Buying "budget": build to get me to gen 3 ryzen pls help me pick parts

So im going with the r5 2600 and will resell once gen 3 ryzen comes out and ill buy one of the top 2 there, my question is what mobo do i get considering that future upgrade? i really know nothing about mobos

edit: doing this so i can actually stream in the meantime, current cpu is dying on me, unable to have rb6s and discord running let alone stream

Why bother selling your R5 2600? Unless you've got a CPU bottleneck or your PC is too slow, then there's no reason to upgrade.

No gen 3 Ryzen boards have been revealed yet. B450/X470 might work but nobody knows until gen 3 gets revealed.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

No gen 3 Ryzen boards have been revealed yet. B450/X470 might work but nobody knows until gen 3 gets revealed.

As long as AMD isny lying about their 4 year socket support there will be no reason for it not to.

Espcially since SP3 still works with both zen 1 and zen 2

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Why bother selling your R5 2600? Unless you've got a CPU bottleneck or your PC is too slow, then there's no reason to upgrade.

oh sorry, i thought that they were am4 socketed and would just be straight drop in upgrades? im new to the red team.

basically my current cpu is 5-6yrs old and is starting to struggle, i want to have the best cpu available and was waiting for gen 3 ryzen but ive had enough and now knowing that its 6 months or so away my plan was to do this in the meantime so i can get back to streaming. currently my cpu can barely have rb6s and discord running.

1 minute ago, pepperz said:

oh sorry, i thought that they were am4 socketed and would just be straight drop in upgrades? im new to the red team.

It may be, nobody knows right now. 

5 minutes ago, pepperz said:

basically my current cpu is 5-6yrs old and is starting to struggle, i want to have the best cpu available and was waiting for gen 3 ryzen but ive had enough and now knowing that its 6 months or so away my plan was to do this in the meantime so i can get back to streaming. currently my cpu can barely have rb6s and discord running.

I don't really think it's worth building a system from scratch to use it for just 6 months. 

What CPU and motherboard do you currently have?

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

It may be, nobody knows right now. 

I don't really think it's worth building a system from scratch to use it for just 6 months. 

What CPU and motherboard do you currently have?

well ill only lose around $150 if i do this so.

4670k ocd to 4.3 with a sabertooth z77 iirc

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

As long as AMD isny lying about their 4 year socket support there will be no reason for it not to.

Espcially since SP3 still works with both zen 1 and zen 2

they seem to hold true on everything else so i thought itd be the same for the gen 3

3 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Why not just wait? Or just use an old used system that won't devalue much.

current pc wont let me stream bigger games, i.e rb6s and the like. its barely able to have rb6s and discord running at the same time without some stuttering.  and i cant figure out why so i was just gonna do this and accept the $150 loss

If you want Ryzen 2 (3000 series) wait for it... the newer chipsets will support PCI-e 4.0 and other goodies along side improved motherboards for the more cores, you won't want to get an entry B350 for a 12 cores Ryzen 2.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

If you want Ryzen 2 (3000 series) wait for it... the newer chipsets will support PCI-e 4.0 and other goodies along side improved motherboards for the more cores, you won't want to get an entry B350 for a 12 cores Ryzen 2.

oh id be happy to get a higher end board, its just that ive no idea what is good.

Just now, pepperz said:

oh id be happy to get a higher end board, its just that ive no idea what is good.

What exactly do you have today?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

What exactly do you have today?

my current system is a 4670k and a sabertooth z77, for whatever reason i can barely have discord and rb6s open let alone be able to stream that, which is the thing i want to do. been waiting for 3 months now as i assumed the 3000 series would be early 2019 launch but alas it is not. 

12 minutes ago, pepperz said:

current pc wont let me stream bigger games, i.e rb6s and the like. its barely able to have rb6s and discord running at the same time without some stuttering.  and i cant figure out why so i was just gonna do this and accept the $150 loss

Could just upgrade current pc then. What are the specs?

Steve

What motherboard you want will depend on what kind of DDR4 RAM you will be purchasing. A lot of B350M Boards will only support up to 2933mhz ram. A lot of B450M boards will support up to 3200mhz ram if OC'd. X370 and X470 boards will support much higher ram frequencies and have a lot more options, But in turn will be a lot more expensive. Personally I went with a B350 board and 2400mhz ram and it performs fantastic although I hear that Ryzen performs much better with faster ram.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

Just now, pepperz said:

my current system is a 4670k and a sabertooth z77, for whatever reason i can barely have discord and rb6s open let alone be able to stream that, which is the thing i want to do. been waiting for 3 months now as i assumed the 3000 series would be early 2019 launch but alas it is not. 

How much RAM?

Steve

Just now, Laputacake said:

How much RAM?

8gb, though i dont know if this matters as im never at 100% utilisation but my cpu is always pinned. definitely could be wrong though thats why im here

1 minute ago, Brent744 said:

What motherboard you want will depend on what kind of DDR4 RAM you will be purchasing. A lot of B350M Boards will only support up to 2933mhz ram. A lot of B450M boards will support up to 3200mhz ram if OC'd. X370 and X470 boards will support much higher ram frequencies and have a lot more options, But in turn will be a lot more expensive. Personally I went with a B350 board and 2400mhz ram and it performs fantastic although I hear that Ryzen performs much better with faster ram.

id be going for 16gb of 3200 i think

8gb, though i dont know if this matters as im never at 100% utilisation but my cpu is always pinned. definitely could be wrong though thats why im here

More ram and get an I7 4770k 

Steve

Make sure your OS is healthy and not carrying needless bloatware.

Actual Streaming requires 16gb of memory, however you should still be able to stream using QuickSync (iGPU) on OBS, and gaming with discord open should also be doable so make sure your system is also okay.

Either ways I'd really wait Ryzen 2 should be here by March this year.

Personal Desktop":

id be going for 16gb of 3200 i think

A B450 board would work just fine but you'll have to get 2933mhz Ram and OC to 3200. Best bet is to get X470 board so it can support a 3200mhz base freq ram and give you the ability to upgrade to higher freq ram down the road.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Make sure your OS is healthy and not carrying needless bloatware.

Actual Streaming requires 16gb of memory, however you should still be able to stream using QuickSync (iGPU) on OBS, and gaming with discord open should also be doable so make sure your system is also okay.

Either ways I'd really wait Ryzen 2 should be here by March this year.

any suggestions as to how to check os health etc?

Unless you have a really low end board, like the ones with A320 chipset, or some first generation boards like the ones with B350 chipset, your board is around 85-90% sure it will work with Ryzen 3rd gen.

What's not known right now is what motherboards will support pci-e 4.0 and which won't ... the ones that won't will simply run at pci-e 3.0 so you won't lose anything.  The problem with pci-e 4.0 is that it requires the distances to be much smaller, I think it was maximum 165 mm between cpu and pci-e slot, any longer distance and an extra chip (like a signal amplifier) is required. So most boards that have the traces shorter and routed nicely without interference from other things would most likely be able to support pci-e 4.0

48 minutes ago, pepperz said:

i want to have the best cpu available

Get a 2700X it's the best available AMD CPU and it's a great choice especially for the price.  It will be a good CPU for 5 to 7 years.

I have a X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI and I really like it.  Some say the bios isn't the best, but after setting it up I never needed to access it again. 

2 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

Get a 2700X it's the best available AMD CPU and it's a great choice especially for the price.  

I have a X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI and I really like it.  Some say the bios isn't the best, but after setting it up I never needed to access it again. 

well see with the intent of upgrading to the 3000 series on launch the 2700x would be a bit overkill for me rn