get banned.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If I’m being completely honest, I joined just for a day so I could ask a few questions, and once I got done with those questions, I realized the community was really fun, nice, and an actual community, so I decided to stay, and I don’t regret it at all

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There's difference between actual trolls, ignorant people and people who are new to tech. Trolls are quite easy to lure out as they tend to cling on their claims when proven wrong (and usually don't provide evidence when questioned). I've been here since beginning, and haven't seen any legit users banned just for being ignorant. Usually their fuel runs out before they get banned.

I am sorry who are you exactly? you don't have any staff badges or status but you somehow have control like a moderator? at least from what i heard..

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

If I’m being completely honest, I joined just for a day so I could ask a few questions, and once I got done with those questions, I realized the community was really fun, nice, and an actual community, so I decided to stay, and I don’t regret it at all

Glad you have fun with us here...LTT could use more people like you

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

I heard that reddit wont allow a new member with 0 post to create a topic and they must contribute to the forum first by idk commenting?

Why LTT allow new member with 0 post to create a thread? most of them (at least from my own experience) just came and go.

They ask one or two question and then they will never be seen again.

Why? i mean does their account just going to waste space on the server to store their ID? or to prevent new member posting random comment so they can create a thread?

Some forums are like that.

Other forums wont let you rockon without the admin permission, a day or two later.

Prevents SPAM

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

I heard that reddit wont allow a new member with 0 post to create a topic and they must contribute to the forum first by idk commenting?

Why LTT allow new member with 0 post to create a thread? most of them (at least from my own experience) just came and go.

They ask one or two question and then they will never be seen again.

Why? i mean does their account just going to waste space on the server to store their ID? or to prevent new member posting random comment so they can create a thread?

lol, If someone joins their most likely needing help. If you restrict that they would probably make a new account, learn they cant post, and just leave making a worse problem.

It was said before, but my take on this is: allow the creation of a temp account where the user can make one thread and ask a question and once the issue is solved (they may have to mark it as solved in the thread) the account is locked and lost BUT the post is NOT. This way when people search having a similar or the same issue, they find their answer.

Discord has something of a temp profile system, I don't recall exactly how it works though.