Win10, how to set critical battery below 5%

idiocracy

When my machine hit's 5%, i'll still have around 45min of usable time left. But at 5% it's forced into hibernate(because i've set that over shutting down or sleep which uses more power). There is no reason for the machine to not be usable until it hits 2% which would equal something like 10min battery which is enough. But it seems like MS has a hard limit at 5% which makes sense for old computers, but for newer machines which get over an hour per 10%, it does not make sense.

Edit:

Running a Acer SP513-52NP w. 54 Wh battery.

i5-8250u at -90mv, igpu at -95mv.

Unavngivet.png

Nope....Just nope.

Battery voltage decrease is not linear.

At 5% the voltage drop is near the lower limit of lithium cells, and drawing more current under load will make the battery drop below that minimum voltage which causes permanent damage to lithium batteries.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what kind of system do you have that has 45 mins left at 5%....?

i have an 11" chromebook and that at 5% has like 15 mins left... 

She/Her

I have never seen a system have 45 minutes at 5%. Unless you have a prototype system for some incredibly power efficient computer, it will not last that long. And as was said before, voltage doesn’t decrease linearly.

42 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Battery voltage decrease is not linear.

At 5% the voltage drop is near the lower limit of lithium cells, and drawing more current under load will make the battery drop below that minimum voltage which causes permanent damage to lithium batteries.

Not to mention, that low voltages will cause the system to behave improperly. This is like down-volting all your components randomly in the BIOS/UEFI without any care tests. Assuming it even boot to get that random BSOD, you risk having data loss/corruption.

1 hour ago, idiocracy said:

When my machine hit's 5%, i'll still have around 45min of usable time left. But at 5% it's forced into hibernate(because i've set that over shutting down or sleep which uses more power). There is no reason for the machine to not be usable until it hits 2% which would equal something like 10min battery which is enough. But it seems like MS has a hard limit at 5% which makes sense for old computers, but for newer machines which get over an hour per 10%, it does not make sense.

But to answer your question, it is not a click away sadly. You'll need to edit the power plan by hand, via command line.

Here is a guide:

https://www.howtogeek.com/58109/how-to-lower-the-critical-battery-level-to-1-in-windows-7/

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Not to mention, that low voltages will cause the system to behave impro ...

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

Battery voltage decrease is not linear. ...

Ok, so the reasoning for 5% is actually thought through. Thanks for the insight.

Nope....Just nope.