Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Personal NAS/Cloud Storage Solutions - suggestions please.

SansVarnic

OK I need a few suggestions for personal cloud solutions. I need solid, cost effective, solutions that can be setup for an friend of mine. I personally use the Western Digital EX4100 4 bay server I bought roughly 4 years ago and it has been a solid device for me. What I would like is some other suggestions that I can present to my friend that he can look over and decide on. The reason I ask is because though I have fair understanding, this is not my area of expertise. Building him a NAS is not an option (though I offered) he will want a manufactured solution.

All suggestions need to be a device he can purchase and have at his house with the possibility of a second unit for off-site backup - no online cloud service like GDrive, OneDrive or DropBox. Needs to be accessible either P2P/FTP and NAS, expandable, hot-swappable. 

He really likes Seagate products (and uses portable drives to store everything now /facepalm) but I cant find anything that seagate makes that would work, unless I am not navigating the site correctly...

Please only reply if you have constructive comments I dont have time today to sift through negative connotations and product versus opinion/arguments.

Thanks for any help with this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 20 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

snip

What's the budget?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Oneplus 7T (Mid 2021 to present), HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present)

Samaritan XTXH (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB (Mid 2021), Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

well, if he has a fair budget, he could get a Lacie NAS, they are pretty nice, but kinda slow for me as the one I have runs a atom.

(and as you might know, Lacie is seagate now)

QNAP's 4 bay+ offerings would work nicely.

Remote administration is easy too if he needs a bit of assistance.

They offer their own SSLs, but I use Let's Encrypt since it's free and it sets on the renewal CRON job for you.

It has pretty much all the services you need and more. Model doesn't particularly matter since the software is consistent across models so if he gets a 2nd one down the road, it does not have to be identical. Also if you bought a 4 bay, then he finds a few years later he needs more drives, migrating to a large one is stupid simple.

Edit: Setting up an off site QNAP to backup his existing QNAP is also really simple given they have a free DDNS service.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What's the budget?

At the moment there is no budget, just getting suggestions for him to decide on so he can have an idea of how much he should invest.

I spent roughly $450 USD on mine but he want good, better, best type of list to go off of.

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, if he has a fair budget, he could get a Lacie NAS, they are pretty nice, but kinda slow for me as the one I have runs a atom.

(and as you might know, Lacie is seagate now)

Lacie = Seagate, I did not know this. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, King Poet said:

QNAP's 4 bay+ offerings would work nicely.

Remote administration is easy too if he needs a bit of assistance.

They offer their own SSLs, but I use Let's Encrypt since it's free and it sets on the renewal CRON job for you.

It has pretty much all the services you need and more. Model doesn't particularly matter since the software is consistent across models so if he gets a 2nd one down the road, it does not have to be identical. Also if you bought a 4 bay, then he finds a few years later he needs more drives, migrating to a large one is stupid simple.

Edit: Setting up an off site QNAP to backup his existing QNAP is also really simple given they have a free DDNS service.

Thanks I will look into this. When I bought my EX4100 I didnt know anything about QNAP so I skipped over it, the WD was recommended to me at the time.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I spent roughly $450 USD on mine but he want good, better, best type of list to go off of.

Thanks I will look into this. When I bought my EX4100 I didnt know anything about QNAP so I skipped over it, the WD was recommended to me at the time.

Yeah, QNAP and Synology have NASes down to a science. Other manufacturers are getting there, but I find those to be the most consistent in the software experience. Lately Synology has had some consistent design-level hardware failings that keep me from recommending them.

4 minutes ago, King Poet said:

Yeah, QNAP and Synology have NASes down to a science. Other manufacturers are getting there, but I find those to be the most consistent in the software experience. Lately Synology has had some consistent design-level hardware failings that keep me from recommending them.

It has been suggested to me before to steer away from Synology. Im on QNAPs sit right now and so far I am intrigued. I may even look into this a replacement for my own ex4100 sometime down the road if it fails. lol.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

It has been suggested to me before to steer away from Synology. Im on QNAPs sit right now and so far I am intrigued. I may even look into this a replacement for my own ex4100 sometime down the road if it fails. lol.

Yeah, if you look at the storage log in my sig, they even have full blown Ryzen 7 models lol.

They have models for literally every price point. I was on the fence for a while about build vs. buy and I'm glad I went the buy route. One less thing to forget to upkeep.

6 hours ago, King Poet said:

Yeah, if you look at the storage log in my sig, they even have full blown Ryzen 7 models lol.

They have models for literally every price point. I was on the fence for a while about build vs. buy and I'm glad I went the buy route. One less thing to forget to upkeep.

All very helpful. I believe I have fond some strong contenders to offer. 

And I found a model that will work me... I think this has become my new favorite go to.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER