Lost with an unused fx9590

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
2 minutes ago, slyspartan700 said:

man if you could get me some link to where you found these item that'd be great..im actually getting a refund on the cpu so im gonna have a margin to get something else
assuming these are canadian pricing i'll have more than enought :D

That is US pricing, unfortunately. Here's the best equivalent I could come up with in Canadian PCPartPicker. $339 CAD, or you can hunt down these parts on the used market. They're all out there.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($133.99 @ Powertop) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($77.63 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill - Value 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($127.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $339.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-07 22:10 EST-0500

I'm in no means a super pro on computer stuff ..as a result i bought a Fx9590 to use on my M5A97Le2.0..turns out it's not working very good...after a couple of research on the problem it appears that the vrm on the board does not support the 9590 so..here's my question ...wich Board would you recommend ? im looking at a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula-Z AM3+ 990fx (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YDJHWM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2R2KIYR4R8ULI&psc=1)  I want to know if this would work..i dont have a lot of money left for a pc build so im asking here! 
Regards 
Sly

Is there any way you can return or sell the 9590?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

12 minutes ago, slyspartan700 said:

I'm in no means a super pro on computer stuff ..as a result i bought a Fx9590 to use on my M5A97Le2.0..turns out it's not working very good...after a couple of research on the problem it appears that the vrm on the board does not support the 9590 so..here's my question ...wich Board would you recommend ? im looking at a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula-Z AM3+ 990fx (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YDJHWM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2R2KIYR4R8ULI&psc=1)  I want to know if this would work..i dont have a lot of money left for a pc build so im asking here! 
Regards 
Sly

I am using that same board with an FX8370 but I think I have version 3.0.  I'm sure that it will work great with that cpu without any problems.  Don't be surprised if you get slammed on LTT for using that cpu though, since Ryzen was released most of the people here on the forums have gone overboard when asking questions about AMD FX series chips but don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers, just go ahead and do what you want, and all will be fine.  It's a great board.

Just now, kb5zue said:

I am using that same board with an FX8370 but I think I have version 3.0.  I'm sure that it will work great with that cpu without any problems.  Don't be surprised if you get slammed on LTT for using that cpu though, since Ryzen was released most of the people here on the forums have gone overboard when asking questions about AMD FX series chips but don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers, just go ahead and do what you want, and all will be fine.  It's a great board.

thanks for the clarification !! if i understand correctly the fomula 4 will work right ? in this case that's awesome :D

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

It's not a Ryzen thing, it's an FX 9590 thing. That chip eats up 250W at stock speeds and is known for blowing up motherboards, even setting VRMs on fire with its power draw. If the OP had an FX 8350, that'd be a different story, but the 9590 is a power-hungry hot mess of a CPU. The FX 8350 would be a step in the right direction.

1 minute ago, slyspartan700 said:

thanks for the clarification !! if i understand correctly the fomula 4 will work right ? in this case that's awesome :D

You mean the game Forumula 4?  If so, yea, that cpu and board will handle anything you throw at it and probably a few things that you can't think of.  I use mine to play World of Warcraft and to search for alien radio signals thru using BOINC software client that uses some stuff from SETI.

Just now, kb5zue said:

You mean the game Forumula 4?  If so, yea, that cpu and board will handle anything you throw at it and probably a few things that you can't think of.  I use mine to play World of Warcraft and to search for alien radio signals thru using BOINC software client that uses some stuff from SETI.

i was talking about the cpu in the link the sabertooth..got my board  mixed up here... the board in the link .sabertooth

Just now, kb5zue said:

But like member Aisle9 says in his post, that cpu does draw some current since it's rated at 250 watts.  When I installed mine I went with a water cooler but couldn't get the AIO to fit in my case so went with a monster air cooler called the CoolerMaster V8 GTS.  Lets just say it helps keep my feet warm.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It's not a Ryzen thing, it's an FX 9590 thing. That chip eats up 250W at stock speeds and is known for blowing up motherboards, even setting VRMs on fire with its power draw. If the OP had an FX 8350, that'd be a different story, but the 9590 is a power-hungry hot mess of a CPU. The FX 8350 would be a step in the right direction.

would you much recommend exchanging it for an 8350 and keeping my original board then ? will it be able to support it ?

1 minute ago, slyspartan700 said:

i was talking about the cpu in the link the sabertooth..got my board  mixed up here... the board in the link .sabertooth

Yea, the 9590 will work great on that board.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Yea, the 9590 will work great on that board.

im running a coolermaster 212evo with 2 x 120 fan in push pull configuration ...think it's gonna be enough ?

Just now, slyspartan700 said:

im running a coolermaster 212evo with 2 x 120 fan in push pull configuration ...think it's gonna be enough ?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Evo212 but I'm sure it will do just fine.  This monster that I have uses 3 fans in a push-pull configuration.  Here is some information on what I have so you can tell the difference.  The one thing that worried me when I took it out of the box was the physical size of this thing, it is truly a monster but it keeps great temps on the cpu.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-GTS-Performance-Horizontal/dp/B00E0EXYDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546907678&sr=1-1&keywords=coolermaster+v8+gts

2 minutes ago, slyspartan700 said:

would you much recommend exchanging it for an 8350 and keeping my original board then ? will it be able to support it ?

The lack of any VRM cooling whatsoever on a 970 chipset board terrifies me. I'd definitely swap the CPU out, since an FX 9590 is just a factory overclocked FX 8350. If you want to get 9590 performance, you can overclock the 8350, and the jump from 8350 to 9590 really isn't that much. I would go for a better board though. The idea of running VRMs into an 8-core processor without any heatsinks on them is frightening, and the 970 chipset isn't great to begin with.

Side note, a 9590 needs beastly cooling. Either a massive tower like the NH-D15 or a 240mm+ AIO. 250W CPUs shouldn't be cooled by a 212 EVO, or anything in that price range.

If you can exchange the whole setup and go with something like a Ryzen 5, i3-8100 or i5-8400, you'd have a much better future ahead of you. The FX chips are outdated already and not getting any younger, but the 8350 is still a decent entry-level chip.

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Evo212 but I'm sure it will do just fine.  This monster that I have uses 3 fans in a push-pull configuration.  Here is some information on what I have so you can tell the difference.  The one thing that worried me when I took it out of the box was the physical size of this thing, it is truly a monster but it keeps great temps on the cpu.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-GTS-Performance-Horizontal/dp/B00E0EXYDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546907678&sr=1-1&keywords=coolermaster+v8+gts

Sorry, must correct myself, there are only 2 fans on the cooler.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

The lack of any VRM cooling whatsoever on a 970 chipset board terrifies me. I'd definitely swap the CPU out, since an FX 9590 is just a factory overclocked FX 8350. If you want to get 9590 performance, you can overclock the 8350, and the jump from 8350 to 9590 really isn't that much. I would go for a better board though. The idea of running VRMs into an 8-core processor without any heatsinks on them is frightening, and the 970 chipset isn't great to begin with.

Side note, a 9590 needs beastly cooling. Either a massive tower like the NH-D15 or a 240mm+ AIO. 250W CPUs shouldn't be cooled by a 212 EVO, or anything in that price range.

If you can exchange the whole setup and go with something like a Ryzen 5, i3-8100 or i5-8400, you'd have a much better future ahead of you. The FX chips are outdated already and not getting any younger, but the 8350 is still a decent entry-level chip.

One of the major differences between the version 2 and version 3 of this particular motherboard is that the VRM on the version 3 are enclosed.  It does require a 40mm (I think it's 40 anyway) but take it for granted, it's small.  I still love the board and it works great with my FX8370.

I wouldn't cool my FX 8350 with a Hyper 212 Evo.  I can get my 240mm AIO cooking with a mild overclock.  I can keep it cool AF without.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

ok so just so we are on par here...
im running right now an fx6300 on a m5A97Le2.0  am3+ socket motherboard with an Nvidia Geforce 970GTX 
i can send back the 9590 for maybe refund or replacement ..but for what...

i dont feel the need for something strong as a ryzen since most games i play are not that demanding..

unless i can find a proper OC for the fx6300 it is my biggest bottleneck so far.

for the most it ran the 9590 brought a big difference  

51 minutes ago, slyspartan700 said:

Fx9590 to use on my M5A97Le2.0..turns out it's not working very good

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula-Z AM3+ 990fx

Formula will work, good board for oc'ing fx.

You're right abut your current board though, it wont support the chip at a bios level so without some hacking it'll never work. 

The 212 is a little small for the 9590, it'll work but you might see some throttling, needs a pretty beefy cooler. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

12 minutes ago, slyspartan700 said:

ok so just so we are on par here...
im running right now an fx6300 on a m5A97Le2.0  am3+ socket motherboard with an Nvidia Geforce 970GTX 
i can send back the 9590 for maybe refund or replacement ..but for what...

i dont feel the need for something strong as a ryzen since most games i play are not that demanding..

unless i can find a proper OC for the fx6300 it is my biggest bottleneck so far.

for the most it ran the 9590 brought a big difference  

I run the FX 8350 with modern AAA titles.  I have to turn down settings due to my old, rusty crossfired GPU's but, if the game supports crossfire I can usually hit high or epic settings.  People dog on the FX 8350 but as games more and more take advantage of multiple cores, Ive yet to see a game put cores on idle (that I play anyhow) on my FX 8350 (meaning I haven't found a game yet that forced the dual core setup of this FX chip to use the same FPU which is the drawback of the CPU, each 2 cores share the same FPU which if in use the other sits idle - so effectively 4 core chip if that happens - I haven't seen it from gaming myself).  Currently Ive hit the bottleneck for online gaming with Battlefield 5 (low settings) - its putting my CPU at 90% -95% usage, but Im hitting 60FPS locked. 

I therefore have to recommend the FX 8350 if you are set on the AM3+ chipset.  Or upgrade the mobo and cooler and enjoy your CPU :)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

16 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

but I'm sure it will do just fine

that thing is gonna fry the 212 like an egg once it hits turbo

OP will need way more than that to keep it tamed, let's say a dark rock 4 kind of cooler or a 240 AIO, it's a 200W chip after all

33 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

The F4 doesn't supports the 9590, the F5 does

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

that thing is gonna fry the 212 like an egg once it hits turbo

OP will need way more than that to keep it tamed, let's say a dark rock 4 kind of cooler or a 240 AIO, it's a 200W chip after all

The F4 doesn't supports the 9590, the F5 does

at that point im gonna refund this cpu ..put money on the side and get a new board and a ryzen 3 with a new cooler...

let's say i refund or exchange the 9590 and get an 8350..would that run on my current setup...

1 hour ago, slyspartan700 said:

let's say i refund or exchange the 9590 and get an 8350..would that run on my current setup...

You're getting into "yeah, but" territory. I don't care for the 970 chipset, period, and I care for it even less when a board has absolutely no cooling for the VRMs. Those little black squares above and to the left of the CPU socket are the VRMs that control the voltage that goes to the CPU. They get hot. With an eight-core FX chip, they're going to get very hot, and not having any heatsinks on them would be a concern to me. So can you use an FX 8350 on that board? You can, but I would be going into BIOS to try and undervolt the CPU to keep those VRM temperatures in check.

Your Ryzen 3 idea is a solid one. The Ryzen 3 2200G is $100 right now. Add a $60 B450 board and $60 worth of DDR4 and you've got a system capable of 720p budget gaming without a dedicated GPU. With a decent GPU, the 2200G is a solid gaming CPU by itself, and you can upgrade down the line to a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 CPU. Also, the Ryzen 3's cooler can support a decent overclock right out of the box, so no need to sink cash into a separate heatsink.

15 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

You're getting into "yeah, but" territory. I don't care for the 970 chipset, period, and I care for it even less when a board has absolutely no cooling for the VRMs. Those little black squares above and to the left of the CPU socket are the VRMs that control the voltage that goes to the CPU. They get hot. With an eight-core FX chip, they're going to get very hot, and not having any heatsinks on them would be a concern to me. So can you use an FX 8350 on that board? You can, but I would be going into BIOS to try and undervolt the CPU to keep those VRM temperatures in check.

Your Ryzen 3 idea is a solid one. The Ryzen 3 2200G is $100 right now. Add a $60 B450 board and $60 worth of DDR4 and you've got a system capable of 720p budget gaming without a dedicated GPU. With a decent GPU, the 2200G is a solid gaming CPU by itself, and you can upgrade down the line to a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 CPU. Also, the Ryzen 3's cooler can support a decent overclock right out of the box, so no need to sink cash into a separate heatsink.

man if you could get me some link to where you found these item that'd be great..im actually getting a refund on the cpu so im gonna have a margin to get something else
assuming these are canadian pricing i'll have more than enought :D