Why new member allowed to create a thread?

Hiya!

I heard that reddit wont allow a new member with 0 post to create a topic and they must contribute to the forum first by idk commenting?

Why LTT allow new member with 0 post to create a thread? most of them (at least from my own experience) just came and go.

They ask one or two question and then they will never be seen again.

Why? i mean does their account just going to waste space on the server to store their ID? or to prevent new member posting random comment so they can create a thread?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

This is part of what I call the "Linus Tech Support" problem. People see that users who have tech knowledge can provide free help, and they take advantage of that. I personally feel like the user count on the main page is utterly useless for this reason, since many many users come and either post a single time or only post tech support problems.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This is part of what I call the "Linus Tech Support" problem. People see that users who have tech knowledge can provide free help, and they take advantage of that. I personally feel like the user count on the main page is utterly useless for this reason, since many many users come and either post a single time or only post tech support problems.

Either way, LTT is the most active tech forum I know of and there are allot of members with over 1k posts.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I’m a new member and joined to learn and ask questions. I’m new to computers and this site was very inviting. How do you expect people to learn without being able to ask questions?  I’m sure there was a time when you were in the same boat. Try having a little patience with people like me. Look I contributed? 

5 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Either way, LTT is the most active tech forum I know of and there are allot of members with over 1k posts.

It's nice that that's the case, and I think it would be healthy for the actual activity level of the forum to force new users to actually interact with other threads and learn a thing or two by exploring the search function before just doing a fire and forget topic about their bluescreen problem. It would probably help diminish the amount of threads that have users not understanding the quote function, or not asking Linus himself to answer their question (as funny as that is)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 hours ago, Laftpig said:

I’m a new member and joined to learn and ask questions. I’m new to computers and this site was very inviting. How do you expect people to learn without being able to ask questions?  I’m sure there was a time when you were in the same boat. Try having a little patience with people like me. Look I contributed? 

Heeeyy now i am not having problem with that..or you might not read my post properly.

For sure people should be able to ask question by creating a post but most member just create a new account..ask one question and then disappear..that is the problem there.

This is a forum not a "TECH SUPPORT" where you could ask a question then leave once your problem has been solved...i mean you can literally do that but a forum should be a place to hangout,discuss/share information...not as a tech support.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

5 minutes ago, Laftpig said:

Well props to you for not joining the forum with a tech support question, and sparking an actual discussion, we're glad to have you. On top of encouraging this behavior, learning the ins and outs of the forum itself would help lots of new users either solve problems more effectively with their own searches or ask more effective questions and respond to people helping more effectively. It won't be long until you see a new user posting the same topic multiple times when they don't get a response, or just filling their own topic with posts absent of quoting people. We do our best but we can't easily help everyone.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's nice that that's the case, and I think it would be healthy for the actual activity level of the forum to force new users to actually interact with other threads and learn a thing or two by exploring the search function before just doing a fire and forget topic about their bluescreen problem. It would probably help diminish the amount of threads that have users not understanding the quote function, or not asking Linus himself to answer their question (as funny as that is)

Nah, linus is full-time tech support on his forum... wdym?

-- Jokes aside

I think that would probably help the forum but I always felt super uninvited whenever I would venture on to reddit or something and be forced to comment and help before asking a question that no one else seems to know the answer to. I dont think it'll end up being implemented.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

A feature I'd like to see is that if someone just makes an account, does the usual "hey guys my computer worked then it turned off now it wont turn on again plz help thank" and then doesn't bother to log on to see the post then the post gets deleted.

If a user can't be bothered to come back to their own post to actually see the advice that has been given, then why bother hosting their thread? It's not like the thread is going to be of any use to them if they log out indefinitely and never see it again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new members joining and learning a thing or two about computers. But when people say "oh hey guys help me out" and then log out indefinitely never to see your advice, I can't help but feel a little bit annoyed.

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

I think that would probably help the forum but I always felt super uninvited whenever I would venture on to reddit or something and be forced to comment and help before asking a question that no one else seems to know the answer to.

Well then you should answer the question that you actually know the answer or just engage in those conversation.

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I dont think it'll end up being implemented. 

It works..at least on reddit..don;t know about other forum though.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

Well then you should answer the question that you actually know the answer or just engage in those conversation.

On the other hand there are opportunities to simply react to other people's content with our reaction system, and you wouldn't have to provide support. There are plenty of build threads or build logs you can just chip in on with your opinion and you'd be able to accommodate a behavior minimum no sweat. 

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

A feature I'd like to see is that if someone just makes an account, does the usual "hey guys my computer worked then it turned off now it wont turn on again plz help thank" and then doesn't bother to log on to see the post then the post gets deleted.

If a user can't be bothered to come back to their own post to actually see the advice that has been given, then why bother hosting their thread? It's not like the thread is going to be of any use to them if they log out indefinitely and never see it again.

This also makes me wonder if old inactive accounts are deleted. I know that the user number is a fun stat to push at the main page, right next to the all time peak, but it feels meaningless when there's all this clutter.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Totally agree on that..i've seen enough post where the OP didn't even respond to the replies..they didnt even bother to say thank you..what a pri...(relax etna...hmm kay) jk aside..they probably just did what you said or they just read the replies..tried them and founds out that its fixed their problem and then leave because that is what they are here for apparently..(no offense intended)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

9 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I think that would probably help the forum but I always felt super uninvited whenever I would venture on to reddit or something and be forced to comment and help before asking a question that no one else seems to know the answer to. I dont think it'll end up being implemented.

It's the same for me. I never bothered staying any longer than 6 months on reddit/Tom's Hardware because of the uninviting feel. 

LTT forums has a much more friendly vibe imo and that's what keeps people coming.

Every forum will experience the issues reddit has but that doesn't mean they have to go about implementing the same solution that reddit has.

Interesting that as we discuss this, a new member creates an account and asks a tech support question. In the hopes of gaining a unique perspective on the discussion, I'll ask @Luca2490 to say hello and maybe share some feelings.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

On the other hand there are opportunities to simply react to other people's content with our reaction system, and you wouldn't have to provide support. There are plenty of build threads or build logs you can just chip in on with your opinion and you'd be able to accommodate a behavior minimum no sweat

And that would probably would make them or at least inspire them to actually become an active member..

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

It's the same for me. I never bothered staying any longer than 6 months on reddit/Tom's Hardware because of the uninviting feel. 

LTT forums has a much more friendly vibe imo and that's what keeps people coming.

Every forum will experience the issues reddit has but that doesn't mean they have to go about implementing the same solution that reddit has.

It might not be easy for everyone..some agreed some doesn't..i mean to be fair..LTT is the best forum i've ever been..the UI is easy to understand and pleasing to use unlike reddit..and the member is less toxic.

But while it does keep people coming..those number on the main page is kinda useless..

Guess its a blessing and curse at the same time huh? just like when we lit those bonfire in dark souls.

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Interesting that as we discuss this, a new member creates an account and asks a tech support question. In the hopes of gaining a unique perspective on the discussion, I'll ask @Luca2490 to say hello and maybe share some feelings.

You actually did that? lol the commitment

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

You actually did that? lol the commitment

Might as well have a new user weigh in on a discussion about new users.

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

It might not be easy for everyone..some agreed some doesn't..i mean to be fair..LTT is the best forum i've ever been..the UI is easy to understand and pleasing to use unlike reddit..and the member is less toxic.

But while it does keep people coming..those number on the main page is kinda useless..

Guess its a blessing and curse at the same time huh? just like when we lit those bonfire in dark souls.

Yeah, definitely a blessing and a curse.

Reddit is really a horrible place for a first time user. Subreddits are confusing and the site layout is fresh out of 2006. 

LTT forums has a nicer UI and community imo. Granted, this forum isn't perfect but it's definitely a lot better than other forums I've been on.

Numbers mean nothing for a forum because you don't know if it's an advertising bot, someone who will stick around on the forum or someone who comes here for tech support once.

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

fresh out of 2006.  

You just describe the whole thing about reddit sir.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

36 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This is part of what I call the "Linus Tech Support" problem.

23 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

This is a forum not a "TECH SUPPORT" where you could ask a question then leave once your problem has been solved.

Problem is, for you at least, that tech support and new users asking questions is just why this forum was created. Linus wanted something where users could get easy and fast help. The kind of help Linus can't really provide via Twitter or WAN Show. If you have to post problems to somewhere, why not here. Thats the consideration administration has pushed whole lifetime of forums. Which is why there aren't any time limits, posting limits, and even post dumping ruling was taken off.

If member joins to post issue or question on what to buy, and they get good answer, forum has already served its purpose. Those people aren't the issue. Bigger issue are people who join just to post some odd meme, old thing or anything as random. Or join to ask question then never come back to see replies or continue conversation.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Problem is, for you at least, that tech support and new users asking questions is just why this forum was created. Linus wanted something where users could get easy and fast help. The kind of help Linus can't really provide via Twitter or WAN Show. If you have to post problems to somewhere, why not here. Thats the consideration administration has pushed whole lifetime of forums. Which is why there aren't any time limits, posting limits, and even post dumping ruling was taken off.

If member joins to post issue or question on what to buy, and they get good answer, forum has already served its purpose. Those people aren't the issue. Bigger issue are people who join just to post some odd meme, old thing or anything as random. Or join to ask question then never come back to see replies or continue conversation.

In a sense I do see what you mean. Older LTT videos being tutorials does make it seem as though this forum is all about the support, but it does strike me as odd that people come around with a "dear mister Linus" and are more than likely to never get a response from him despite what seems to be the spirit of LGM's connection to this forum. Obviously Linus can't possibly oversee the amount of questions the forum gets but also the fact that people ask tech support questions here isn't really the issue (otherwise I'd be a massive hypocrite), rather the users who see this exclusively as a tech support forum and don't really participate in all the other things there are to appreciate about the forum.

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You're 100% right. The thing is that the forum has evolved over time. Things have changed and the forum's purposes has really shifted over the past 6 years. 

It's subconsciously shifted from a tech support forum to a forum where people can ask anything about tech. It also has things like Off Topic where you can talk about nearly anything whether it's tech or not. It's so much more than tech support now.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt as I'm talking from my own perspective.

11 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

join to ask question then never come back to see replies or continue conversation.

This is what i am talking about..one rarely seems to respond.

11 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If member joins to post issue or question on what to buy, and they get good answer, forum has already served its purpose.

Still though...there's no escaping the similarities to a tech support.

Its kinda..idk odd for a forum.

Wait i have a solution..why not allow them to create guest account? when one can ask a question and then the account and the post would be deleted in like 10 days or 1 month if must..but the user must be offered a choice between creating a guest account or forum account and then give them warning about the guest account policy..because if filling up registration fields is a no for them then they will likely choose to create a guest account..that'll be great unless there are another reason behind that user counter on the main page  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

Wait i have a solution..why not allow them to create guest account? when one can ask a question and then the account and the post would be deleted in like 10 days or 1 month if must..but the user must be offered a choice between creating a guest account or forum account and then give them warning about the guest account policy..because if filling up registration fields is a no for them then they i'll  likely choose to create a guest account..that'll be great unless there are another reason behind that user counter on the main page  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Perhaps another solution:

Force a user to customize their signature within 10 days or their account is deleted. Adding specs, catch phrases, what have you, will not only familiarize the user with their profile appearance but also have them use tools that reflect what they use the forum for. I didn't actually know how to customize my sig for a long time (it's a little counter intuitive for it to be separated from bio and profile customization) so teaching the tools as a requirement for a long term account would be useful.

Primary PC:

As a new member I joined to learn and ask questions. A friendly environment is always a plus. Your attitude about new members is quite disturbing but in the bigger picture who cares. Try putting your energy into answering new members questions. Be positive! 

1 minute ago, Laftpig said:

Your attitude about new members is quite disturbing

In what sense? We welcome new users but our gripes are with the ones who don't really treat the forum right and don't really bother using all the tools necessary.

Primary PC: