Need help on selecting a single monitor for gaming

Konrath

I am interested in getting a monitor for gaming, as right now I just play on my 32" Insignia TV.  I have never purchased a monitor before, so I really need help in finding a suitable one.  

Things I would like to see:

G-sync (I run a GTX 780 ACX SC)

1440p (or should I just stay with getting a 1080p?  4k will be too expensive for me when they start going on the market for the first 6 months or so)

23-27"

Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

If you want a true "gaming monitor", get something like the benq xl2420te. 120hz refresh rate with 1ms response time. And it looks pretty damn good for a tn. That's if you care about have the ultimate edge for hardcore gaming, if you're a weekend gamer, then get an ips panel.

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)