Noob OC mistake; needed higher LLC!

So I had previously posted about how I thought I just got unlucky with a high voltage requirement CPU.  I finally got stable on 1.4V at 5.0GHz with good temps.  Interestingly I was noticing if there was any hiccup (though they rarely happened) it was always right when I opened anything (esp HW monitor, but also CB, Geforce experience as well).  If I was watching the voltages, I would get a spike right when opening or right after starting CB, but then once it was going it was running at a much lower voltage (1.22).  Aida64 would run but it would also have a more noticible hiccup on starting.  It made me think it just wasn't compensating for that initial workload.  I thought having LLC on auto would be fine and it would adjust it accordingly.

Well I looked into it more and found many people have had this exact problem fixed by upping the LLC rather than leaving it on auto.  I set it to Turbo (Aorus Master), and it is night and day different.

Got a stable OC with no sign of any pauses while running multiple back-to-back CB tests, with other programs open, and AIDA64 fires up with no sign of stuttering at the get go.

Vcore now down to 1.31 getting me 5.0GHz with nice temps.  Out of curiosity pushed it to 5.2 and was able to do so at 1.38 V.  CB still ran fine but temps started to get close to 90 (with some awesome scores!).  AIDA 64 still ran but after about 2 minutes I was nearing 100.  I backed it off to 5.0 GHz at 1.31 as 8 cores at a consistent 5.0 is more than enough for me and I like the low temps / fan noise (70s).

I don't actually understand how the non-optimized OC I had before was running so cool.  Maybe because it wasn't utilizing the 1.4V most of the time, and it just needed it for the initial load of tasks?  Anyways, very happy this is fixed and it seems I got a pretty good CPU.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

50 minutes ago, Zberg said:

So I had previously posted about how I thought I just got unlucky with a high voltage requirement CPU.  I finally got stable on 1.4V at 5.0GHz with good temps.  Interestingly I was noticing if there was any hiccup (though they rarely happened) it was always right when I opened anything (esp HW monitor, but also CB, Geforce experience as well).  If I was watching the voltages, I would get a spike right when opening or right after starting CB, but then once it was going it was running at a much lower voltage (1.22).  Aida64 would run but it would also have a more noticible hiccup on starting.  It made me think it just wasn't compensating for that initial workload.  I thought having LLC on auto would be fine and it would adjust it accordingly.

Well I looked into it more and found many people have had this exact problem fixed by upping the LLC rather than leaving it on auto.  I set it to Turbo (Aorus Master), and it is night and day different.

Got a stable OC with no sign of any pauses while running multiple back-to-back CB tests, with other programs open, and AIDA64 fires up with no sign of stuttering at the get go.

Vcore now down to 1.31 getting me 5.0GHz with nice temps.  Out of curiosity pushed it to 5.2 and was able to do so at 1.38 V.  CB still ran fine but temps started to get close to 90 (with some awesome scores!).  AIDA 64 still ran but after about 2 minutes I was nearing 100.  I backed it off to 5.0 GHz at 1.31 as 8 cores at a consistent 5.0 is more than enough for me and I like the low temps / fan noise (70s).

I don't actually understand how the non-optimized OC I had before was running so cool.  Maybe because it wasn't utilizing the 1.4V most of the time, and it just needed it for the initial load of tasks?  Anyways, very happy this is fixed and it seems I got a pretty good CPU.

5Ghz is not even an OC on this CPU, it's 5Ghz on turbo mode without messing with anything else.......

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

11 minutes ago, Constantin said:

5Ghz is not even an OC on this CPU, it's 5Ghz on turbo mode without messing with anything else.......

Technically turbo does take it to 5GHz, and each core will hit it occasionally, but once there is any kind of load only 1-2 cores stay there, the others drop down between the base and the turbo clock (into the mid/high 4's).  The benchmarks/performance reflect this in out of the box.  Now it does any/every task with every core at it's turbo max 5GHz without variance which it won't do out of the box.  This is also reflected with a very nice increase in performance (both benchmarks as well as a not insignificant FPS increase in games).  I would argue it's at least OC adjacent :)

Maybe I'll bump it up to 5.1, it was still pretty cool and quiet there, but i'll need some beefier cooling for 5.2-5.3! :)

1 minute ago, Zberg said:

Technically turbo does take it to 5GHz, and each core will hit it occasionally, but once there is any kind of load only 1-2 cores stay there, the others drop down between the base and the turbo clock (into the mid/high 4's).  The benchmarks/performance reflect this in out of the box.  Now it does any/every task with every core at it's turbo max 5GHz without variance which it won't do out of the box.  This is also reflected with a very nice increase in performance (both benchmarks as well as a not insignificant FPS increase in games).  I would argue it's at least OC adjacent :)

Maybe I'll bump it up to 5.1, it was still pretty cool and quiet there, but i'll need some beefier cooling for 5.2-5.3! :)

Decent motherboards have next to turbo boost setting (MSI enchant turbo ect..) and boost all cores to the turbo boost speed....everything else all on auto...

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

Decent motherboards have next to turbo boost setting (MSI enchant turbo ect..) and boost all cores to the turbo boost speed....everything else all on auto...

Well i fiddled some more, and it seems I have a stable, more legit OC :)

Updated Bios (dont know it that mattered) tinkered a little, and decreased the voltage to 1.37 and that seems to be the sweet spot for 5.2 GHz for me without getting any throttling from temps.  Ran a good hour on Aida64 without a hiccup.  Hit 95 at the most but seems like it is good to go!

4 hours ago, Zberg said:

Well i fiddled some more, and it seems I have a stable, more legit OC :)

Updated Bios (dont know it that mattered) tinkered a little, and decreased the voltage to 1.37 and that seems to be the sweet spot for 5.2 GHz for me without getting any throttling from temps.  Ran a good hour on Aida64 without a hiccup.  Hit 95 at the most but seems like it is good to go!

My reply was on 5Ghz as you mentioned, 5.2Ghz is a totally different story.