Jensen Huang (Nvidia CEO) Responds to AMD, " it's underwhelming-- We'll crush it"

Deus Voltage

PCworld  released an article last night detailing Jensen's response to AMD. Nvidia's CEO seems very dismissive of AMD, stating the following: 

"The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new,” Huang said. “[There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

When asked about the launch of the AMD card itself, he said the following:

"It’s a weird launch, maybe they thought of it this morning,” Huang quipped before laughing halfheartedly at his own dig and mentioning how he likes to riff on the competition sometimes. Still, it’s clear what Huang thinks as he again reiterated: “It’s underwhelming.”

Jensen was also somewhat dismissive of FreeSync:

“We never competed,” Huang said of upcoming FreeSync support. “(FreeSync) was never proven to work. As you know, we invented the area of adaptive sync. The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work. They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards.” 

Lisa Su from AMD responded to Jensen by saying the following:

“What I would say is that we’re very excited about Radeon VII, and I would probably suggest that he hasn’t seen it yet.” 

My opinion:

Honestly, this is just getting ridiculous at this point. I think this could have perhaps been avoided if AMD, as some here commented, released an 8Gb version for a lesser price to compete more aggressively. 

3 hours ago, Deus Voltage said:

“We never competed,” Huang said of upcoming FreeSync support. “(FreeSync) was never proven to work. As you know, we invented the area of adaptive sync. The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work. They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards.” 

That's a bit over the top IMO. There's over 4 times more FreeSync monitors than G-Sync ones and from the user feedback that I've seen, people are quite happy with how it works.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

PCworld  released an article last night detailing Jensen's response to AMD. Nvidia's CEO seems very dismissive of AMD, stating the following: 

When asked about the launch of the AMD card itself, he said the following:

Jensen was also somewhat dismissive of FreeSync:

Lisa Su from AMD responded to Jensen by saying the following:

My opinion:

Honestly, this is just getting ridiculous at this point. I think this could have perhaps been avoided if AMD, as some here commented, released an 8Gb version for a lesser price to compete more aggressively. 

maybe we might need to wait for 'Navi' atleast thats the AMD fanboys are hoping for 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

This is weird considering these two are related. https://babeltechreviews.com/nvidias-ceo-is-the-uncle-of-amds-ceo/

Must make family reunions awkward. ?

It's a pretty expected response from Huang to be honest, what else would he say?

i mean, he not wrong in that the performance isnt amazing.

though we would think that it would be more expencive considering the ammount of Vram present. 

Vega is an afterthought and pretty much a vent hole for dies that didnt make it to becoming server dies. 

im expecting 2 lower skews to increase the per die profit.

Did someone piss over his garden or something???

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

them there are a fightn' words...

I really hope he's wrong, another two generations of what we currently have is an awful thought.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The problem for Nvidia isn’t AMD right now, it’s Nvidia themselves. If they just released the new RTX cards at the same price of the predecessor 10xx cards then AMD wouldn’t even have a shot at getting some real market share away from Nvidia!

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

8 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

That's a bit over the top IMO. There's over 4 times more FreeSync monitors than G-Sync ones and from the user feedback that I've seen, people are quite happy about how it works.

The whole thing is over the top, IMO drama fights are stupid either way just show off your product and let the reviewers tell how well it performs.

IIRC there are a few crappy freesync monitors that flicker or have ghosting, but yeah most of them people are happy with, and its kinda ironic as Nvidia just allowed Freesync support themselves.

Really hope Navi can shut them up or we're looking at 2021 possibly for AMD's GPU Zen equivalent: Arcturus

Or Intel actually pulls a functioning high-end discrete GPU out of it's ass in 2020

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

He's just pissed because he has a tiny Huang :D

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The whole thing is over the top, IMO drama fights are stupid either way just show off your product and let the reviewers tell how well it performs.

IIRC there are a few crappy freesync monitors that flicker or have ghosting, but yeah most of them people are happy with, and its kinda ironic as Nvidia just allowed Freesync support themselves.

Sometimes I get the impression companies like Nvidia get to a position like this and allow themselves a little moment of childish gloating or playing with the competition.   MS used to do it every now and then.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Sometimes I get the impression companies like Nvidia get to a position like this and allow themselves a little moment of childish gloating or playing with the competition.   MS used to do it every now and then.

I recall jensen made a nearly identical comment regarding  Radeon 7000 series vs GTX 600

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I mean that was my original impression as well. Underwhelming. 

But after thinking about it, i still have doubts as to the manufacturability  of TU104 and TU102. Amd's 7nm vega is literally half the size of those chips. . 

And when considering what VII brings to the table, Vega went from being a dumpster fire to something i might actually buy. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

And when considering what VII brings to the table, Vega went from being a dumpster fire to something i might actually buy. 

Yeah, I only think that 16GBs of HBM2 is a bit too much considering its cost (GamersNexus analyzed the cost of using HBM2 vs GDDR5X on Vega)... If they used less memory on the Radeon VII it could have been $599... And it should have been that much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I mean that was my original impression as well. Underwhelming. 

But after thinking about it, i still have doubts as to the manufacturability  of TU104 and TU102. Amd's 7nm vega is literally half the size of those chips. . 

I really haven't looked that hard at vega on a technical level (the benchmarks and price were enough for me not to be interested), but I always got the impression it was like the rest of their GCN,  I.E AMD's efforts making that thing better resembled that of a one legged dog pissing uphill into the wind.

Given that Lisa and Jensen are related, that's gotta to be some family banter. XD

Serious time, though. I can sort of feel Jensen's statement reverberating when the Radeon 7 was introduced, though it was more to do with people expecting Navi rather than 7nm Vega (which many of us knew was coming). 

One thing though. 

29 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

Yeah, except DLSS and RT are still being refined and developed. It's true that NVIDIA has a head start in introducing some form of real-time ray-traced elements, but they need more time in the blender to make it more than just something for the early adopters. 

And another 

29 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work. They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards.

Welcome to open standards, Huang. Where you'll often find products that don't work as well as they should. 

Doesn't mean FreeSync sucks. On a good monitor, it works very well. Not as well as G-SYNC, but 90+% as well. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Really hope Navi can shut them up or we're looking at 2021 possibly for AMD's GPU Zen equivalent: Arcturus

Or Intel actually pulls a functioning high-end discrete GPU out of it's ass in 2020

I heard Raja Koduri is a fast worker. But seriously, we'll see what Intel can do and whether or not they will target creators or gaming.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

NVIDIA are very cocky right now, they've been in an advantageous position now for so long they can. I'd say Epic Games could be put in that discussion too.

9 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

I don't know why people always have this notion that you need to be best of the best, fastest of the fastest. AMD proved several times with RX480 that that's not the case. And then again with RX580 despite being just a mild refresh. And then again with RX590. Despite being a yet another mild refresh. Vega 64 cards after receiving some fine wine and price drops are actually really decent cards now and come cheaper than GTX 1080 while also being a bit faster in most cases. The muh power consumption narrative really got old. Like 3 years ago almost every system had like 750W PSU basically as standard and now all of a sudden everyone is freaking out on 500W PSU's for some reason. Stop being poor and buy a 750W PSU and you won't even give a damn what GPU is running in your system. It's not like you're playing games 24/7 that consumption would actually matter. Coz in idle, they are all the same.

So, bottom line, Radeon 7 actually doesn't look bad at all. S it has a bit higher power consumption, big fucking deal. If I wasn't on GTX 1080Ti already I'd probably even consider it. Or even old Vega 64 if I was aiming at that performance level. When new, they were too expensive, but now they are more reasonably priced.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I don't know why people always have this notion that you need to be best of the best, fastest of the fastest. AMD proved several times with RX480 that that's not the case. And then again with RX580 despite being just a mild refresh. And then again with RX590. Despite being a yet another mild refresh. Vega 64 cards after receiving some fine wine and price drops are actually really decent cards now and come cheaper than GTX 1080 while also being a bit faster in most cases. The muh power consumption narrative really got old. Like 3 years ago almost every system had like 750W PSU basically as standard and now all of a sudden everyone is freaking out on 500W PSU's for some reason. Stop being poor and buy a 750W PSU and you won't even give a damn what GPU is running in your system. It's not like you're playing games 24/7 that consumption would actually matter. Coz in idle, they are all the same.

So, bottom line, Radeon 7 actually doesn't look bad at all. S it has a bit higher power consumption, big fucking deal. If I wasn't on GTX 1080Ti already I'd probably even consider it. Or even old Vega 64 if I was aiming at that performance level. When new, they were too expensive, but now they are more reasonably priced.

One word: Mindshare

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Being the best of the best is important in marketing and company PR.  There is a reason Nvidia have a better market share over AMD and it's not because their top 3 cards have no competition. 

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Being the best of the best is important in marketing and company PR.  There is a reason Nvidia have a better market share over AMD and it's not because their top 3 cards have no competition. 

I'd say that NVIDIA knows how to market their products. It's why the GeForce brand is strong. 

As I said in another thread, it's easier to market ray-tracing than HBM2. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

One word: Mindshare

And it's proof to the investors they can make the goods.   The XX80 and XX80ti do not exist for consumer demand, they exist because A. you have to push the envelop all the time or you get overtaken, B. the investors want to see you actually proving you have the metal in the game, C. Those cards are good for mid tier next year if all else fails.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That trickles down to creators as well, if there is more hype around NVIDIA products creators will cater to that interest. Look at the ratio of LTT videos featuring or containing NVIDIA and AMD cards.