Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Neurotherapy/Biofeedback, Depression, a non-profit, and a video idea

For the past few years I've been struggling with depression. Part of my treatment has been neurotherapy. It's really fascinating technology. The basics are that your therapist places electrodes (I think that's what they're called) on your head that are connected to a computer. Then the software uses the location of the electrodes, plus visual and audio elements from a tv, to help your brain build healthier pathways. You can watch movies, or even play some games, while the software does it's work. Oh, and I haven't experienced it, but they're working on a VR version as well.

For me, it's been very effective. I'm on medication as well, but when I've missed a neurotherapy session for longer than normal, I definitely feel it. There's been times where I'm at a 5, on a 1 to 10 scale, at the start of a session, and by the end I'm up to a 7 or 8. (Haven't reached 10 in years... Depression sucks.)

The place I go for both neurotherapy and Counseling is CAFA. (Christian As Family Advocates) http://www.cafaweb.com/ Their offices are in Eugene, Oregon.

They provide a lot of family and mental health services. Don't let the "Christian" part scare you. Both my therapist, and I, are committed Christians. Yet he still only brings as much of our faith into our sessions as I want. If you are not a Christian, they are not going to push any religion on you. If you live near Eugene, and are struggling with depression, I highly recommend calling and getting on a waiting list, or just seeing if you can see someone quickly for neurotherapy. (Yes, they are that busy.)

The system CAFA uses is Cygnet. http://www.beemedic.com/cygnet.html

Ok, so here's the video idea.

I think this does fit LTT's interest in the intersection between daily computer stuff and the deeper science stuff. Like the recent video on the gravitational waves observatory. Plus, there are games. Seriously. "Play games to fix your brain!" sounds like a good LTT video title. :)

If I were to plan the video, I'd do a section on the theory and science behind the technology. Then a section on how it's used in the real world. Ideally at CAFA, rather than a place with the money to have all the bells and whistles. That would give people a good idea on what it really looks like in the real world.

Finally, and this is what made me think the idea through... It would be a fun to see LTT work with their sponsors to get CAFA some hardware upgrades. There are times I can hear the laptop's fan roaring at max, even over the sound of the tv... So some more powerful pc's might help. Also, they are using the TV speakers. A sound bar, or something, would be pretty cool. Finally, I don't think CAFA is going be able to get on the new VR features any time soon. So outfitting them with some VR sets compatible with their software and systems would be amazing. Of course, I really have no idea what all they actually need. So you'd want to double check what you get them will be useful.

Anyway, there's my idea. :D

Oh, and if anyone in the Eugene, OR area wants to talk or hang out, email me at me@davidreagan.net. Especially if you're like me and depression and other issues make it hard to get out and find friends.... *coughs*

so in general i like the idea of games and use in therapy. I have my doubts that LTT would make a video involving religion even if they aren't directly advocating for the religion itself. I'd love them working with researchers using games to deal with mental problems though

Nice, well done on progress. Kia kaha.

Of course, I went and posted an idea during CES. Not the best timing there... Heh.

@Jtalk4456 From what I've seen, Linus seems pretty neutral toward religion. So I could see him doing a video about CAFA, or any religious org, as long as it was about something relevant to his audience. I've certainly seen no indication he's hostile to religion.

On 1/13/2019 at 2:29 PM, jerrac said:

Of course, I went and posted an idea during CES. Not the best timing there... Heh.

@Jtalk4456 From what I've seen, Linus seems pretty neutral toward religion. So I could see him doing a video about CAFA, or any religious org, as long as it was about something relevant to his audience. I've certainly seen no indication he's hostile to religion.

I never implied he was hostile to religion, quite the opposite. He stays out of religion and politics as much as possible so that no one can complain about bias. He is VERY neutral about religion, so I find it hard to believe he would do a video about or containing a political/religious entity. Besides the fact that including them in the video would not enhance the quality of the video. It would make far more sense for him to talk with several neuroscience researchers and other scientists. Just simply that it makes more sense to interview those MAKING the tech than those USING the tech.