Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommendations for a new case for my build

jadoff

Hey,

I have a few year old build (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vtpQbj) and I am looking to make some updates. Mainly, I am hoping to get a new case that has a bit of a smaller footprint. I know some components (probably most likely my CPU cooler) will have to also be updated to fit a smaller case. My GPU is also a bit old, and I know its length can be an issue to getting a smaller case, so that is something else that I would not be opposed to upgrading.

I would love suggestions for cases that anyone may know of that will still fit most of my components.

I found a few that I think may be good choices (although not actually sure how much better some of these would be). I would love to hear people's thoughts (both on any of these cases and others that I haven't thought of).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WT8Zxr/cooler-master-case-rc902xbkkn2

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YjXnTW/cooler-master-masterbox-mb600l-atx-mid-tower-case-mcb-b600l-ka5n-s00 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2mQRsY/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-es515ptg_bk 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HnDzK8/riotoro-cr480-atx-mid-tower-case-cr480

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/V7wqqs/thermaltake-core-g3-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-1g6-00t1wn-00

Thanks!

I am personally a fan of the BitFenix Prodigy, although you'd definitely need to downsize to an ITX/mATX board and go for a low profile GPU/cooler. A little pricey but has a very nice profile overall, and is one I have built with in the past - Was very easy to build in, too!

if you want small form factor get the nzxt h200 (non i)

its not that small but its a good size for cooling

20 minutes ago, Saksham said:

Don't GPU's in that case get kinda choked?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Don't GPU's in that case get kinda choked?

the shroud has holes. if you use a small psu, the bottom vent will let ait through the shroud for incredible cooling

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

the shroud has holes. if you use a small psu, the bottom vent will let ait through the shroud for incredible cooling

Looks like the OP has a normal size, if not kinda long PSU.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

The Riotoro looks nice to me

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

36 minutes ago, MajorTmar said:

I am personally a fan of the BitFenix Prodigy, although you'd definitely need to downsize to an ITX/mATX board and go for a low profile GPU/cooler. A little pricey but has a very nice profile overall, and is one I have built with in the past - Was very easy to build in, too!

I think that is a bit smaller than I am thinking. 

45 minutes ago, Saksham said:

@Saksham This case looks interesting. Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but what is "non i"? 

edit: nvm. figured out the non i. What are your thoughts on @mxk. comment about cooling with a longer PSU?

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

The Riotoro looks nice to me

Yeah. That one is definitely of interest, but wondering how much smaller it would actually be, and if the change would be worth the money (although with the size of my current case, anything is probably in the right direction.

11 minutes ago, jadoff said:

@Saksham This case looks interesting. Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but what is "non i"? 

edit: nvm. figured out the non i. What are your thoughts on @mxk. comment about cooling with a longer PSU?

Well, modular PSUs are longer and I doubt it'll change it much, but airflow is obviously key in ITX builds so having a PSU blocking GPU airflow would be bad.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

9 hours ago, jadoff said:

I found a few that I think may be good choices (although not actually sure how much better some of these would be). I would love to hear people's thoughts (both on any of these cases and others that I haven't thought of).

Well you already found both the Pro M TG and the Core G3 which would have been my recommendations, however the G3 footprint wont be significantly less than the 750D. I'm assuming you want to remain ATX motherboard size if possible. Frankly I dont blame you, I went from Full tower to mITX and the swap was a bit more expensive than I'd lile to admit

20180707_100729.thumb.jpg.a4cbe04ac2b07f2aedac619daf72e2d6.jpg

How set are you on the 5.25" bay? If you could ditch it, you could get something like the Fractal Design Meshify C or the upcoming Coolermaster Q500L (that one I'd have to wait for more compatibility info since it was literally just announced at CES) If you really want to keep it, the Pro M TG is your best bet for now and for the future in terms of hardware support. 

For comparison:

750D:

Dimensions (H x W x D)

22.05" x 9.25" x 21.50"

199cuin of desk space

Pro M TG

(W x H x D)
9.25 in x 18.9 in x 19.7 in

182cuin of desk space

Meshify C

Case dimensions (LxWxH)

409 x 217 x 453mm [Translates to 16.10 in x 8.54 in x 17.83 in]

137cuin of desk space. NOTE that even though this case is narrower, you can still fit up to a 172mm tall CPU cooler in here so your current cooler will fit no problem. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Well you already found both the Pro M TG and the Core G3 which would have been my recommendations, however the G3 footprint wont be significantly less than the 750D. I'm assuming you want to remain ATX motherboard size if possible. Frankly I dont blame you, I went from Full tower to mITX and the swap was a bit more expensive than I'd lile to admit

20180707_100729.thumb.jpg.a4cbe04ac2b07f2aedac619daf72e2d6.jpg

How set are you on the 5.25" bay? If you could ditch it, you could get something like the Fractal Design Meshify C or the upcoming Coolermaster Q500L (that one I'd have to wait for more compatibility info since it was literally just announced at CES) If you really want to keep it, the Pro M TG is your best bet for now and for the future in terms of hardware support. 

For comparison:

750D:

Dimensions (H x W x D)

22.05" x 9.25" x 21.50"

199cuin of desk space

Pro M TG

(W x H x D)
9.25 in x 18.9 in x 19.7 in

182cuin of desk space

Meshify C

Case dimensions (LxWxH)

409 x 217 x 453mm [Translates to 16.10 in x 8.54 in x 17.83 in]

137cuin of desk space. NOTE that even though this case is narrower, you can still fit up to a 172mm tall CPU cooler in here so your current cooler will fit no problem. 

Thanks so much for these suggestions! I would definitely like to keep my motherboard, transitioning to a smaller one would require too many components to be updated. 

I go back and forth on the 5.25" bay, so I think for now I would probably find one or two top choices that either has the bay or don't, that way I can have a good idea of what I want and just have to decide to keep or not to keep. I think I would probably end up getting an external DVD drive if I go without. So I guess it would probably come down to price and footprint shrink. 

21 hours ago, jadoff said:

Recommendations for a new case for my build

new case that has a bit of a smaller footprint.

And, you lost me there.

I hate small cases because they generally suck at thermals.

Much happier with ATX sized cases.

Better for my big hands too.

This won't be of use for your ATX board but for small footprint,

I love the look of the  Phanteks Evolv Shift X in grey.

Although I've heard its thermals suck because of a horizontal plate blocking the air-flow.