Will a SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter work on this optical Blu-Ray drive?

Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,

@Ja55ie

it says on the bottom that it doesn't support CD-ROM, you need one that comes with an external Power Supply

also you can connect the SATA and SATA power on your PC and leave the Bluray just a bit outside your case temporarily, there's nothing wrong with that.

Hey, I am going to buy an optical blu-ray drive from someone. I don't have an optical drive port in my pc case (MasterBox Lite 5 RGB) and wanted to use the blu-ray drive externally to rip my personal blu-rays. 

The power and data connection seem to be a standard 15pin sata connection (see picture). 

Would I be able to use an adapter (see picture) like this to use the drive externally? Please let me know what I would need to use this optical drive externally (via USB).

Thanks! 

50011321_668635560201007_2445568878151991296_n.jpg

50016440_1245274948975134_8912450519549607936_n.png

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Headset: MSI DS502 GAMING Headset | Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

Probably not. Most, if not all, internal type ODDs (Optical Disc Drives) need 12v to operate. USB will only provide 5v. You would be better off buying an external USB ODD that can handle BD (BluRay Disc).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

@Ja55ie

it says on the bottom that it doesn't support CD-ROM, you need one that comes with an external Power Supply

also you can connect the SATA and SATA power on your PC and leave the Bluray just a bit outside your case temporarily, there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Probably not. Most, if not all, internal type ODDs (Optical Disc Drives) need 12v to operate. USB will only provide 5v. You would be better off buying an external USB ODD that can handle BD (BluRay Disc).

Thank you this clarifies things. 

3 hours ago, syn2112 said:

@Ja55ie

Thanks a lot, I may just do that!

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Headset: MSI DS502 GAMING Headset | Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest |