Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best 850W PSU currently?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new PSU. I had a Seasonic 1000W Platinum one from 2012-2017 that died and replaced it with a 650W EVGA G3 as a temp solution because it was highly regarded and quite cheap at the time. 

The G3 I have is producing quite a bit of coil whine and I've had a few power issues. I was just wondering which PSUs are currently the best? While 850W may be overkill, I think I'll be going with a regardless. Some of the options I'm currently considering are:

Corsair RM850X V2

Seasonic 850W Focus Plus

I'm open to other suggestions and would love to hear personal feedback on things like acoustics, coil whine and power stability.

I highly recommend the Corsair RMi/RMx psus (As a user I've noticed no issues, Fan only spins at startup, No coil whine etc) 

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

34 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new PSU. I had a Seasonic 1000W Platinum one from 2012-2017 that died

Do you still have it? RMA it to Seasonic. Those should come with a 12 year warranty. Looks like the older ones had a 7 year warranty. You should still be able to RMA it though if you bought it in 2012.

What system are you powering?

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, pbx2 said:

I highly recommend the Corsair RMi/RMx psus (As a user I've noticed no issues, Fan only spins at startup, No coil whine etc) 

Glad to hear! A lot of owners of RMi/RMX seem to swear by them.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Do you still have it? RMA it to Seasonic. Those should come with a 12 year warranty. Looks like the older ones had a 7 year warranty. You should still be able to RMA it though if you bought it in 2012.

What system are you powering?

i7-8700K @ 5Ghz on all cores, 32GB DDR4 @3600Mhz, GTX980 Ti

Nothing too exciting and 850W is definitely overkill but I prefer the extra headroom

2 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

i7-8700K @ 5Ghz on all cores, 32GB DDR4 @3600Mhz, GTX980 Ti

Nothing too exciting and 850W is definitely overkill but I prefer the extra headroom

So that's like 350-400W of power draw? Why do you prefer the headroom? It's better to just get a better 550W PSU.

The Dark Power Pro 11 is a good one. RMi starts at 650W, but that's fine. The Straight Power 11 and Whisper M are also good. The RMx and Focus don't have multi rail, so the higher wattage versions don't make any sense to get for you (unless you hate safety).

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

So that's like 350-400W of power draw? Why do you prefer the headroom? It's better to just get a better 550W PSU.

The Dark Power Pro 11 is a good one. RMi starts at 650W, but that's fine. The Straight Power 11 and Whisper M are also good. The RMx and Focus don't have multi rail, so the higher wattage versions don't make any sense to get for you (unless you hate safety).

It's closer to 450-500W of power draw and a few reasons. Looking at the RM850X as an example:

1. Power supply is at highest efficiency between ~45-75% efficiency (382-637W) and using a 500W system on a 550W power supply puts it at the absolute minimum point of power efficiency. 

2. The PSU is fanless up until 340W and rapidly ramps up above 70% usage (595W) so again using it on a 550W PSU produces significantly more noise
3. A lot of PSUs after about 750W start to use higher quality components than the lower wattage units.

4. Higher wattage PSUs tend to have more connectors if I chose to add components in the future.

It's a common mindset to go for a "just enough" PSU and I've never understood why. It's less efficient, louder and only very slightly cheaper

21 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

1. Power supply is at highest efficiency between ~45-75% efficiency (382-637W) and using a 500W system on a 550W power supply puts it at the absolute minimum point of power efficiency. 

BS. It's usually 30% - 40%. In the case of the RM850x it's 30%. The efficiency deviation between 20 - 80% is negligible. And a PSU can have better efficiency thats not in it's "peak" than a PSU that is, because its simply more efficient.

22 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

2. The PSU is fanless up until 340W and rapidly ramps up above 70% usage (595W) so again using it on a 550W PSU produces significantly more noise

BS. Most PSU fanless modes are dependent on temperature. And a 550w will produce the same temperature as 750w. Most times the higher wattages are louder as they use a more aggressive fan. And good PSUs are silent all the time.

23 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

3. A lot of PSUs after about 750W start to use higher quality components than the lower wattage units.

Example? They might use different designs in some cases.

Have you attempted to contact Seasonic for warranty on your 1000W Platinum series unit?

1 minute ago, Heavenss said:

Power supply is at highest efficiency between ~45-75% efficiency (382-637W) and using a 500W system on a 550W power supply puts it at the absolute minimum point of power efficiency. 

Depending on the unit it doesn't really make as much difference as you might think. You're unlikely to recover the higher upfront cost of the unit from your power bill with such a small difference in efficiency.

Taking the RMx as your example...
The RM850x is about 90% efficient around 550W. (Source: Cybernetics)
The RM550x is about 88.5% efficient around 550W. (Source: Cybernetics)

If you want an efficient unit, choose a unit with good efficiency. Not a higher wattage unit.

3 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

The RMx series of PSUs are whisper quiet, even with the fan spinning.
The RM550x under full load is still under 25dBa, and under full load where your system will be drawing up to 550W I'm sure things like the GPU fans or CPU fans will be far louder. (Source: Cybernetics)

The EVGA G3 650W PSU that you currently have is quite loud when the fan kicks in though, and will be between 30-40dBa once that fan kicks in, so I can understand why you might be concerned about noise since the unit you currently have is known for being particularly noisy under load. (Source: Cybernetics)

If you want your PSU to be quiet, then you should buy a quiet PSU with a good quality fan and good fan profile, not a higher wattage PSU. The RMx series you mentioned are quite good in regards to noise, as are the HXi, RMi from Corsair as well as units such as the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 to name just a few other options.

16 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

It's a common mindset to go for a "just enough" PSU and I've never understood why. It's less efficient, louder and only very slightly cheaper 

I have a 750W RMx for my 6700K + 1080Ti system (there is a reason for that though, I use it for a second GPU when folding), so I can't really judge anyone when they say they want a higher wattage PSU. If you want to go with a higher wattage unit then I don't really care, but I just wanted to clear up the myth that higher wattage units are more efficient and quieter when that's not always the case.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 minutes ago, Rexper said:

BS. It's usually 30% - 40%. In the case of the RM850x it's 30%. The efficiency deviation between 20 - 80% is negligible. And a PSU can have better efficiency thats not in it's "peak" than a PSU that is, because its simply more efficient.

Not sure if you realised but this actually proved my point even more. Using a 550W PSU on a system that can draw 500W under loads puts it above 80%

BS. Most PSU fanless modes are dependent on temperature. And a 550w will produce the same temperature as 750w. Most times the higher wattages are louder as they use a more aggressive fan. And good PSUs are silent all the time.

Well on the RMX datasheet the fan curve is based on power draw and in not operational until 40% load so I'm not sure why you call this "BS"? Can you elaborate? Also at peak power consumption the RM550X and RM850X PSUs are both 25dB and at 550W the RM550X is 21dB whereas the RM850X is 15dB.

While I do appreciate your input, there is no need to be aggressive and makes claims that aren't true. I took everything off the datasheet I was looking at. If you have a PSU that is different then that is fantastic but as I said, that example was based on the RM850X

17 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

It's closer to 450-500W of power draw

Sauce?

17 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

Let's compare your RM850x 2018 with the RM650i, Dark power Pro 11 550W, Straight Power 11 550W and Whisper M 550W. We'll look at the efficiency at ~350-400W. 

RM850x 2018 340W: 91,035%

RM650i 390W: 90,135%

DPP 11 550W 385W: 91,4%

Whisper M 550W 385W: 89,026%

So that doesn't really work. 

27 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

It depends on the temperature. Again, sauce. 

The highest RPM out of any of the PSUs I recommended is the Straight Power, which spins its fan at 800RPM. The others are lower. And that's at 40°C ambient. 

30 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

3. A lot of PSUs after about 750W start to use higher quality components than the lower wattage units

Sauce? Define higher quality components? The RMx 2018 uses the same platform for all of them, the Prime uses the same platform for all of them, Focus does the same. 

31 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

4. Higher wattage PSUs tend to have more connectors if I chose to add components in the future.

Modular PSUs allow for you to expand. If you need more connectors, replace a Molex with a SATA chain. That'll be plenty. 

32 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

's a common mindset to go for a "just enough" PSU and I've never understood why. It's less efficient, louder and only very slightly cheaper

All of your reasons are false. 

By going with a higher wattage unit, you get a less safe unit (in the case of single rail units like the RMx and Focus), a less efficient unit (when comparing it to a higher efficiency, lower wattage unit), and a louder unit (e.g. DPP 11, which is louder at all loads than the lower wattage versions). Of course, with some case by case exceptions. 

:)

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Have you attempted to contact Seasonic for warranty on your 1000W Platinum series unit?

Depending on the unit it doesn't really make as much difference as you might think. You're unlikely to recover the higher upfront cost of the unit from your power bill with such a small difference in efficiency.

Taking the RMx as your example...
The RM850x is about 90% efficient around 550W. (Source: Cybernetics)
The RM550x is about 88.5% efficient around 550W. (Source: Cybernetics)

If you want an efficient unit, choose a unit with good efficiency. Not a higher wattage unit.

No not yet, not sure if I have the PSU or proof or purchase still but I will look! While this is definitely true in some cases, the RM850X is only $20 more than the RM650X so to me that's quite negligible. 

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The RMx series of PSUs are whisper quiet, even with the fan spinning.
The RM550x under full load is still under 25dBa, and under full load where your system will be drawing up to 550W I'm sure things like the GPU fans or CPU fans will be far louder. (Source: Cybernetics)

The EVGA G3 650W PSU that you currently have is quite loud when the fan kicks in though, and will be between 30-40dBa once that fan kicks in, so I can understand why you might be concerned about noise since the unit you currently have is known for being particularly noisy under load. (Source: Cybernetics)

If you want your PSU to be quiet, then you should buy a quiet PSU with a good quality fan and good fan profile, not a higher wattage PSU. The RMx series you mentioned are quite good in regards to noise, as are the HXi, RMi from Corsair as well as units such as the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 to name just a few other options.

Yeah I am not overly concerned I just don't really see a downside to paying $20 extra for a PSU that I will absolutely never had to worry about hitting power limit, gives me the option to upgrade CPU or add a second GPU or even move over to X299.

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Sauce?

Look online at pretty much any 8700K running at 5GHz with a 980Ti, 1080 or 1080Ti with an OC also and it's very common to hit 500W from the wall.

Let's compare your RM850x 2018 with the RM650i, Dark power Pro 11 550W, Straight Power 11 550W and Whisper M 550W. We'll look at the efficiency at ~350-400W. 

RM850x 2018 340W: 91,035%

RM650i 390W: 90,135%

DPP 11 550W 385W: 91,4%

Whisper M 550W 385W: 89,026%

So that doesn't really work. 

There is nowhere near me where I can get a DPP 11 550W or Whisper M but comparing the prices 

RM850X - $185

RM650i - $189 (RM650X - $165)

DPP 11 850W - $299 (unfortunately only store that sells be quiet! locally only has 850,1000 and 1200W)

It depends on the temperature. Again, sauce. 

On some PSUs, yes. On the RMX series, no. Check the datasheet.

Modular PSUs allow for you to expand. If you need more connectors, replace a Molex with a SATA chain. That'll be plenty. 

All of your reasons are false. 

By going with a higher wattage unit, you get a less safe unit (in the case of single rail units like the RMx and Focus), a less efficient unit (when comparing it to a higher efficiency, lower wattage unit), and a louder unit (e.g. DPP 11, which is louder at all loads than the lower wattage versions). Of course, with some case by case exceptions. 

Yes that RMX and Focus series do go single rail but in reality this really is by no realistic standards less safe.

This thread is very quickly getting out of hand. I asked for recommendations on 850W PSUs and instead multiple people are now discussing whether $20 for 200W, lower acoustics and slightly higher efficiency is worth it. 

I'll happily take any recommendations for 750W and 850W PSUs and all pieces of personal experiences or reviews of PSUs but beyond that can we save everything else for another thread please.

Your system consumes less than 400w at load, but occasionally spikes beyond. At idle you're looking at <90w.

Look for a high quality 550W PSU.

Where are you buying from?

How important is quietness?

Do you prefer modular / non modular?

What is your budget?

2 minutes ago, Rexper said:

Where are you buying from?

Australia

How important is quietness?

Silent while idle, quiet while under load. I'd prefer a psu that is quieter than the EVGA G3.

Do you prefer modular / non modular?

Modular, preferably with nice black cables

What is your budget?

Don't really have one. Anything over $250 would have to provide something quite special imo.

o not yet, not sure if I have the PSU or proof or purchase still but I will look!

See if you can find it, if you bought from an online store you should still have it in your emails or in the account on the website you bought it from.
If Seasonic no longer has the now discontinued Platinum Series in stock held for warrranty claims, then you may get lucky and get a 'new' (probably refurbished) Seasonic Prime unit instead.
Personally I would look in to your options with Seasonic warranty before committing to buy another unit, though you could always sell the replacement Seasonic on craigslist/ebay if you wanted to go with a different unit.

8 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

There is nowhere near me where I can get a DPP 11 550W or Whisper M but comparing the prices 

RM850X - $185

RM650i - $189 (RM650X - $165)

DPP 11 850W - $299 (unfortunately only store that sells be quiet! locally only has 850,1000 and 1200W)

What country are you shopping in?

What's the price on the HX750i?

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What country are you shopping in?

What's the price on the HX750i?

Australia and $229

Australia

Ahh, that makes sense in regards to Bitfenix and Be Quiet. PCCG are the only ones that sell be Quiet products and I don't think I've ever seen a Bitfenix PSU for sale in Australia.

You can get the Straight Power 11 550W for $159 from PCCG. ($169 for the 650W, $199 for the 750W)
You can get the Corsair HX750 (non i) for $195, or if you wanted something with the Corsair Link functionality you can get the RM750i for $199.

Just now, Heavenss said:

Australia and $229

I would suggest the RM750i as it is cheaper. As far as I know the only difference is the platinum vs gold efficiency rating.

I too have the RM750i. Can't say much else than that it's a solid and silent unit.

The corsair link is nice gimmick which allows you to see your power draw and the unit can be set to single or multirail operation.  

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.2Ghz // MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth // RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: Samsung Evo 850 500GB + 250GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

I'm unfamiliar with the RM..but yeah probably an ok unit. 

If you want modular or not....

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.

2 minutes ago, JRzoid said:

I'm unfamiliar with the RM..but yeah probably an ok unit. 

If you want modular or not....

The Corsair RM series is an older discontinued series. Not to be confused with the RMi or RMx. The RM, RMi, and RMx series are all fully modular though.

50 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

This thread is very quickly getting out of hand. I asked for recommendations on 850W PSUs

Guys recommendations. I am really interested too. 

P.S. It's his money and he can buy a 1600W psu if he wants to for an athlon with integrated graphics.

2 hours ago, Heavenss said:

No, 30-60%

And we're talking about like 1% Difference here with modern Gold units or better. So not worth thinking about...

And what you are thinking here is wrong....

That is utter nonsense that violates the laws of thermodynamics.

Noise depends on Heatsinks used, the efficiency, the fan used and especially the fan profile.

I don't know who came up with that bullshit that higher wattage PSU are quieter. That makes no sense. We're talking about Electronics and cooling of that, not Engines.

And that might be the issue. That people come with a Car Background and think because a 240hp car is quieter at 130km/h, it has to be the same with PSU. Wich is nonsense.

citation needed

That is also wrong.

Correct is that they might (or not) use a different plattform that is made for higher wattages.

But that also isn't a rule and depends. Some Manufacturers do like 450-850W with the same unit, others 550-850W. Sometimes its 550-750W. 
Sometimes its 550-1200W or so. It depends. And you can't say that higher wattage is better.

Sometimes but what if you don't??
You wasted a lot of money for shit you don't need.

Oh and the most important thing you missed:
Higher wattage units cause more damage when something goes wrong!

That's two fold: one because of higher OCP/OPP Settings, the other is because there is more energy in the primary side (bigger windings, more capacity).

And in "good situations" it looks like this:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail.html

THAT happens when you go full overwatt, you don't need it and something goes wrong...

PSU can't detect the Fault...

No, you're wrong. 

Because you (often) loose Efficiency at the lower end, get higher fan RPM fans -> louder

And you get something that is totally unnecessary

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'm very sorry you wasted your time writing such a long post. I have made it abundantly clear SEVERAL times that the example I gave was comparing the RM850X and RM550X so go look at the datasheet and tell me that the RM850X is louder under the same load as the RM550X and also go tell me that the datasheet doesn't have a graph clearly showing that fan rpm and noise is related to power consumption. In general you may very well be right but in this topic you just wasted a whole bunch of time with things that have already been clarified.

I also said

"This thread is very quickly getting out of hand. I asked for recommendations on 850W PSUs and instead multiple people are now discussing whether $20 for 200W, lower acoustics and slightly higher efficiency is worth it. 

I'll happily take any recommendations for 750W and 850W PSUs and all pieces of personal experiences or reviews of PSUs but beyond that can we save everything else for another thread please."

5 minutes ago, Heavenss said:

so go look at the datasheet and tell me that the RM850X is louder under the same load

The RMx series is an exception. They use an MCU for fan control, so relative load is considered by the fan. Unlike most other PSUs that just care about temperature.

That said, the point's moot because both the RM550x and RM850x are very quiet.

For someone wanting a higher quality, silent PSU in AU for a single-GPU system the Corsair RM550x is a bargain at $140.

1 minute ago, Rexper said:

The RMx series is an exception. They use an MCU for fan control, so relative load is considered by the fan. Unlike most other PSUs that just care about temperature.

That said, the point's moot because both the RM550x and RM850x are very quiet.

You're right it is an exception, I am just rather annoyed that most people throw out blanket statements claiming what I'm saying is wrong when all along all I wanted was some solid recommendations. I just tried to give an example but I think a lot of people saw it as a generalization which obviously isn't true because it varies not just from manufacturer to manufacture but even series to series.

1 minute ago, Rexper said:

For someone wanting a higher quality, silent PSU in AU for a single-GPU system the Corsair RM550x is a bargain at $140.

Awesome, thanks. I haven't heard much bad at all about Corsair RMi/RMx and I'm sure the same goes for most of the higher end Seasonic units too