Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

External hdmi 144hz monitor for laptop

RonnieV

Hey guys 

I don’t fully enjoy the gaming experience on my small laptop screen so I’m thinking about buying a 144 hz monitor. However, I noticed I only have an hdmi 2.0 port, does that matter in any way? 

I was also wondering if there is any input delay when you use an external monitor on a laptop that wouldn’t be there when using the standard laptop screen.

I enjoy playing competitive cs:go games and some fortnite so input delay is fairly important. I have a gtx 1050 4gb and an i7 8750hq if that might be helpful in your analysis, here’s the link: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/asus-fx504gd-dm030t-be-gaming-laptop-15-6-inch-azerty/9200000093052869/?suggestionType=browse&bltgh=lpUtd7gj8By9hPh3bE5NNg.urK9l1OGyAATz0E8qkVHmA_0.2.ProductPageUrl

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

I believe hdmi only doesn't 120hz

Yeah I read something about that too but I found mixed opinions. Some said they could get 144hz by using just an hdmi cable, some by using an hdmi to displayport cable and others said it could never reach 144hz when using an hdmi cable.

18 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

You can get 144 Hz over HDMI if the monitor supports it. Not all 144 Hz monitors support it, so you have to pick carefully. I would recommend getting the XG2401/XG2402.

https://linustechtips.com/main/blogs/entry/1429-viewsonic-xg2401-144-hz-over-hdmi-testing/

Damn you’re a legend, what’s the difference between the two? On the german amazon there’s a €30 price difference but I can’t seem to find any different features.