Let's upgrade/update my gaming PC!

redfoot12

So I did this build in 2013:

and it's gotten little use (especially when considering how much I paid for some of these components back in the day) over the last few years. I plan to keep the CPU/Mobo/RAM for now and see how things shake out with Ryzen 3000 later this year. For now I would like see if I can get my CPU to a stable ~4.5 GHz, maybe higher, to keep pace with a more recent GPU. I've messed around with overclocking the CPU but it's currently running at stock speed.

I'm thinking 1070/1070 ti/2060 (open to other suggestions here as well) for graphics I'd like to get close to 1440p gaming.

I plan to keep that monitor as a second display but would like a newer monitor better suited for gaming.

I may need to add some additional case fans as I currently only have what came with the case. I figure my power supply and case are still good. Case isn't windowed so I don't really care about pretty lights inside.

I'd also like some other suggestions for accessories. That keyboard and mouse still work fine but the mouse is approaching 10 years old. I need to get a new gaming headset and/or speakers. A decent mouse pad. 

In terms of games, I plan to play mainly first person shooters-- Doom, Overwatch, Far Cry series, Crysis series, Bioshock games (I know, I know).

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

id throw a 2060 or a used 1070TI  at it, thats the only suggestion i really have

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The only real upgrade I see off the bat is a new graphics card. The new 2060s are about $350 and it will probably give you some good performance.  

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

10 hours ago, Kdog said:

The only real upgrade I see off the bat is a new graphics card. The new 2060s are about $350 and it will probably give you some good performance.  

keep in mind this is not available till next week and could face early availability problems if you don't get on it asap. Some were holding out on RTX cards but now alot of reviews are saying buy it and buy it fast.

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

1 hour ago, GeoSquigg said:

keep in mind this is not available till next week and could face early availability problems if you don't get on it asap. Some were holding out on RTX cards but now alot of reviews are saying buy it and buy it fast.

Yeah--I've signed up for email notifications on Nvidia's and tracker sites. My refresh button trigger finger is ready!

If you don't need RTX i don't see why you should pay for it. If you are lucky used and new 1070(ti) prices will drop a bit at 2060 launch. The rumored 1160 might be a good value. But who knows. 

I plan to do some overclocking of my CPU this weekend. 4.5 GHz is my goal. I'd like to see how much higher I can go (without delidding).

Thanks for the mouse suggestions, Agent. My mouse budget is around $50-60. 

I think I'll give the Hyper Cloud headset a try.

Anyone familiar with this monitor? It was recommended on Tom's Hardware. It was on sale for $360 but now it's gone back up :(

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2719dgf/apd/210-arcj/monitors-monitor-accessories

3 minutes ago, Manderis said:

If you don't need RTX i don't see why you should pay for it. If you are lucky used and new 1070(ti) prices will drop a bit at 2060 launch. The rumored 1160 might be a good value. But who knows. 

I'm normally a little cagey about buying used computer parts. I guess it's kind of relative, but what would be a good price for a used 1070 ti?

Considering the launch price of the 2060 with 349 $ (availability provided) that is supposed to be slightly better than a 1070 ti you have to look at 250 - 290 $ used imo to be worth the effort. I don't know how realistic it is. Check craigslist at your home. It is highly depending on how many people try to flip there used hardware because they bought a flashy new 2080 (ti) 

So I was able to get a used 1070 ti for $285. Hopefully it's not a dud.