Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HI, first time writing here. I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop. i bought it new in the end of 2017, and it's failing... the sytem is run by a Intel core i5-7300HQ and a GTX 1050 mobile 2GB DDR5 vRAM (READ, not a TI) and 8GB of DDR4 RAM.

the problem is this, my graphicscard is failing big time, windows disables it automaticly because it notices that the problem of the crashes and the blue screens of death are the card. every time i am trying to reinstall the drivers, removing the card completely and starting from the start and downloading the drivers manually, the laptop crashes and shows the blue screen of death. the problem started in about in august 2018. and is was just one crash... nothing much about it, it can happen. but then the crashes started more frequently and then when i played a game (skyrim heavily modded, with graphics mods ofc) the game would show 2 fps where it would be normal to be 30-40FPS (not knowing that windows has switched of my 1050) it was about then i became worried, i contacted lenovo tech support after doing the basics and reinstalling drivers, flashing the BOIS etc. the support contacted me and i sent over the laptops information via lenovo companion. they emailed me back and said that nothing was wrong and that they could not find a hardware problem, a week after that i got a standard email on how i rated there help (gave it a 4-10, because customer support was nice and patient, but listend badly on what i already hade tried to fix the problem) anyway i said in that review email that the problem was not fixed and a other tech support called and we got a bit more advanced, never heard form her again, even tho she siad that she would email me what and how to fix the problem. this was about 2 months ago, (my review for the support is now at a -197 of 10) so i have lived with my laptop on the intel graphics and i only can play minecraft and the elder scrolls oblivion all on low settings...... not much more, my HDMI output sometimes works sometimes it does not.... that one also started around that time. things are starting to get really boring and winter break is over, starting school tomorrow and i am going to be bored af at the breaks..... back to the computer and not my personal life....

the blue screen of death error codes are:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED        the failing: nvlddmkm.sys

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE        the failing:nvlddmkm.sys (btw this error code is the most common)

VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR        the failing: non shown

if any questions please ask and i will try to answer them as best as i can. BUT PLEASE HELP ME FIX MY LAPTOP!!! (almost crying because it doesn't work)

Those BSODs all point to the Nvidia driver crashing. The only thing to try here is to download DDU (display driver uninstaller), booting Windows into safe mode, wiping the driver, booting back into Windows and reinstalling the latest drivers fresh. If that doesn't work, indeed something is wrong. Your HDMI problem is likely related, as external ports can be connected to the dGPU rather than the IGPU. This differs from model to model.

A failed GPU or motherboard would require the laptop to be sent in for repair.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

• 4 weeks later...

Hi NelizMastr, I have tried the DDU, no result, the only result is that it takes longer for my laptop to crash, and then reboot with only the Intel integrated graphics working, I will send it to repair, thanks for the help.