Best HDD for storage/speed?

Xplod2064

Hello all, I am looking for a "Fast but decent capacity HDD" meaning 3TB or more and 7200RPM

Literally all that is going to be on there is all my games from steam and others.

I had a WD Black 1TB but that is too small now.

Any ideas?

Other thing is being able to get whatever drive it is from New Zealand would be sweet!

WD Blacks are the fastest regular HDDs still. They're pricey at higher capacities though. An alternative would be the Seagate Barracuda (NOT the Barracuda Compute). They're regular consumer drives, but they're speedy enough. Another solution would be buying a SSHD, like the Seagate Firecuda.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

WD Blacks are the fastest regular HDDs still. They're pricey at higher capacities though. An alternative would be the Seagate Barracuda (NOT the Barracuda Compute). They're regular consumer drives, but they're speedy enough. Another solution would be buying a SSHD, like the Seagate Firecuda.

I thought that the firecuda's were only good as a boot drive because of the flash memory?

1 minute ago, Xplod2064 said:

I thought that the firecuda's were only good as a boot drive because of the flash memory?

They're fine for games too as anything can be cached in that space. Optane is no different in that sense.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

nah, they can cache for storage too. but it costs that much more I would just get a barracuda

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

nah, they can cache for storage too. but it costs that much more I would just get a barracuda

Just now, NelizMastr said:

They're fine for games too as anything can be cached in that space. Optane is no different in that sense.

So it is either a.. 4TB

-Barracuda $184 (5400RPM, 256MB Cache)

-Barracuda Pro $286 (7200RPM, 128MB Cache)

-WD Black $315 (7200RPM, 256MB Cache)

Those are basically the choices.

1 minute ago, Xplod2064 said:

So it is either a.. 4TB

Oh shoot there's no 7200rpm regular barracuda 4TB. Well there's always the Skyhawk :D 

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Oh shoot there's no 7200rpm regular barracuda 4TB. Well there's always the Skyhawk :D 

But that is surveillance does that make a difference?

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

there is a 3tb tho...

4 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

add this one to comparison, 

Seagate Backup Plus Portable External Hard Drive 4TB USB 3.0

its a 2.5" 5400rpm  Barracuda  inside

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Eww 5400rpm

Yeah Idk I don't wanna buy a cheap one then having it break down after a year.

15 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Eww 5400rpm

15 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

15 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

there is a 3tb tho...

So honestly what would be best from the selection I put

Unless there is another?

Just now, Xplod2064 said:

So honestly what would be best from the selection I put

Unless there is another?

ironwolf, red, gold

black should cost less, and this one is what I mean with barracuda

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j28H99/seagate-barracuda-3tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm008

40 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

Hello all, I am looking for a "Fast but decent capacity HDD" meaning 3TB or more and 7200RPM

All black everything. No alternatives here. New WD Black 4 & 6 TB come with 256 mb cache. I can find them in Greece where we don't really have the best prices due to taxes, WD black 4 TB at around 180 € and the 6TB one at around 250 €.

7 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

All black everything. No alternatives here. New WD Black 4 & 6 TB come with 256 mb cache. I can find them in Greece where we don't really have the best prices due to taxes, WD black 4 TB at around 180 € and the 6TB one at around 250 €.

Yeah I was gonna get a 2tb Black but the extra cache for having a 4tb seems tempting.

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes, so?

He probably needs something better optimized for gaming, streaming and mostly desktop day to day staff(where blacks come for). Although i have to say that WD reds are number 1 in terms of reliability and among desktop/nas drives.

1 minute ago, Settlerteo said:

WD reds are number 1 in terms of reliability and among desktop/nas drives.

Yeah, unless you're using the 3TB or 6TB versions. They have a poor reliability record.

So I don't understand black says it is for performance, but people are saying you can use Seagate Skyhawk or WD red,gold etc Don't those drives work differently to how a black does and will it be better or worse than a black for everyday gaming usage?

5 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

He probably needs something better optimized for gaming, streaming and mostly desktop day to day staff(where blacks come for). Although i have to say that WD reds are number 1 in terms of reliability and among desktop/nas drives.

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yeah, unless you're using the 3TB or 6TB versions. They have a poor reliability record.

So I don't understand black says it is for performance, but people are saying you can use Seagate Skyhawk or WD red,gold etc Don't those drives work differently to how a black does and will it be better or worse than a black for everyday gaming usage?

8 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

But aren't those for nas and stuff?

WD red is also a very good choice even if it is more optimized for Nas functionality. Golds are somewhere between Blacks and Reds so these are good choices too. Never tested one of them though. If i could give you a top five for desktop staff i d go like this:
1.WD Black
2.WD Red
3.WD Gold
4.Toshiba X300
5.Seagate Ironwolf Pro(Barracudas really have a bigger failure rate)

3 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

As i said before everyday staff Black is the best, but a good Nas will serve you well too.