Are you a minimalist?

dizmo

What do you do?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. I...

• Buy cheaper things now because I can't wait
    • Buy higher quality things less frequently

I don't own much. What I do own, I generally make sure is high quality, and will last me several years.

How about you all? Do you buy lots of cheap things, and then replace them often, or save up and buy something of better quality that will last?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I tend to aim for value as i dont have all that much money but i do kinda jump at buying all the tech that really interests me. Bought a superbook because it looked like a cool pice of tech recently for one. I got my motorbike for €600 beause that was a good deal, I7 4790K for €200 and so on and so on. I go for used stuff because thats where you find the most value generaly

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

generally i buy the best value thing, im always try to avoid impulsive purchasing, i will plan for awhile for things to buy, even going to the supermarket.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

The answers are not relevant to the question.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Are you a minimalist?

Buy cheaper things now because I can't wait

Buy higher quality things less frequently

I don't own much. What I do own, I generally make sure is high quality, and will last me several years.

How about you all? Do you buy lots of cheap things, and then replace them often, or save up and buy something of better quality that will last?

I think our definition of minimalism differs greatly in this context.

Minimalism is the preference of keeping a simple lifestyle by keeping a minimal amount of items.

These things don't necessarily need to be expensive or cheap or bought at a certain frequency, it's about how these items affect our lifestyle as minimalists.

That being said, I am a minimalist, I tend to keep things I need and get rid of things I do not need in my daily living.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Buy high value lasts longer so is really same price for better item.

$5 belt lasts 1 year

$25 belt lasts 5 years

same price makes for a no brainer!

Minimalism to me means how can I get the most out of my time and my energy, two things that are always in very limited supply. Sometimes that means getting rid of things because I have too much clutter and I spend more time trying to find something. Other times it means organizing what I have so I can access things more efficiently.

Like here's an example where I think what minimalism is: Sticking to a limited wardrobe, like two or three outfits and all of them with a specific purpose, to avoid decision fatigue but not having the bare minimum set of clothing to do that because that would require doing laundry more frequently.

On an aside, I don't necessarily think that price equals quality. Take for instance cars. Using the price = quality logic, you'd think a BMW would last a lot longer or be more reliable than a Corolla or Civic, but that's almost never the case from what I've heard.

I used to go $3000+ gaming rig crazy on the 4900k series or 5900k series with the latest TI/Titan.  I've mellowed out a lot as I have become less interested in games looking their absolute best all the time w/high frame rates at the cost of an empty bank account and high credit card bills.  For instance, I put my 4790k system with 980ti SLI aside as a backup rig for when I get that itch to have high performance for games from 2016 or earlier for a system with an 8600 non-k and a 1060 6GB for decent graphics at 1440p @ 60 fps. 
On the other hand, I've gone crazy with a pretty big corner desk with 1 32 inch monitor for videos/movies, a vertical 27 inch for my book/comics reading, and two 25 inch monitors for various windows like discord, steam and browser windows.  Yes I know having that many displays active at one time will put a bit of a damper on my gpu's performance, but  fear not.  I am going minimalist with my next upgrade to an RTX 2060.  After selling my 1060 for at least a cool $150 US,  the upgrade cost wont be that bad given the pretty hefty gains. 

Besides my crazy monitor setup and big corner desk, the rest of my room is minimalist.  I have a bed, a dresser and a nightstand. I don't really have anything that I put up as decoration.  The top of my dresser holds my electric razor, charging station for my phone, tablet etc. My bed is a full sized bed. It's comfortable. My nightstand usually houses a cup holder and my glass of water at night for when I wake up and I am feeling parched.

It's quite different from the 4 dozen random action figures and collectors edition games I had everywhere with almost no room for anything else.  They were quality figurines and statues, so I made a good chunk of money selling those off as I didn't need them.  Whatever I didn't sell, I gave to friends/family/collectors that are friends of friends for free. 

I find it best this way, because it gives me a lot of room to use my Rift headset.  Ever since I got rid of a bunch of crap, the ocurrence rate of me running into walls has dropped by 90%.

Though I wouldn't classify this as really being minimalism, I tend to go with option 2: save up to buy something decent quality. Sometimes I jump on the hype train or buy something just for the sake of buying it though, like the Vive or a 3D printer, so in that regard I'm not a minimalist since I don't technically need them :P 

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

What about...

- buy cheaper things because you don't need more and can take care of your stuff

I am a minimalist in that I like to do more with less. The few times I've gone for "luxury" mainstream products I almost always felt unimpressed. They're cool for a month, then you start having to deal with the manufacturer wanting to decide how you use your things for you... a glaring example being Apple, which is why their stuff has never met my taste even when the value was ok.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't want a headphone jack.

That should give you an idea of my minimalism.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

How about you all?

I buy tools from CrapOrama, as well as duct tape, NOT!!!!!! Cards, party stuff, candy that is about it.

Minimalistic is not spending money on things that you do not need.

on another note, i realised i spent nothing on clothing last year, other than a new pair of running shoes from mizuno (i wear this brand since primary school).

i always buy cheap (but quality) unlabled, plain coloured clothes online, black or dark grey t-shirts for the summer, black cotton hoodie for cooler days, same pair of grey jeans i wore for years, if it gets cold, i have a black winter jacket with hoods (not down, they are mighty expensive and no much warmer than synthetic stuff). for socks and underwares just grab the by the lot when local supermarket in sales. im not a person with mighty confidence with own appearance so im dont really care about fashion, clean and tidy is enough, inconspicuous if possible.

for the shoes though, it was a horrible accident that i almost lost my toes.

it was january, i was riding home on my bike, back from running some errants from a nearby town. i stopped on light, and step my foot on the road side kerb. they plant some tall grass there and i didnt notice that was a road sign stump, a piece of rusty angel steel roughly 10cm tall, it has a hook on the end. when it turned green i throttle up, and the it hooked my foot, dragged me halfway off my bike, and i was unable to move, while blocking the traffic. my right hand is off the throttle but barely holding the brake, my left hand is loose, and i cant reach the kill switch (engine is still running and on 1st gear).

luckly two passengers from the car next to me came to rescue, they helped me back on my bike and then i realised my old mizuno sacrificed itself for my toes, it tore my shoe open right on the top. luckly my toes were unharmed, tetanus shot avoided.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I'm a minimalist when it comes to studying.........

I like using things until they are absolutely broken/ unusable just to get the most use out of them.

Other than that minimalism doesn't mean cheap, in fact it can be quite the opposite. Using quality tools etc. with a long lifespan that can be used for many different things could be considered minimalist as well. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido