Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD 2600 w/SLI 1070Ti system crashes

Go to solution Solved by Eastman51,
14 minutes ago, justinswanson said:

Issues:

Since the time of purchase and configuration I have found myself scratching my head over and over at what is going wrong in my system. It has been crashing and freezing almost since day 1. There is no consistency to how long or what I am doing before the system crashes or freezes. I could be playing AAA titles to just plain sitting at windows login screen and the system will crash. Upon the crash or freeze when it comes to rebooting a system the soft switch on my case does not reboot nor power down at all. Even long pressing the switch for about 45 seconds does nothing. it makes me cringe every time but I have to physically flip the switch on the PSU to get it to turn off. Also, before this happens the monitor typically goes black.

I had an almost identical issue when I put together my Ryzen build. I too have an Asus board, though not an identical one.

My issue ended up being that I had Asus AI Suite III installed, which was causing these freezes to happen. If you have that installed, uninstall it and see if the issue persists.

I would also update your BIOS and you could also try reinstalling Windows. 

Hello All,

Intro:

I upgraded my system roughly 5 months ago to a Ryzen 5 2600 accompanied by a ASUS Prime X470-Pro with 16Gb Corsair RGB Pro C18 3600 Ram, Two EVGA GTX 1070Ti's in SLI an M.2 SSD and a WD 1TB blue HDD. All powered by an EVGA 1000G+ Modular PSU. 

Issues:

Since the time of purchase and configuration I have found myself scratching my head over and over at what is going wrong in my system. It has been crashing and freezing almost since day 1. There is no consistency to how long or what I am doing before the system crashes or freezes. I could be playing AAA titles to just plain sitting at windows login screen and the system will crash. Upon the crash or freeze when it comes to rebooting a system the soft switch on my case does not reboot nor power down at all. Even long pressing the switch for about 45 seconds does nothing. it makes me cringe every time but I have to physically flip the switch on the PSU to get it to turn off. Also, before this happens the monitor typically goes black.

My attempted solutions:

1. At first I figured it was due to something program related to playing VR since that is all I would use the computer for in the beginning. given that was the issue I went ahead and made sure all drivers and all devices of my Oculus system were up to date. Still having issues I started to blame Oculus for the issue so I went back and bought a new system. Upon doing so the issues we're still relevant.

2. I began doing what I know through my job so I removed any and all unnecessary programs from my computer. I ran through bios and make sure I wasn't running any type of automatic overclocking that the motherboard may have provided. Upon rebooting the system and I managed about five hours before it crashed again. 

3. Next I unplug the computer and began removing and reinserting every component to ensure everything was lined up correctly and seated properly. 

4. I began to check the reliability settings in Windows for the issues on the computer I received a live kernel event error code 144. I search the web which product a handful issues and some suggested a graphics card issue as a typical problem. I then removed one card and hooked everything back up. About 3-4 hours later, it crashed. So I turn the computer off and when I went to turn it back on it would not post. I then began to turn the system off and back on using various ports on the GPU and on the board to try to get it to display something. Following this issue I unplugged the power from the computer and opened up the front panel and stared at for about 10 minutes before asking my computer to please turn back on and please do not have any major issues. When I plugged everything back in the computer turned on posted and launched windows. I then began to have issues with the computer crashing and then turning itself off and on several times before booting up correctly.

After this incident which sparked some fear for me possibly furthering any potential problems in my computer. I decided to reach out to this forum which may not be the correct place but I know this community is largely gaming and overclocking I'm hoping that you guys can help me. 

Please feel free to reach out to me at any time I will keep an eye out for responses to ensure I am not inconveniencing anyone.

Thank you all so much ahead of time for your help,

Justin 

15468186109953549235796035107050.jpg

20190106_180823.jpg

20190106_180753.jpg

20190106_180806.jpg

Are you running stock, or do you have an OC on your CPU or RAM? 3600Mhz memory speed is awfully high, especially for Ryzen.

First step is always to reset to stock and see if the issues go away.

What badreg says. If that doesn't work, swap out your mainboard.

No signature found

Based ONLY on the comment that you made about powering the system down, I would start with the motherboard. Update the bios to the newest revision, see if that helps the issues. Disable power saving features in the bios too, such as CPU power management, let the OS manage all of that. Set all settings in the bios to factory settings, and even turn off overclocking. Asus does this by default. If you've done all that, you should swap the motherboard. Buy a low end board from AMAZON, the cheapest one you can find, and run that for a while. If the issues persist, start looking at the PSU. The long-press shut down command is hosted form the motherboard, and the fact that it's not listening... that's odd. I would start with the motherboard. 

10 minutes ago, justinswanson said:

Thank you all so much ahead of time for your help,

Justin 

In addition, ensure XMP in the BIOS (if supported) is turned off. This can cause all manner of random issues.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

3 minutes ago, badreg said:

Are you running stock, or do you have an OC on your CPU or RAM? 3600Mhz memory speed is awfully high, especially for Ryzen.

First step is always to reset to stock and see if the issues go away.

Everything is set to stock settings in BIOS and yes I know the ram is high but I have DOCP set to auto and it's only running at 2133MHz

14 minutes ago, justinswanson said:

Issues:

I had an almost identical issue when I put together my Ryzen build. I too have an Asus board, though not an identical one.

My issue ended up being that I had Asus AI Suite III installed, which was causing these freezes to happen. If you have that installed, uninstall it and see if the issue persists.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

8 minutes ago, justinswanson said:

Everything is set to stock settings in BIOS and yes I know the ram is high but I have DOCP set to auto and it's only running at 2133MHz

Next thing I would do is to pull out one graphics cards, and all storage except for your OS drive.

From there, stress test your CPU with AIDA64 and GPU with FurMark for an hour each. If no crashes, then run memtest86 to check for errors with your RAM. If all of these tests pass, and you are still experiencing random hardware crashes, then a motherboard replacement is in order.

3 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Good suggestions. 

10 minutes ago, justinswanson said:

So issues are still happening at stock ? Even XMP off ?

If yes then try new ram kit best if you have already working ones or if you can borrow. If still happening do same thing with a mobo :S 

There isn't much to do at this point but just try and error on each component. You could test them one by one if you have extra parts or can borrow. CPU is very rarely the issue if it's stock. So I would start with trying another RAM kit, then try with only 1 GPU or best would be to try 1 another gpu  that you know is working in another system. After I would try another motherboard. Maybe you can try another PSU before swapping the mobo...

This sucks and is painful. I know.

Are you been running clean fresh windows installs ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

6 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

You having similar issues has instilled confidence that this might be the fix I'll go ahead and try this and follow up with the responses below. 

Thank you, 

Justin

Also what kind of crash is it ? Did you try turn off the windows option that turn off your computer when an error occurs ?

This might be your issue.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

If I remember correctly the RAM should be in the furthest slot from the CPU first the skip a slot and then the slot second closest to the CPU.

Edit:

Actually after looking at the picture some more it appears you have it installed correctly.  

Edit 2:

Your PSU is upside down.  That shouldn't be your problem, but it's upside down.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

If it happens at random, try to see if linux is stable.

You can create a bootable USB drive with this: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

I would recommend getting either Ubuntu or Linux mint, (i personally run linux mint if i have to go the linux route).

Install steam from the app store (like the windows store, but no need to register and it actually works :D ), install whatever game you have that has a linux version and give that a try.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Unit's pretty new and strong...would you recreate the crash and or cb or prime it all....and meter everything under load..and ignore what the sensor data says....it's doing it under load....

Did you play with the ram at all? you said freeze too...clr cmos and oc whatever and turn off all the power saving junk...PBO, spread etc...try putting SoC to like 1.2v...but yeah the power button thing....

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.

If you're RAM is running at its rated 3600 speed then it might be RAM errors and they can cause GPU driver errors too.  If you are running XMP/DOCP for the 3600MHz speed then I would set SOC voltage to 1.1V which should be stable.  Also, you might need to bump DRAM voltage a little too.  Something like 1.37V would likely help.  My 3600 kit needs more than 1.35V at its XMP/DOCP settings.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 hours ago, justinswanson said:

You having similar issues has instilled confidence that this might be the fix I'll go ahead and try this and follow up with the responses below. 

Thank you, 

Justin

4 1/2 hours through doing this and haven't crashed yet through benchmarks I will run overnight and get back with you! @Eastman51

1 minute ago, justinswanson said:

4 1/2 hours through doing this and haven't crashed yet through benchmarks I will run overnight and get back with you!

Sweet! Fingers crossed it doesn't crash!

Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

20 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

Sweet! Fingers crossed it doesn't crash!

20190107_191408.thumb.jpg.866c6d4486ff730fd5ac75ed3c6fdc65.jpg

@Eastman51 Sir, you are a blessing, I didn't have enough time this morning before work to check the system so it just kept going for roughly 14 hours. This is the longest the system has been stable @ 23 hours. I think this is the solution. Although my next step is attempt to get the ram higher than it's auto setting of 2133MHz... I appreciate your speedy response and help. Also thank you @shotsfired @nick name @JRzoid @samcool55 @gbergeron @badreg @Radium_Angel for all of your quick responses and informative help. A great helpful community I think I will stick around!!! 

1 hour ago, justinswanson said:

@Eastman51 Sir, you are a blessing, I didn't have enough time this morning before work to check the system so it just kept going for roughly 14 hours. This is the longest the system has been stable @ 23 hours. I think this is the solution. Although my next step is attempt to get the ram higher than it's auto setting of 2133MHz... I appreciate your speedy response and help. Also thank you @shotsfired @nick name @JRzoid @samcool55 @gbergeron @badreg @Radium_Angel for all of your quick responses and informative help. A great helpful community I think I will stick around!!! 

No problem man!

Just added more RAM and got some beep codes. Guess Corsair doesn't want to let me zebra stripe my RAM (like I have in my second PC, black-white-black-white). 1 color per channel I guess. *shrug*

I'd recommend sticking your RAM at 3000MHz, there's not a huge need to go much higher than that and you're more likely than not going to be stable there. 

Also, I remember trying AI Suite again after a few months, to see if it was fixed, and I got one of these freezes within 5 minutes of installation. Not sure if it will ever get fixed, so idk if it'd be worth trying again later or not.

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

Definitely don't just stick to 3000MHz RAM simply because.  There are many many folks successfully running 3200MHz+.  Heck, I had a 3200MHz Hynix kit running at 3400MHz without much effort and my current kit can run up to 3740MHz.  The one thing I will say, though, is if you are gonna stay at a lower speed then definitely make efforts to tighten up the timings.