Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3rd Monitor Suddenly Not Detected

MarbleHornets

So I have been recently trying troubleshoot my sister's workstation to no avail. It's a laptop that is connected to two addition monitors that has been working fine for months, but when she updated it to the latest version of windows, suddenly one of the external monitors is no longer getting any signal. It turns on fine and is still detected in windows as a third monitor, but is greyed out and none of the display setting are able to be changed. If it's unplugged, it gets removed and plugging it back in brings it back, so it's not a ghost that's stuck on windows. Device manager also shows that everything is working properly

I have tried:

• Updating all drivers for display
  • Uninstalling drivers and fresh reinstall
  • Using a different DVI cable that I know works 
  • Using a different display port that works
  • Running windows troubleshooter
  • Changing order in display settings
  • Setting display options from single screen back to extended, in both display options and with laptop short cut (windows + p)

So far nothing has changed and the monitor still gets no signal. Weirdly enough, when using Intel's display settings, the third monitor is not detected and it only shows the two working ones, even though the computer can see it and says everything is "working properly". Currently I am at work and unable to give any quick updates to this, but I'm more of looking into what I can try when I get home and will update as I progress with this. 

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

Is there still a system restore point to go back before windows updated?

If you can I would restore back to that point. Make sure the monitors are working again. Update all of the display drivers to the latest version then try windows update again.

I did verify all the monitors do work connected to other devices on the same inputs, and I can try a system restore, was kindof hoping not to do so just so the next time it updates, it won't break again, but thanks.

45 minutes ago, MarbleHornets said:

I did verify all the monitors do work connected to other devices on the same inputs, and I can try a system restore, was kindof hoping not to do so just so the next time it updates, it won't break again, but thanks.

There is a small chance that if you updated your display drivers before running the windows updates again that might solve it.

18 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

There is a small chance that if you updated your display drivers before running the windows updates again that might solve it.

I'll give that a try when I can. Thanks