GTX 1070ti FE + NZXT H500i GPU Vertical Mount

Doovid

Hey guys, first post here and I was wondering whether this would be a good idea or not. I like the aesthetic of the vertical mount look but I've been reading how it can cause temps to go up because of the GPU being too close to the side panel. So basically my question was to do this or not. Do for aesthetic pleasure or don't do because ______ . Thanks!

It's not a good idea from a thermal stand point to use most cases, the H500i included, vertical mounting setup.  They just put the graphics card too close to the wall of the case, essentially suffocating any air flow from the card's fans.  If you really want a vertical mounted GPU, cable mod makes a kit that works pretty good and it'll fit into the H500i.  The trade off is that it uses up all of your cases PCI card slots, so if your graphics card is your only PCIe device, it'll work great. 

It being a blower card, I doubt it would effect it much. 

That tends to hinder the poor design and limitations of open air coolers. 

Id get some quality case fans and let it be. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

It being a blower card, I doubt it would effect it much. 

That tends to hinder the poor design and limitations of open air coolers. 

Id get some quality case fans and let it be. 

Yeah I was looking into it and saw that people said the FE cards won't be affected as much so just using the vertical mount in the case would be fine?

1 hour ago, Doovid said:

Yeah I was looking into it and saw that people said the FE cards won't be affected as much so just using the vertical mount in the case would be fine?

I’d do it. Don’t see why it would be an issue. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

I’d do it. Don’t see why it would be an issue. 

Alright and sorry for the questions but what would be a reputable and reliable PCI e extension for it?

1 hour ago, Doovid said:

Alright and sorry for the questions but what would be a reputable and reliable PCI e extension for it?

Search Amazon for GPU riser cable.

Get one of these, either 180 degree or 90 degree, you probably need the 90 degree but I'm not sure.

And if you're worried about heat issues you could get the Cooler Master vertical GPU mount like I just bought (and returned) and it mounts it a lot closer to the motherboard and leaves plenty of space between the GPU and glass. Long as you have 7 PCI slots on your case the Cooler Master mount will fit. You never need to buy a case specifically for this feature since there's mounts like this you can buy that probably work better.

Here's how I mounted mine (notice distance from glass, when you buy a case designed for it they try not to sacrifice their PCIe slots on the case so they move the mount closer to the glass so you can have either option):

20181227_204322.thumb.jpg.c4472f6b7ce04c64fe5bf596b099d898.jpg

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

44 minutes ago, tomswife said:

Search Amazon for GPU riser cable.

Get one of these, either 180 degree or 90 degree, you probably need the 90 degree but I'm not sure.

And if you're worried about heat issues you could get the Cooler Master vertical GPU mount like I just bought (and returned) and it mounts it a lot closer to the motherboard and leaves plenty of space between the GPU and glass. Long as you have 7 PCI slots on your case the Cooler Master mount will fit. You never need to buy a case specifically for this feature since there's mounts like this you can buy that probably work better.

Here's how I mounted mine (notice distance from glass, when you buy a case designed for it they try not to sacrifice their PCIe slots on the case so they move the mount closer to the glass so you can have either option):

20181227_204322.thumb.jpg.c4472f6b7ce04c64fe5bf596b099d898.jpg

I'm mostly getting the case just for the looks so the vertical mount is just a plus. And also thanks, I'll get the 40cm one! Also, what do you mean by 180 degree and 90 degree?

5 minutes ago, Doovid said:

I'm mostly getting the case just for the looks so the vertical mount is just a plus. And also thanks, I'll get the 40cm one! Also, what do you mean by 180 degree and 90 degree?

Judging by the pics on NZXTs website, you should be fine with the 90 degree option. That's what my mount used as well and it's probably pretty similar.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c804468fcb6f2051e8c400214ca1c80a.jpg

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

20 minutes ago, tomswife said:

Judging by the pics on NZXTs website, you should be fine with the 90 degree option. That's what my mount used as well and it's probably pretty similar.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c804468fcb6f2051e8c400214ca1c80a.jpg

Oh I bought the 180 degrees one, should I cancel the order and get the 90 degrees one or will they both work

1 minute ago, Doovid said:

Oh I bought the 180 degrees one, should I cancel the order and get the 90 degrees one or will they both work

It should be fine, you'll just see it a little more under the GPU since it wont be making a 90 degree angle, you'll just have to bend the wire a little, which isn't much of an issue. If you just ordered it, I would just get the 90 degree, but that's just me. You should be fine.

This is from the exact same case, they're using a 90 degree. You will just have to bend it to make it work since there isn't much room below the card. 

yN3tsUH.thumb.jpg.f72111727fac5d5b77dfb00818401381.jpg