Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sleeve Bearing Durability

I'm curious about how long it takes for a sleeve bearing PSU to wear out / starting to get noisy.

Let's say a brand new Corsair CX650M 8 hours/day usage, how long will it last until it gets noisy?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@jonnyGURU Are the CXMs rifle bearing or not? You stated a while back that they were rifle bearing fans and that listing sleeve bearing fans in the specs was an error on the website, but that was a few months ago and it's still showing Sleeve bearing on the Corsair website, so what's going on with that? Is the team that manages the website really that slow? :D
 

9 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Let's say a brand new Corsair CX650M 8 hours/day usage, how long will it last until it gets noisy?

How long is a piece of string? Are you a smoker? Do you have pets? Do you dust your PC regularly? Are you prone to having bad luck?... Really hard to say how long it will last to be honest. You should expect them to last a few years, so really I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your CX650M comes with a 5 year warranty so if you have any issues with the fan failing during that time just return it to Corsair under warranty.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spotty corsair website says sleeve bearing... but I know there was a error somewhere on the website with cxm, don't know if they fixed it yet

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@jonnyGURU Are the CXMs rifle bearing or not? You stated a while back that they were rifle bearing fans and that listing sleeve bearing fans in the specs was an error on the website, but that was a few months ago and it's still showing Sleeve bearing on the Corsair website, so what's going on with that? Is the team that manages the website really that slow? :D
 

How long is a piece of string? Are you a smoker? Do you have pets? Do you dust your PC regularly? Are you prone to having bad luck?... Really hard to say how long it will last to be honest. You should expect them to last a few years, so really I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your CX650M comes with a 5 year warranty so if you have any issues with the fan failing during that time just return it to Corsair under warranty.

I'm just curious bro, I already have a psu (Seasonic Focus Gold 550w) but I'm thinking about getting my brother a new psu, because he's currently running an RX 580 with his 4 years old Dell Optiplex's stock psu. Should I get him CX450M or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

He just bought his RX 580 a week ago, I don't how long that stock Dell Optiplex psu (it's 300w) will last before it blows his pc up, he doesn't have any money left to upgrade his psu, it worries me ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dreadnought said:

He just bought his RX 580 a week ago, I don't how long that stock Dell Optiplex psu will last before it blows his pc, it worries me ?

Dell uses decent PSUs. Same as any big OEM does. 

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, seon123 said:

Dell uses decent PSUs. Same as any big OEM does. 

I forgot to mention that it's a 300w unit, and it's very noisy right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dreadnought said:

I forgot to mention that it's a 300w unit, and it's very noisy right now.

well, noise is a good reason to upgrade. a cx450(m) would be a nice one for that. But look up sales of higher end units too...

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

@Spotty corsair website says sleeve bearing... but I know there was a error somewhere on the website with cxm, don't know if they fixed it yet

Yeah, it was brought up for discussion a few months ago when discussing the differences between the CX and CXM units. I think someone said CX were better because they had rifle bearing fans and JG said that the CXM also used a rifle bearing fan and that it was just a mistake on the website... Still says Sleeve bearing on the website so either it hasn't been updated yet by the team that handles the website or maybe JG made a mistake.
 

10 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I'm just curious bro, I already have a psu (Seasonic Focus Gold 550w) but I'm thinking about getting my brother a new psu, because he's currently running a 1060 3GB with his 4 years old Dell Optiplex's stock psu. Should I get him CX450M or something?

 

7 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

He just bought his RX 580 a week ago, I don't how long that stock Dell Optiplex psu (it's 300w) will last before it blows his pc up, he doesn't have any money left to upgrade his psu, it worries me ?


CX450M should be fine. If you're considering the CX450 (non modular) then check what power connectors the RX580 requires. The CX450 (non modular) only has a single 6+2pin PCIe power connector.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Yeah, it was brought up for discussion a few months ago when discussing the differences between the CX and CXM units. I think someone said CX were better because they had rifle bearing fans and JG said that the CXM also used a rifle bearing fan and that it was just a mistake on the website... Still says Sleeve bearing on the website so either it hasn't been updated yet by the team that handles the website or maybe JG made a mistake.

I was in that discussion... but I wasn't sure if it was rifle to sleeve or sleeve to rifle, that's why...

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I'm curious about how long it takes for a sleeve bearing PSU to wear out / starting to get noisy.

Depends

  • Material used
  • lubricant used
  • quality of the manufacturing
  • how well the bearing is sealed
  • position the fan is used in

So there is no easy answer...

But usually it should take a couple of years.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I was in that discussion... but I wasn't sure if it was rifle to sleeve or sleeve to rifle, that's why...

Jon said that Hong Hua, wich makes the fan of the CX don't do no Simple Sleeve Bearing no more, only does Rifle...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×