Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ASRock announces new STX motherboard, so tiny!

Fasauceome

Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-am4-motherboard-ryzen-amd,38391.html

non amp link if it's having a problem loading on desktop for you 

A new STX form factor board has been announced

https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-am4-motherboard-ryzen-amd,38391.html

And it is so damn cute

ASRock's suite at CES 2019 held a rare gem for small form factor enthusiasts: A new DeskMini A300 Series system that comes with an A300-STX AM4 motherboard that the company claims is the world's smallest. Surprisingly, the diminutive barebones system will retail for only $119 when it comes to market next month. 

This is exactly what I was waiting for. An even smaller form factor without an exorbitant price tag attached to it. Intel STX has been around forever and is very underwhelming.

The A300 model comes with a custom A300-STX motherboard that adheres to the micro-STX form factor, meaning the board only measures 5-inches x 5-inches. Shrinking down the board to such a small size required eliminating a PCIe slot, and the board also doesn't support MXM graphics cards. That means you'll need an AMD processor that comes with integrated graphics, which limits your options to AMD's Raven Ridge and Bristol Ridge processors, albeit with a 65W TDP limitation.

Not a problem. This is awesome for a tiny HTPC, or a mini exports PC. New Raven ridge stuff is likely to hit today at the AMD keynote, and the current stiff isn't so bad either. It's just the exact way I wanted to put lots of power in a small form factor.

Considering its small size, the board comes packed with quite a bit of connectivity. The board includes two M.2 sockets that support SSDs with the 2280 form factor, with one socket on the top of the motherboard and the other tucked away on the bottom. It also has two SATA 6Gb/s ports for traditional storage devices.

This motherboard can handle an immense amount of storage, this is pretty interesting.

My one complaint? Where's the flippin thunderbolt!?!? Not like those PCIe lanes are going anywhere. 4x thrown towards an SSD, 4x more from the chipset for an SSD, and that would leave 4x more on Raven ridge for thunderbolt

While writing this I remembered that thunderbolt is an Intel standard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

They should add internal thunderbolt and include a PCI-e riser through thunderbolt.

edit: aaaaaaaand i just saw its AMD so no thunderbolt. oof.

Edited by LukeTheCoder05

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

much want, but DDR4 is too expensive

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

We've ascended

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

much want, but DDR4 is too expensive

If the DDR4 is the only price limiting factor, just grab Mini ITX instead, since this form factor is even more expensive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

They should add internal thunderbolt and include a PCI-e riser through thunderbolt.

edit: aaaaaaaand i just saw its AMD so no thunderbolt. oof.

Alternatively, M.2 to PCIe x4 to PCIe x16, like I've done with their H110 STX board.

I'm buying this as soon as it comes out.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, fasauceome said:

If the DDR4 is the only price limiting factor, just grab Mini ITX instead, since this form factor is even more expensive.

this is smaller than ITX and thats why i want one, but DDR4 is too expensive for me to bother with the platform

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Expensive because this also comes with a case and power brick. ITX is, as stated earlier, much bigger.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this is smaller than ITX and thats why i want one, but DDR4 is too expensive for me to bother with the platform

DDR4 is quite expensive in any country that isn't the USA or Canada, although I doubt 4GB (which should be enough for this considering you can't really game on it) is that expensive.

It's all up to your needs though. Anything over 8GB and you're better off getting mITX anyway. 

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

DDR4 is quite expensive in any country that isn't the USA or Canada, although I doubt 4GB (which should be enough for this considering you can't really game on it) is that expensive.

It's all up to your needs though. Anything over 8GB and you're better off getting mITX anyway. 

id throw some mid teir chip and a 1050TI at it, so i would really want 8GB

Builds:

Spoiler

Cheers in STX!

However, y'all know they "announced" is a couple of years ago (2015) too, but it never came due to a lack of demand.\

I really want this one to be released.

SFF ❤️

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

id throw some mid teir chip and a 1050TI at it, so i would really want 8GB

Too bad a 1050 ti wouldn't work with this board, no PCIe real estate.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Just now, Imbellis said:

Cheers in STX!

However, y'all know they "announced" is a couple of years ago (2015) too, but it never came due to a lack of demand.\

SFF ❤️

I remember reading teasers but never seeing a real announcement.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

A300 does not have overclocking support but consider its size I would say it's an acceptable trade-off.

Also, why they decide not to include an MXM slot on those AM4 boards? Having a good APU lineup does not mean you should forgo dedicate graphic cards entirely.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Quite nice. Can make a neat little APU system with a very small case.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB |Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL | Mouse: Zowie S1-C |Keyboard: Corsair K63 MX red | OS: Windows 11

2 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

A300 does not have overclocking support but consider its size I would say it's an acceptable trade-off.

Also, why they decide not to include an MXM slot on those AM4 boards? Having a good APU lineup does not mean you should forgo dedicate graphic cards entirely.

I imagine if this board picks up they'll do a B series with MXM, but MXM itself needs to pick up too.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Too bad a 1050 ti wouldn't work with this board, no PCIe real estate.

It has m.2, just adapter off that. 4x is enough for just a 1050ti

Builds:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Ya know, for $119, that's not much more than a decent Mini-ITX AM4 board.

it's like half the size though which is nice (and I believe their kit comes with the power prick)

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

While writing this I remembered that thunderbolt is an Intel standard.

It is an open standard 

12 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It is an open standard 

I can't find a single AMD board that supports it but I'd love to have one.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

thats an amazing price if it holds... sadly no 7nm APU's anytime soon, those would be awesome

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-am4-motherboard-ryzen-amd,38391.html

non amp link if it's having a problem loading on desktop for you 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 hours ago, Imbellis said:

Cheers in STX!

SFF ❤️

I own a H110M-STX. It definitely did arrive.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats