Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why the Latest Techquickie on Headphone jacks is crap

MadmanRB
 Share

 

 

Okay so I know i may get into trouble for this considering this is a forum dedicated to Linus but I got to call bullcrap where I see it.

 

This video is not a good one and Linus really just sounds like he is trying to sell us on buying wireless headsets or buying a dongle to solve a problem that should not exist in the first place.

In fact.... Linus sounds like an idiot here, like he had got paid by apple to sell their stupid overpriced ear buds that are not only uncomfortable but are utter crap compared a real headset wireless or otherwise.

 

Simple fact is there is no reason why a phone cannot have a standard headphone jack other then to have it paper thin and charge extra cash for a stupid dongle.

 

To me while it is old fashioned the headphone jack is a tried and true technology, and sure its cool to have USB type c headsets but not every computer or computer case has USB C and or adapters for that standard.

And its not like the sound isnt normally analog anyway, even full digital headsets have some analog in them.

I fail to understand why I personally have to buy another headset or a stupid dongle to solve what is in the end a artificial problem caused by greedy companies like apple, even with the phrase technology marches on there is a reason why the headphone jack remains popular on even expensive high end hardware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

crap

Linus and crew have gone down hill tremendously in the past years. Sad to see, but he can only do so many videos, can only review and recap so many times. So he has got to do filler video's and space out his better video's so he can maximize the money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the video myself, really disappointing if it just seems like an ad for some wireless earphones. 

And I agree there isn't anything innovative about taking away the standardized 3.5mm jack and making you use a crappy dongle that you will have to carry around and could lose or forget it when you might actually need to use a headphone jack. Or Bluetooth which often sounds worse unless you spend twice as much on a pair than similar headphones with a 3.5mm jack. The "get with the times and just buy more headphones lol" is a terrible excuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I haven't seen the video

Yeah I havent watched any of LTT's video's in a long long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ever been to a live event or concert where they used Shure wireless mics? Well, wireless ain't that bad. Well, okay. The wireless available to consumers is bad. But the stuff you pay a fuck ton for (a simple SLX Beta87A system from Shure is about $720) is amazeballs. Even then, it's only wireless from the transmitter to the receiver. The receiver is then patched in via XLR. I have to agree with you OP. This is a whole problem caused by trying to be revolutionary. In fact, I'd argue there's more points of failure and more places for audio quality to degrade. In my experience (almost a decade of live events) the more connections you have, the more problems you have. You can have noise from dirty power or bad grounding. You can lose power from long unbalanced cables. You can have solder joins and wires brake or at least deteriorate and cause noise issues. All in all, just stick to what works, ya know? Don't get me wrong, I love Linus, he's a cutie. But he really did drop the ball here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Ever been to a live event or concert where they used Shure wireless mics?

I would have no idea if they were using that or not. Most of the concerts I went to were before any one you guys' time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

i may get into trouble for this considering this is a forum dedicated to Linus 

LOL i think the people here are the most critical of him 

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Meh. It has to change eventually. May as well be now.

Again what is so wrong with the headphone jack?

Its a good connector, I mean for frick sake we still use VGA on some setups!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Again what is so wrong with the headphone jack?

Its a good connector, I mean for frick sake we still use VGA on some setups!

I don't. Frankly, I think hdmi needs to die as well. But to counter, vga wasn't invented over 100 years ago. Guess we still have 60+ years left on that, then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The main contention the video makes is that the headphone jack is a water entry point and uses up valuable space inside a cramped phone chassis.  There are still companies standing behind the headphone jack like LG with the V30's quad dac and stuff. It is getting to be like vinyl music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rune said:

I don't. Frankly, I think hdmi needs to die as well. But to counter, vga wasn't invented over 100 years ago.

Still the headphone jack is universal to most devices still.

Except for shitty overpriced phones with a fruit on them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MadmanRB said:

Still the headphone jack is universal to most devices still.

Except for shitty overpriced phones with a fruit on them

And the razer phone. And sony's phones. And htc phones. And most other high end phones coming out worldwide now. Rumors are pointing towards some samsungs ditching it too. You'll get over it eventually. I believe in you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Rune said:

And the razer phone. And sony's phones. And htc phones. And most other high end phones coming out worldwide now. Rumors are pointing towards some samsungs ditching it too. You'll get over it eventually. I believe in you.

No, fuck em, this is just money grubbing pure and simple.

I will go back to a bloody flip phone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe my biggest problem with this video is the thumbnail...he's clearly holding a 1/4 stereo jack cable...not the 3.5mm headphone connector that is supposed to be the point

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an LG terra flip phone, i don't recommend it. It does have a headphone jack but no media player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

maybe my biggest problem with this video is the thumbnail...he's clearly holding a 1/4 stereo jack cable...not the 3.5mm headphone connector that is supposed to be the point

According to the thumbnail, he's holding a 2 ft monstrosity. It's photoshopped just like every other thumbnail, why all the butthurt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys you got it all wrong, YouTube comments are where you're supposed to whine. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, JammyCreedog said:

It's photoshopped just like every other thumbnail,

OMG No way!!?!?!?!

 

Quote

why all the butthurt?

did you learn a new word that you just wanted to use? if you think that sarcasm is "butthurt" then you're going to have a rough time on the internet.

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JammyCreedog said:

I use an LG terra flip phone, i don't recommend it. It does have a headphone jack but no media player.

what? that's the weirdest contradiction ever ?

 

OT: the death of the headphone jack makes room for bigger batteries in thinner phones. imo, it isn;t a bad thing. i have been using BT headphones for years now and they havn't let me down since.

if anything, it's just a pain in the ass to not have BT in my car and i need a 3,5mm/USB-C adapter for the AUX cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

what? that's the weirdest contradiction ever ?

 

OT: the death of the headphone jack makes room for bigger batteries in thinner phones. imo, it isn;t a bad thing. i have been using BT headphones for years now and they havn't let me down since.

if anything, it's just a pain in the ass to not have BT in my car and i need a 3,5mm/USB-C adapter for the AUX cable.

But again why do phones need to be so thin for?

I am not saying bring back the old Motorola bricks but I say that my Samsung Galaxy J3 is fairly thin for what its worth (yes i have a cheap phone deal with it, came with my MetroPCS)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Rune said:

And the razer phone. And sony's phones. And htc phones. And most other high end phones coming out worldwide now. Rumors are pointing towards some samsungs ditching it too. You'll get over it eventually. I believe in you.

And Razer would rather you  buy their expensive headphones, same with Sony or HTC. It's nothing but a stupid trend that Apple made it cool and trendy to take away a basic feature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

And Razer would rather you  buy their expensive headphones, same with Sony or HTC. It's nothing but a stupid trend that Apple made it cool and trendy to take away a basic feature.

You can buy cheap-ass bluetooth headphones for ten dollars. Should sound about the same as the jacks on the flipphones you guys will be using in three or four years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Rune said:

You can buy cheap-ass bluetooth headphones for ten dollars. Should sound about the same as the jacks on the flipphones you guys will be using in three or four years.

It's more about not having to buy headphones in the first place when i'd rather use all the headphones and speakers i have now with a headphone jack. 

And you joke but switching to a basic feature phone is getting pretty temping with all the dumb things most phone manufacturers have been doing besides charging $1,000 or more for a flagship. And really no average person asked for things such as the screen to cover 100% of the front, making phones a fragile glass sandwich that you'll just have to cover up with cases and protectors, putting an intrusive notch in the screen, or for some reason that anyone wants a bendable phone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Okay so I know i may get into trouble for this considering this is a forum dedicated to Linus but I got to call bullcrap where I see it.

Calling out LTT's bullshit is a regular occurance here.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

 

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

 

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

 

Everybody turns to dust.

 

Everybody turns to dust.

 

The blood is on your hands.

 

The blood is on your hands!

 

Pyo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×