Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intelligent Defragmentation Tool for Mechanical Drives

Greetings and Happy New Year to All!

Back in the day before SSDs were common there were intelligent defragmentation/fragmentation tools that would sequence your drive sectors intelligently so they would read in sequence on Windows Startup. I am working on my Son-in-Laws system and the HDD is extremely slow with Windows 10 taking upwards of 3-5 minutes before it finally finishes thrashing the drive. I've cleaned up the software as much as possible and am now looking at other options. Planning to purchase an SSD and a Primocache License for his Birthday but that isn't until the fall. In the meantime I wouldn't mind investing in an intelligent defragmentation tool to tide things over.

Does anyone know of any current software that does this? I know they existed back in the day but when web searching these days I am weary of all the scam/fake products out there. A portable installer would be a bonus as I can add it to my technician toolbox but not required. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, I may consider a ram upgrade in the meantime for him and then grab primocache early for ram caching. Does primocache store this data on the HDD to be reloaded for a quick startup or is it a blank cache that repopulates once the system has started? In the second case it isn't worth the thought then.

Thank-you for any advice in advance and Happy New Years! (Happy Birthday to me as well heh)

I don't know if any programs arrange the data as you suggest, but many programs do offer the Optimize feature, which puts the data on the faster part of the disk. Auslogics Disk Defrag has this feature.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

The windows 10 tool is more than adequate. No need to spend money on a defragment/optimizing tool.

4 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

The windows 10 tool is more than adequate. No need to spend money on a defragment/optimizing tool.

No need to spend money anyway, as there are legit free tools available. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.