Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the best channel for the this tp link router TP-LINK. TL-WR740N ?

HellBringer131313

Greeting all.I have a question is that one of my Facebook friend asked me what channel to select for his TP-LINK. TL-WR740N and what will be the best optimal configuration for this kind of router.Moreover he is getting low signal and often net is been disconnected in wi fi.So how to fix this problem.Any advice or video is welcome or any detailed article,thanks in advance.He uses a static IP address.

Manage

I will post him the answers the whole site link to him so that he can see all the answers by various members in here.I am just eager to learn.

There is no best channel, he has to determine the optimum one depending on how many networks are around his place and how loaded each available channel is.  You pick one of the channels that has fewer networks around it, less noise to signal ratio etc

There's software which can generate a graph with all the networks around you and how much "noise" they make, but I don't know the name off the top of my head.

the one that has the least other networks on it. auto generally picks the right one.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I usually hog Channel 10~13 while the clusterfuck of signals are saturated around 1~10. I don't really trust my router to do it for me since I've seen it slap itself where it shouldn't. 

16 hours ago, Suvo31 said:

Greeting all.I have a question is that one of my Facebook friend asked me what channel to select for his TP-LINK. TL-WR740N and what will be the best optimal configuration for this kind of router.Moreover he is getting low signal and often net is been disconnected in wi fi.So how to fix this problem.Any advice or video is welcome or any detailed article,thanks in advance.He uses a static IP address.

Manage

Unfortunately that is a single band wireless N router. So if your in the US you have 11 wireless channels to use in 2.4Ghz. Channels 1,6, or 11 are the best because they dont overlap. What I mean by that is channel 2 for instance will get overlap with channel 1 and other channels near it. Now that being said, without knowing the wireless environment in that generally area it can be hard. IF other routers are present, their broadcasts on the 2.4 Ghz band will cause interference. If too many routers are on one channel it can and will cause connection issues. The best way to figure out what channels are clear is to use an App like WiFI analyzer on Android to see which channels are clear. If your friend live in a densely populated area, they may be screwed. This is part of the reason many choose to purchase a dual band router, because while 5Ghz doesnt have the range, you have less of a chance of interference from other networks and other devices entirely, because many devices use 2.4 Ghz such as cordless phones, blue tooth, etc, and all these devices will cause interference as well. 

If push comes to shove your friend might be wise to look in to power line adapters or moca adapters. So he can wire up devices he needs, also some of these adapters also come with wireless built in, allowing him to extend the WiFi network. The only other suggestion I can make, try putting the router up high so the signal spreads out better. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.