NVIDIA finally officially supports Adaptive Sync (with a small catch)

D13H4RD
On 1/7/2019 at 8:31 AM, DocSwag said:

And unfortunately only 10 series and 20 series cards are supported. I was excited since I have a freesync panel and a 970 until I found that out. Feelsbad

you have link on this part?

8 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Make sure to update us on that. I'm very curious.

I sure will! 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I just watched a video, I think from ExtremeTech, where they showed off what using this on a non verified monitor looked like. The worst offender was the display blinking off kind of randomly for a split second. Something caught me by surprise, he said it would do it even if you used an AMD card, and that's where I started to doubt this whole thing, free-sync monitors should all just work fine with AMD cards. I think that nVidia is trying to force a certain window of compatible FPS that some free-sync monitors can't handle. If that's the case my monitor should work fine as it goes from 48-144hz. We'll see in a week I guess.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

10 minutes ago, 420istoday said:

I just watched a video, I think from ExtremeTech, where they showed off what using this on a non verified monitor looked like. The worst offender was the display blinking off kind of randomly for a split second. Something caught me by surprise, he said it would do it even if you used an AMD card, and that's where I started to doubt this whole thing, free-sync monitors should all just work fine with AMD cards. I think that nVidia is trying to force a certain window of compatible FPS that some free-sync monitors can't handle. If that's the case my monitor should work fine as it goes from 48-144hz. We'll see in a week I guess.

Flickering monitors happen on AMD hardware as well. I'm not 100% familiar with how it all works, but I've seen people say that its due to monitor manufacturers basically lying about their specs and forcing monitors to run in ways that the panels cannot handle. AMD does some work driver-side to try and force freesync monitors into compliance, but it doesn't always work. Even on some higher-end panels (like the LG ultrawide Nvidia is using as an example at CES) there are flickering issues. I believe some issues with these monitors are solved by changing some settings or doing various other tweaks as well, but it seems like Nvidia is just running them with out of the box settings and is not going to do monitor-by-monitor fixes in their drivers.

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

Flickering monitors happen on AMD hardware as well. I'm not 100% familiar with how it all works, but I've seen people say that its due to monitor manufacturers basically lying about their specs and forcing monitors to run in ways that the panels cannot handle. AMD does some work driver-side to try and force freesync monitors into compliance, but it doesn't always work. Even on some higher-end panels (like the LG ultrawide Nvidia is using as an example at CES) there are flickering issues. I believe some issues with these monitors are solved by changing some settings or doing various other tweaks as well, but it seems like Nvidia is just running them with out of the box settings and is not going to do monitor-by-monitor fixes in their drivers.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. My monitor always just worked out the box. It's an Acer XF270H, I've ran it with an R9 290x and an Rx 550 and both worked flawlessly. I just upgraded a couple of months ago to a 1070 and I'm really missing free-sync. I don't know if they've tested any older free-sync monitors, or just ones that are currently in production.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

the 5xx series isn't legacy yet and still gets new feature updates...

Yes it is and no it doesn't. Nvidia put Fermi GPUs into legacy status in April of last year and has only been releasing critical updates for it since then. That critical update support ends this month.

18 minutes ago, 420istoday said:

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. My monitor always just worked out the box. It's an Acer XF270H, I've ran it with an R9 290x and an Rx 550 and both worked flawlessly. I just upgraded a couple of months ago to a 1070 and I'm really missing free-sync. I don't know if they've tested any older free-sync monitors, or just ones that are currently in production.

Its too bad Nvidia didn't release a list of which monitors they tested, how they were tested, and why they failed. While I imagine there might be good legal and/or business relations reasons not to do so it would be interesting to see the results so the end user has a better idea of what to expect when using a non-certified monitor.

9 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Its too bad Nvidia didn't release a list of which monitors they tested, how they were tested, and why they failed. While I imagine there might be good legal and/or business relations reasons not to do so it would be interesting to see the results so the end user has a better idea of what to expect when using a non-certified monitor.

From their keynote video, the implication I got was they're going to test all available monitors eventually. At that time, done 400 out of 600+. In same video, they showed examples of what was bad behaviour, blanking or strobing. On their website they mention a variable refresh operating region of at least 2.4x. Why that number, I don't know.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 1/7/2019 at 4:54 AM, Cyberspirit said:

Oh, damn! What a great way to start 2019. I don't have a freesync panel either but, I'll be curious how the "Not worthy" monitors will play along with this.

I'll let you know when the driver update releases, my panel isn't on the "worthy" list.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 minutes ago, porina said:

From their keynote video, the implication I got was they're going to test all available monitors eventually. At that time, done 400 out of 600+. In same video, they showed examples of what was bad behaviour, blanking or strobing. On their website they mention a variable refresh operating region of at least 2.4x. Why that number, I don't know.

I know they plan to do all of them, but it would be nice to have a list that mentions exactly why each failed and how they did their testing. 2.4x is the requirement for low framerate compensation (LFC). LFC is one of the requirements for Gsync.

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

the 5xx series isn't legacy yet and still gets new feature updates...

So, I've been doing some digging and I may have found out a reason for Nvidia not enabling VRR on 900 and prior cards. The VESA VRR standard requires Displayport 1.2a. The 900 series only supports the base 1.2. This means that they cannot support VRR over Displayport. It seems like they, along with all current Nvidia cards, lack the ability to do VRR over HDMI as well, which would explain why this update only allows VRR over displayport.

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

So, I've been doing some digging and I may have found out a reason for Nvidia not enabling VRR on 900 and prior cards. The VESA VRR standard requires Displayport 1.2a. The 900 series only supports the base 1.2. This means that they cannot support VRR over Displayport. It seems like they, along with all current Nvidia cards, lack the ability to do VRR over HDMI as well, which would explain why this update only allows VRR over displayport.

There's nothing in hardware preventing them from upgrading the DP output to a new standard unless the hardware is literally running a ROM.

34 minutes ago, Derangel said:

I know they plan to do all of them, but it would be nice to have a list that mentions exactly why each failed and how they did their testing. 2.4x is the requirement for low framerate compensation (LFC). LFC is one of the requirements for Gsync.

in pcworld article on gsync vs freesync i linked eariler

states nvidia has requirements besides lfc too

Nvidia hasn’t publicly detailed the requirements, but representatives tell me that the company works directly with panel makers like AU Optronics to optimize refresh rates, flicker properties, response times, and visual quality; then works with the display makers (like Asus and Acer) to fine-tune the on-screen display and more. Every monitor is calibrated to the sRGB color gamut.

15 minutes ago, Derangel said:

and in the nvidia blog there was nothing on what series it supports just they are testing with 10 and 20 series

G-SYNC Compatible tests will identify monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce RTX 20-series and GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically.

but you could be on the reason why too but then again theres this article too

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-releases-firmware-update-tool-to-support-displayport-1-3-and-1-4-displays.html

so it might be a ymmv type thing on older cards

2 hours ago, Derangel said:

Yes it is and no it doesn't. Nvidia put Fermi GPUs into legacy status in April of last year and has only been releasing critical updates for it since then. That critical update support ends this month.

News to me, shows how long it has been since I put my 580 in anything, last time it had updates. Still, they support just past that now and did support them until 6 months ago, point being they typically support them for many many years, basically as long as they are still used and still able to push some modern games alright, otherwise face pissing people off. Remember how long people were still using the 8800 and getting driver updates? 

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

I think it may be possible to do a soft update for that, but it makes a lot more sense. They both have the same bandwidth, and I think it literally isa firmware thing, but I could be wrong. Still, an actual reason, and they may not be able to fix that. I was able to find some sources in 2014 finding it odd that the 9 series would not have 1.2a for this exact reason too. My main annoyance was that gsync was supported as far back as the 6 series, and it's definitely possible, but probably harder. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Swear Im never buying on black friday/cyber monday again. All this CES coverage.. Got a Vega card for my MG279Q FreeSync monitor when now I could of went RTX route. D'oh!

And 2 cases caught my eye. Phanteks P600 and Lian Li Razer edition O11

argh!!

On 1/8/2019 at 7:08 AM, pas008 said:

you have link on this part?

From Anandtech

Coming next week, this is changing. On January 15th, NVIDIA will be releasing a new driver that enables VESA Adaptive Sync support on GeForce GTX 10 and GeForce RTX 20 series (i.e. Pascal and newer) cards. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

From Anandtech

ok was trying to find where, but nvidia only states tests on newer series

so ymmv maybe?

nvidia blog says

G-SYNC Compatible tests will identify monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce RTX 20-series and GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

We will test monitors  that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce GTX 10-Series and GeForce RTX 20-Series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically, enabling GeForce gamers to find and buy VRR monitors that will improve their gaming experience.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

16 hours ago, anthonyc813 said:

Swear Im never buying on black friday/cyber monday again. All this CES coverage.. Got a Vega card for my MG279Q FreeSync monitor when now I could of went RTX route. D'oh!

That's exactly what Black Friday/Cyber Monday is for. Consumers to buy last year's products "on the cheap" to make room in retailer inventories for new product launches the following year.

"On the cheap" is a stretch, since most retailers slowly bump up the prices over the preceding months, then reset them when Black Friday hits, giving the illusion of a great deal.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, Ja50n said:

while Nvidia takes a $200-$500 cut for every Gsync monitor

NVIDIA isn't just taking money from people for nothing there is an additional cost due to having a G-Sync module integrated in the monitor.  That hardware and integration isn't going to be free.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:50 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Nvidia is more or less directly supporting the best of the 144 Hz options that were out there this Holiday season. Funny, that.

Orly? Teh best?

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2590FX-Framless-1920x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B07D377Q6D/?tag=wpcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU61508YYwYg

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

6 hours ago, BobbyPdue said:

NVIDIA isn't just taking money from people for nothing there is an additional cost due to having a G-Sync module integrated in the monitor.  That hardware and integration isn't going to be free.

You’re right, it isn’t, but it means to get Gsync, due to the added module price someone will have to step down from a 2080 to a 2070. Or, they could keep the faster card, get a FreeSync monitor, and have a higher FPS experience.

12 hours ago, Phentos said:

That's exactly what Black Friday/Cyber Monday is for. Consumers to buy last year's products "on the cheap" to make room in retailer inventories for new product launches the following year.

"On the cheap" is a stretch, since most retailers slowly bump up the prices over the preceding months, then reset them when Black Friday hits, giving the illusion of a great deal.

Snagged a Vega 56 with 3 games (XFX hooked me up. Newegg did not offer the gift) for 330 after 20.00 rebate. Not complaining :)

Lian Li O11 was in my top 3 new case choices at the 150 max budget but I went with the 570X... The Razer Edition O11 ships in Feb. I ordered the 570X weeks ago when I now know I should of waited. The Razer will sync up with all my other Razer rgb items where with the Corsair I was limited to their light strips, fans, exclusive hubs etc. 

Still getting the LL120s of course but only a 3 now instead of 6. So with the lighting that comes with the razer pre installed and less "diplay" fans needed Ill be saving 250-300 at least! and I can also add a figure inside because I like it (NO pop funco bobbles heads. Gross)

4 hours ago, Ja50n said:

You’re right, it isn’t, but it means to get Gsync, due to the added module price someone will have to step down from a 2080 to a 2070. Or, they could keep the faster card, get a FreeSync monitor, and have a higher FPS experience.

Higher FPS, but at the expense of the screen. If you want a FreeSync monitor that is comparable to a G-Sync monitor (which is to say, has good variable refresh rate range, adaptive overdrive, light boost and all the other stuff that's standard on G-Sync) then it will not be cheap. It might not even be cheaper than G-Sync. 

I don't think people realize how high quality and all the features that are included in G-Sync. There is way more to it than just resolution and refresh rate (which is what most people look at). 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Higher FPS, but at the expense of the screen. If you want a FreeSync monitor that is comparable to a G-Sync monitor (which is to say, has good variable refresh rate range, adaptive overdrive, light boost and all the other stuff that's standard on G-Sync) then it will not be cheap. It might not even be cheaper than G-Sync. 

I don't think people realize how high quality and all the features that are included in G-Sync. There is way more to it than just resolution and refresh rate (which is what most people look at). 

I've been looking at monitors, comparing prices on Newegg, and usually when looking at two monitors of similar quality, brand, and ratings, the Gsync was about $200 more. Soon, we'll have third parties comparing these panels on the same card, and we will see a real side-by-side comparison, instead of testing FreeSync+Vega vs Gsync+GTX!

9 minutes ago, Ja50n said:

I've been looking at monitors, comparing prices on Newegg, and usually when looking at two monitors of similar quality, brand, and ratings, the Gsync was about $200 more. Soon, we'll have third parties comparing these panels on the same card, and we will see a real side-by-side comparison, instead of testing FreeSync+Vega vs Gsync+GTX!

Got any links to those monitors you compared, and did you make sure they had the same feature set, such as strobing backlight and adaptive overdrive? 

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Got any links to those monitors you compared, and did you make sure they had the same feature set, such as strobing backlight and adaptive overdrive? 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-797

No clue about extra features, but backlight strobing would cut brightness in half and significantly increase the chances of eye strain and headaches...