Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Workstation crashes while doing certain things in Photoshop and Premiere

Direct message from my friend. I will respond for him.

Hey, I'm having some problems with my computer. When I change fonts in Photoshop, or do add special effects in Premiere Pro, it crashes. I've swapped out ram for the kit you left, nothing changed, I have reinstalled all the major drivers, still nothing. I have not overclocked, nor changed any (Non-Thunderbolt related) settings in the BIOS.

This only started recently, but sometimes it blue screens with the error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, sometimes it restarts without warning.

Thanks!

(END OF EMAIL)

I also have a second question. Do Titan X drivers work with the Titan X (Pascal)? Because he THINKS he has a Titan X, but could it possibly be a Titan X (Pascal)

So, anyways, I tried a few more things, still nothing.

Here's a full spec list. Also please don't ask about the SATA SSDs, he just had them lying around, which is why he has 3 different types.

Intel i9 7920x

8x8GB 2400MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4

Nvidia Titan X

Asus Prime x299-A

Asus ThunderBoltEX 3

Samsung 960 Evo 250GB

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

(IDK what brand) 7200RPM 4TB SATA III HDD [2x]

Corsair H100i V2 (With Noctua NF-F12s in Pull)

Unknown wifi card. (But it is confirmed working)

Corsair RM850x (2018) 80+ Gold 850W

I'm normally a tech guy, but this system has totally confounded me. (Also, I ran a memory test, which didn't show me the results. Do I have to be literally staring at the screen when it finishes? Because I went off and ate dinner while it was running and came back to it having booted. Does this mean the RAM works, or doesn't work, and my second kit is broken?)

Please don't question the parts choice, unless you believe something is causing an error. Which it shouldn't be, because this system was working for the past ~6 months without these errors.

Thank you to anyone with a speedy reply.

P.S, if you need more info, just say so, I just may not be able to provide it immediately.

Windows Update will sometimes misconfigure the drivers. I would start by making sure there are no pending updates, especially for chipset and GPU, or OS.

Just now, PalladianPD said:

Windows Update will sometimes misconfigure the drivers. I would start by making sure there are no pending updates, especially for chipset and GPU, or OS.

Okay. So... WAIT.... you said chipset? er.... ok then? Also, I literally just installed new GPU drivers for it, but I'll look to see for the OS. Also, can I ask how to check for chipset updates?

It would be obvious, if you look at Windows Update and there are pending updates for things like "Intel - System." Also, did the system recently get a feature update? Try disabling Fast Startup in the Power Settings.

1 minute ago, PalladianPD said:

It would be obvious, if you look at Windows Update and there are pending updates for things like "Intel - System." Also, did the system recently get a feature update? Try disabling Fast Startup in the Power Settings.

Okay, thanks. (Not original poster - His friend)

15 hours ago, PalladianPD said:

So... There aren't any pending updates... I think it might have gotten a recent Windows update.

1 hour ago, Xeliath said:

So... There aren't any pending updates... I think it might have gotten a recent Windows update.

After testing EVERY SINGLE component (Except motherboard and CPU and SSD, since I don't have another x299 mobo or cpu) I haven't found anything (so far.) But I think it may be a corrupted SSD. Can a corrupted sector cause WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR?

4 hours ago, Xeliath said:

After testing EVERY SINGLE component (Except motherboard and CPU and SSD, since I don't have another x299 mobo or cpu) I haven't found anything (so far.) But I think it may be a corrupted SSD. Can a corrupted sector cause WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR?

I think the logical next step is to create a Windows 10 fresh install on a different storage drive and see if that causes the same error.

1 minute ago, PalladianPD said:

I think the logical next step is to create a Windows 10 fresh install on a different storage drive and see if that causes the same error.

The one problem is that the only other storage I have is a USB drive (I use apple computers, for some weird reason)

How do I put windows 10 on a usb? is it even possible?

Just now, Xeliath said:

The one problem is that the only other storage I have is a USB drive (I use apple computers, for some weird reason)

How do I put windows 10 on a usb? is it even possible?

I am getting some SATA drives soon, but he needs the computer back ASAP

You can create a Windows To Go installation on a portable hard drive (warning it will wipe the drive) using an ISO and Rufus. That will work well enough for testing.