Desktop for flight sims past/future?

Confused2018

My brother wants to get into flight sims now and I am trying to convnce him that he does not need to spend a trunk full of cash. He is currently using a Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 with a HD/3000 onboard GPU.  Dont think that GPU will cut it at high levels. Currently playing IL-2 1946, maybe Cliffs of Dover if we can find the DVD!

I do not want to go so cheap that the system is not worth upgrading if some company FINALLY comes up with a new flight sim.  I'm looking for a balance between cost/current performance/future upgrade.

Output will be to a large flat screen TV

He has k/b, mouse flight controls.

We are in Canada. Budget under 1k if possible.

I put this together, but I think, overkill?

Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 BE 42 CFM CPU Cooler (place holder, as I want something better than the Intel stock fan but quiet)
Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 

Kingston Valueram 8 gb ddr4 2666
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card
Cooler Master - Elite 371 ATX Mid Tower Case (Place holder. A nothing special case will do)
Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (PSU quiet as possible)
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Total before tax $1167.00

I think that with help that I can get the price down and still meet the requirements above.

Thanks for reading/suggestions.

8 hours ago, Confused2018 said:

FINALLY comes up with a new flight sim. 

Xplane is very new. Updated around once a month. Ever heard of it?

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Hello Mad153,

Thanks, I will show that to him.  I'm still trying to figure out what I can do to save some $. Part of me wonders how much prices may drop for the components that I selected when the newer components come out.

A non k Intel cpu makes no point with a z370 board, you can do better with a rx580 8 gb

Dual channel ram is always nice and I don't know and just assume but with high render distance you might need higher vram

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GJC9YT

Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GJC9YT/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($238.97 @ Amazon Canada) 

Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.63 @ Vuugo) 

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg Canada) 

Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($47.95 @ Vuugo) 

Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card ($297.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 

Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($70.99 @ PC-Canada) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Memory Express) 

Total: $1006.46

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-10 11:44 EST-0500

And get a cheap Windows key for 10 $

And maybe a better psu I don't know if it is any good and don't want to do research right now, the corsair you choose is a great choice. But i am using my phone so I forgot the budget and pcpp and forum tabs suck on mobile ?

Thanks Manderis.

The budget was under 1K if at all possible.   Part of me almost wants to get something like this ACER TC-780-ES11 and add a better GPU and power supply.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_1203_124&item_id=123554

You wishlist doesn't seem to be public. 

Don't go prebuild. That is something almost everyone would tell you here in the forum. 

Some exceptions aside it is almost never a good deal. 

The rx580 8 gb is a potent gpu. 

Maybe you can get a used 1070 or 980(ti) somewhere for that price. But I don't know your lokal used market. Maybe it is flushed with mining cards

Thanks Manderis

Local market isokay, but as I found, a number of the the relatively recent used cards are close in price to a new 1050 for example. 

I think my slap a GPU into a prebuild is just me wanting this to be done, but, I will discuss the budget with my brother and see just how commited he is to this, as I do not want him to spend $$ on capacity that he may not use in 6 months.