CPU decision. 9600k or 9700k...

I'm finally looking at upgrading my CPU, MOBO and RAM. The first step for me is decided which CPU I want but I can't seem to make my mind up between these two processors. I will mainly be playing games but will occasionally render videos (although this doesn't happen often). I want to future proof as much as I can, but at the same time the cost difference is currently about 60% more for the i7 over the i5 and I just cant think that the extra cores and cache will be worth that. 

I've searched through this forum, anandtech, reddit and a bunch of tech reviews but none seem to give any solid evidence or opinion as to which way to go (probably because the processors are so new). 

I've just read today about the new F series processors so might hold fire for a bit and see what comes of that, but I can't imagine they're going to be that much cheaper to be a deal change for me. 

What are other people's opinions? I guess anything is going to be an upgrade over my 2500k really...

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

2 extra cores for 60% more id go with the 9600k maybe down the line get the 9700k.

Userbenchmark says the 9600k vs 9700k Effective CPU Speed diffrence of 9%

i7-7700K 4.7Ghz-5.0Ghz

Z270 Taichi

Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB 3200CL14

RX VEGA 64 NITRO+

I just went through this.  I upgraded from a 2600k to a 9600k.  Ultimately I decided that 2 extra cores was not going to be worth the extra $140ish it would cost, and I could put that money to better use elsewhere in the system.  I pretty much only game on my PC, so I wouldn't get the benefit of those 2 cores for productivity applications anyways.  

As far as gaming goes the 9600k has been absolutely fine, I haven't even bothered to OC it yet.

Keep Learning
2023-Present: Senior Technical Advisor

2020-2023: Communication Infrastructure Engineer & Project Manager

2015-2020: Senior Systems Administrator

2013-2015: Server/Network Architecture Engineer

2011-2013: Systems Administrator

Save Your Money, the extra cores don't do much for gaming, and won't in years to come.

And since you render video, which 2 extra cores will save time, it's only a few extra minutes saved, and since you mention it is not that often, Don't thing about it.

If you have a little time, AMD seems to be right around the corner With Zen 2, aka Ryzen 3000 series, which if the specs are correct looks good. Intel is still better for gaming I would bet, With better 1 core performance, but Ryzen is a really good alternative. I have both Intel 8700K, and AMD 1800X, and both are really good. AMD best for tasks who need many cores, Intel better for games,

But it could be useful to know which type of games you normally play. Some do use more cores.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Wait after CES is done. 

New CPU announchements or teasers are rumoured to happen tomorrow. 

You might want to hold of your purschase

Cheers all, there's no rush really so I'll wait til CES is done and most likely go for the i5

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches)