Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will This Small Amount of Damage Affect Performance?

christovix
 Share

Hey guys, I didn't really have anyone else to ask, so I came here, I always trust the LTT community!

So, I'm building my first PC, and I ordered a GTX 1060 on Amazon, they had a Used Warehouse Deals one for a good price. It stated that there was some damage to the box, but that's all. 
When I got it, I opened it up and it's pretty much all good, the box is just kinda worn out looking, but it was packed perfectly. However when I pulled off the little black sleeve for the PCIe connector, I noticed that this one pin is slightly damaged. 

Is this going to be an issue? Should I return it? 
It doesn't look like the pin is completely disconnected, it just kind of looks like it's got a little dent.

Thanks all!

IMG_7663.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will most likely not affect performance. But you should still return the card and get an RX 580. It outperforms the 1060 for a cheaper price and also has more vRAM.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's only one way to find out, put it in and test it

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MandoPanda said:

It will most likely not affect performance. But you should still return the card and get an RX 580. It outperforms the 1060 for a cheaper price and also has more vRAM.

Will look at that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MandoPanda said:

It will most likely not affect performance. But you should still return the card and get an RX 580. It outperforms the 1060 for a cheaper price and also has more vRAM.

It has the same performance as a 1060. Not sure when the myth started that it was better but it's never been substantiated. More vram is nice but if it doesn't get put to use then there's no point.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Eastman51 said:

There's only one way to find out, put it in and test it

Yeah, just waiting on my other components.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, christovix said:

I noticed that this one pin is slightly damaged

Are you talking about the discoloration on the last pin? Nothing to worry about.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It has the same performance as a 1060. Not sure when the myth started that it was better but it's never been substantiated. More vram is nice but if it doesn't get put to use then there's no point.

Also, I got this for about $100 CAD cheaper than any version of the RX 580 appears to be. *shrugs*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It has the same performance as a 1060. Not sure when the myth started that it was better but it's never been substantiated. More vram is nice but if it doesn't get put to use then there's no point.

You have conveniently forgotten about the part where it's cheaper. Even if it is the same performance, the fact that is its cheaper means that it is out performing the 1060 when it comes to value.

 

 

 

 


 

Spoiler


Why do people have to be so negative and combative?

 

 

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MandoPanda said:

You have conveniently forgotten about the part where it's cheaper. Even if it is the same performance, the fact that is its cheaper means that it is out performing the 1060 when it comes to value.

 

 

 

 


 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Why do people have to be so negative and combative?

 

 

Given that OP has seemed to have secured a better deal, I beg to differ. Performance per dollar is one thing, but better performance is a separate topic. There are people saying that the 580 is just a more powerful card which it isn't.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MandoPanda said:

You have conveniently forgotten about the part where it's cheaper. Even if it is the same performance, the fact that is its cheaper means that it is out performing the 1060 when it comes to value.

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Why do people have to be so negative and combative?

 

 

 

1 minute ago, christovix said:

Also, I got this for about $100 CAD cheaper than any version of the RX 580 appears to be. *shrugs*

That isn't always the case. The RX 580 is usually a better deal but in this case there's no reason to return the 1060.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

UHHHHH it literally has nothing crucial on it, common sense is needed for these types of things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

That isn't always the case. The RX 580 is usually a better deal but in this case there's no reason to return the 1060.


If cost performance is at play then your absolutely right 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pi31415 said:

UHHHHH it literally has nothing crucial on it, common sense is needed for these types of things.

Good talk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Given that OP has seemed to have secured a better deal

I wasn't aware of this at the time.

 

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Performance per dollar is one thing,

This is the thing that I was talking about when I mentioned it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

 

 

 

You are right about it not outperforming the 1060. At best they are even. I respect you as a human being and I appreciate your contribution the the thread, conversation, and the community. Happy New Year.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Secondary question:
At what point does damage to pins become a problem, and what exactly am I looking at here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, christovix said:

Secondary question:
At what point does damage to pins become a problem, and what exactly am I looking at here?

Probably when it looks like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.4dce6cfc9aed5357dbfbb9d52e8ee4d7.jpeg

 

Does your card work? The first pins have to do with power.

 

This is what you're looking at:

image.jpeg.2fd4849305964698abd14ee115a45188.jpeg

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, christovix said:

Hey guys, I didn't really have anyone else to ask, so I came here, I always trust the LTT community!

So, I'm building my first PC, and I ordered a GTX 1060 on Amazon, they had a Used Warehouse Deals one for a good price. It stated that there was some damage to the box, but that's all. 
When I got it, I opened it up and it's pretty much all good, the box is just kinda worn out looking, but it was packed perfectly. However when I pulled off the little black sleeve for the PCIe connector, I noticed that this one pin is slightly damaged. 

Is this going to be an issue? Should I return it? 
It doesn't look like the pin is completely disconnected, it just kind of looks like it's got a little dent.

Thanks all!

IMG_7663.jpg

Oddly enough that happened to mine also, and it works perfectly fine. I thought it was supposed to look like that lmao 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized that the pin you have in the picture is actually the last pin in the card. Damage to that pin does not affect the card in any way.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×