Should I take the risk on this PSU on sale?

mxk
9 minutes ago, Ic3d said:

... above the recommended load for maximum efficiency ... 

lol

55 minutes ago, Nocte said:

The PC build you have in your signature.

Which one? It's for the upcoming one. I'm just gonna keep living on the edge and using the shitty seasonic PSU for my current PC.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 hour ago, Ic3d said:

i would say that although you may ba able to run it in that sitaution using 350w of a 400w psu is using 87.5% of the psu's spec which is above the recommended load for maximum efficiency,

You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
I've read countless PSU Reviews and looked at the Efficiency curves. And the "Peak at 50%" is a lie. And even if not, we're talking about like 1%, maybe 1,5% difference between the Peak Point (often at 30-40% Load, NOT 50!) between 20 and 80% Load. With modern 80plus Gold or Platinum units...

Just look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

I really am sick of that bullshit excuse that might have been OK 25 years ago or so. But today its just another Lie or Fairy Tale that just won't die because too many people parrot it and some "engineers" that learned PSU stuff before the invention of low ESR Capacitors, that say that 80% is a very high efficiency.

For us today, 80% is abysmal. Very high is something in the high 90s. Something like 94-95% tops...

these is also a chance that OP has a msi or evga FTW variant of the card and therefore needs another 6pin pci-e power connector which most 400w psus dont have (bit pointless as 1070ti cannot have a power limit above 120% (216w) and a 8 pin and pci-e power can give 225w)

I really hate it when people try to make rules for exceptions...

How high is the probability that he has an MSI Lightning or a different super OC Propaganda variant without much use for "normal people"? 5%? 1%?? 

And even if, shitty 600W PSU (for example EVGA W1 and 600B) also come with only two PCIe Connectors, so that's a pretty lame excuse as well...

You might have missed it but good quality 400-450W PSU (like be quiet Pure Power 10/11, Straight Power 11, bitfenix Formula and Whisper M) often come with TWO PCIe connectors!

I already mentioned a couple of good 400W PSU, just go to the manufacturers website and look up, what the connectors of the unit come with...

There are some that still come with one 8pin, yes.

But the majority of the decent/good 400-450W PSU already come with two PCIe connectors...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Ic3d said:

these is also a chance that OP has a msi or evga FTW variant of the card

there's MSI ftw? I thought that was evga

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

2 hours ago, Ic3d said:

50 watts for drives/ram

What?!

SSDs and RAM-a couple watts at most.

HDDs - 10w at most.

fans -a few watts each

lights - a few watts

peripherals -a few watts combined.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:59 PM, mxk. said:

there's MSI ftw? I thought that was evga

no msi gpu or evga ftw gpu (both need 2 connectors)

On 1/13/2019 at 12:33 AM, Rexper said:

What?!

SSDs and RAM-a couple watts at most.

HDDs - 10w at most.

fans -a few watts each

lights - a few watts

peripherals -a few watts combined.

lets say 1 hdd at 10 watts, 1 ssd, at 5 watts, 5 fans at 3 watts each, 2 light stips at 5 watts each and 10 watts for all the peripherals, that would be about 50 watts, and if OP wanter more hdds for games then he may want somthing more, the price difference between a b stock 400w and a b stock 600w is like $5-20 at most and is probably worth it in my opinion.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:49 PM, Stefan Payne said:

You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
I've read countless PSU Reviews and looked at the Efficiency curves. And the "Peak at 50%" is a lie. And even if not, we're talking about like 1%, maybe 1,5% difference between the Peak Point (often at 30-40% Load, NOT 50!) between 20 and 80% Load. With modern 80plus Gold or Platinum units...

Just look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

I really am sick of that bullshit excuse that might have been OK 25 years ago or so. But today its just another Lie or Fairy Tale that just won't die because too many people parrot it and some "engineers" that learned PSU stuff before the invention of low ESR Capacitors, that say that 80% is a very high efficiency.

For us today, 80% is abysmal. Very high is something in the high 90s. Something like 94-95% tops...

I really hate it when people try to make rules for exceptions...

How high is the probability that he has an MSI Lightning or a different super OC Propaganda variant without much use for "normal people"? 5%? 1%?? 

And even if, shitty 600W PSU (for example EVGA W1 and 600B) also come with only two PCIe Connectors, so that's a pretty lame excuse as well...

You might have missed it but good quality 400-450W PSU (like be quiet Pure Power 10/11, Straight Power 11, bitfenix Formula and Whisper M) often come with TWO PCIe connectors!

I already mentioned a couple of good 400W PSU, just go to the manufacturers website and look up, what the connectors of the unit come with...

There are some that still come with one 8pin, yes.

But the majority of the decent/good 400-450W PSU already come with two PCIe connectors...

you are unlikley to find any platinum rated 400w power supplies anywhere (lowest i can see is 550w), im not saying the cards with 2 power connectors are common, but they do exist and im just trying to cover bases for the OP. as far as efficiency goes, loading a power supply to 87% is still 1.5% less efficient than peak efficiency in your answer hence in a 550w power supply (the lowest 80+ plat i can find) you are wasting 8.25w which over 117 hours would be 1kw of electricity usage, lets say OP uses his pc for about 500 hours a year for 100% load gaming (about 1.4 hours a day). you are loosing 4.27kw per year from efficiency which is 72p per year in my house, add that up over 5 or so years OP may want to use it for, you loose £3.60. it isnt a lot however this is still money lost in your best case scenario and chances are that with a 550w power supply, Op would have to replace in the next 5-10 years. this is because, as we reach a smallest possible size for mosfets (theoretically 5nm from IBM), the only way to make things more powerful while still being cost effective for companies to make, will be to increase die size and transistor count leading to more power consumption. therefore i would say that OP should go with a B stock 600-700w psu that will only need to be gold or silver rated in order for OP to hit max efficiency and have several years more gaming.

Have a nice day:)

PC:    CPU: Core i7 4790k   I   GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor   I   COOLING: Custom water loop (cpu and gpu)  I  RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz   I   SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500Gb   I   HDD: WD blue 1TB, Hitatchi 2TB, Generic 1TB   I   PSU: EVGA 500w