I5 8600k motherboard requirements.

Hi everyone. Please may I ask someone if they know about the i5 8600k cpu.   I am waiting for it today but I have just read someone wringing that this cpu needs a Z motherboard.... I have never came across a cpu that is of the same socket but doesn't work on the motherboard. I have a Asus B motherboard. 

you need a 300 series motherboard because of a different pin layout on the 1151 socket. what asus do you have?

btw, you don't NEED a z series, you can't just overclock without it...

I have a 1151 motherboard Asus. It's a b series gaming board. 

21 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you need a 300 series motherboard because of a different pin layout on the 1151 socket. what asus do you have?

btw, you don't NEED a z series, you can't just overclock without it...

Its a b250 asus 1151

1 minute ago, Macaveli said:

Its a b250 asus 1151

yeah... that's not going to work

you'll need to get a new motherboard

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... that's not going to work

you'll need to get a new motherboard

Oh wow. Could I have some more advise please. I go onto the check to see if the cpu will work on the motherboard... it shows up on the compatible list... on a different site..  I am not overclocking I just want it to turn on.. lol  if it don't work I will have to send it back.... not good news for me DPD driver should be here soon... I paid a lot for it just for it to fit in the MB. So these same socket chips won't work on all the same socket boards?

3 minutes ago, Macaveli said:

Oh wow. Could I have some more advise please. I go onto the check to see if the cpu will work on the motherboard... it shows up on the compatible list... on a different site..  I am not overclocking I just want it to turn on.. lol  if it don't work I will have to send it back.... not good news for me DPD driver should be here soon... I paid a lot for it just for it to fit in the MB. So these same socket chips won't work on all the same socket boards?

it can't... you would have to heavily modify the motherboard to even have a chance to. you'll need a 300 series motherboard

12 minutes ago, Macaveli said:

PC part picker is usually pretty reliable pretty reliable for compatibility checking. It does warn about the incompatibility between your mobo and the 8600k. 

If you're willing & able to share your current system specs, what you're trying to accomplish by upgrading, and your budget, I'd be happy to recommend an upgrade path for you :)

14 minutes ago, Macaveli said:

No, since Intel decided to change the Pin-out on their processors, as well as theirr firmware. 

I been buying parts for last ten years upgrading slowly. I have all new parts. B250 Asus i5 8600k 8gb 2400 ram corsair. I also have the oculus rift which I really wanted to play Hellblade Senuas sacrifice.... I have everything just wanted to ask if the cpu will work or not.. I had before this Asus 1155 motherboard i5 3470 and 16gb 1600mhz ram.

2 minutes ago, Alexokratis said:

No, since Intel decided to change the Pin-out on their processors, as well as theirr firmware. 

https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=2514&moboList=Core i5-8600K 6-Core 3.6GHz  is this site where the board is listed not correct? It says on 2 different sites they are compatible? Ok I'll just wait and see the processor.. if it's different from what I have already then I'll send it back. So confused. 1151 socket has 2 different types of pins one on the z board and one on the other motherboards. Just makes things more of a headache. 

11 minutes ago, Macaveli said:

https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=2514&moboList=Core i5-8600K 6-Core 3.6GHz  is this site where the board is listed not correct? It says on 2 different sites they are compatible? Ok I'll just wait and see the processor.. if it's different from what I have already then I'll send it back. So confused. 1151 socket has 2 different types of pins one on the z board and one on the other motherboards. Just makes things more of a headache. 

That site's list is a) much smaller than the real amount of compatible mobos and b) lists a lot of mobos that aren't, in fact, compatible. And yeah, Intel CPUs have kinda been all over the place lately... seems like every CPU generation has not been backward compatible for a while :(

In any case, I would recommend that you pick up this motherboard (based on the chipset of your previous motherboards. if you want something with more bells and whistles, just add the 8600k to your "build" on that site and then browse the motherboards [it will only show you compatible parts by default])