Which RTX GPU should I go for?

TractorManager

Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning to do an upgrade to the GPU in my PC. I currently have a GTX 970.

I've been looking at the RTX range, and I've not been too sure which one would best suit my use case, which is primarily 1080p60 NVENC Streaming Esports Tournaments, and I'd also be happy if I could game in 4K.

If it helps, I'm also planning to upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 7 (Hopefully AMD has something to show at CES :P)

Or, if you recommend any other GPUs altogether, then let me know!

24 minutes ago, TractorManager said:

I've been looking at the RTX range, and I've not been too sure which one would best suit my use case

Right now, don't buy anything yet. Wait for any news on AMD's new graphics cards, then you can look at every possible option then choose from there. Imagine buying an RTX 2070 for $500, then AMD comes out with some amazing 2070 level card for $250(Doubt the leaks are true, but anything is possible).

If we find out AMD is not going to release Navi anytime soon and Vega II is a flop, and you really want a decent 4K experience, then you should go for an RTX 2080/2080 Ti/GTX 1080 Ti. Those are the only cards on the market that can handle 4K well at this point.

i have an RTX 2080 myself and its amazing.
if you want to play in 2k/4k then i would recommend the 2080/2080ti 

some benchmarks i found said the FPS difference in games from the 2070-2080 is 20-30 higher on the 2080, while the 2070 is really good it's still a big amount of fps in high resolutions.

if you want to keep 1080p then you should probably get a 1070 or 1080. the 2070 is good if you want ray tracing on 1080 but at that resolution a 1070 or 1080/ti would probably fit you better.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

the next gen RTX cards, no one should buy the current gen, there are literally only 2 games that can even use the features unique to RTX cards.