Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I make sure I didn’t damage anything

Thenelwave

Hi so someone helped me build my PC by help I mean built it for me since I dont know how to and everything was fine.

today I decided to change the 3 RGB fans that I had installed for Corsair LL120 RGB fans. When I had to unscrew the fans I had to remove the Graphics card to do it properly .. and I tried pulling the gpu out without unclipping it from the mobo or unscrewing the piece the keeps it in place on the back of the case. Now from what I seen nothing happened. I was able to swap the fans and the computer turns on, im just wondering if there is a way to test my graphics card or my computer overall to make sure I did not damage anything ?

this build is brand new and was expensive just want to make sure all my parts are ok.

My parts for reference

Case - NZXT H500i 

Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

CPU - Ryzen 2700x

CPU Liquid Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 

GPU - Msi Ventus Rtx 2080

SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

HD - BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA

RAM - G.Skill Tridentz 3200MHz RGB 

Power Supply -EVGA G3

Do a visual inspection first, then run stress test for a while.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 minute ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Do a visual inspection first, then run stress test for a while.

How can I run a stress test ? Also what should I be looking for when I run this ?

Also if my graphics card was damaged even just a tiny bit would it still run games and screw up later? Or would it just not work right away?

im out for dinner and panicking. Cant wait to get back home and make sure its all good

You should be fine, as for a stress test download Aida64 or download 3dmark demo from steam. Personally i've screwed up and done that and my gpu has been fine.

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

https://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/3DMark/

Current Rig:

Core i5 9600k

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC

Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (4x 8gb)

Samsung 970 EVO 250gb m.2 SSD

WD Blue 1TB HDD

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Cooler Master Masterbox 5 White

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

Secondary/Backup rig

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4

MSI yada yada B450

Corsair CX650m

Corsair 275x

XFX Radeon 560X 4gig

240gb SanDisk SSD

5 minutes ago, Thenelwave said:

How can I run a stress test ? Also what should I be looking for when I run this ?

Intel burn-in test, Aida64, 3dmark, etc.

Keep an eye on system component frequency and temperature, listen for abnormal noises.

5 minutes ago, Thenelwave said:

Also if my graphics card was damaged even just a tiny bit would it still run games and screw up later? Or would it just not work right away?

Depend on what got damage and how bad it was. In you case (trying to remove a graphic card without releasing the PCIe slot lock and bracket screw), it should be fine with at most a bent rear IO bracket which still does not affect the normal function.

If you can still get video output from the card and it still runs games normally, you shouldn't worry too much for now.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 hour ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Intel burn-in test, Aida64, 3dmark, etc.

Keep an eye on system component frequency and temperature, listen for abnormal noises.

Depend on what got damage and how bad it was. In you case (trying to remove a graphic card without releasing the PCIe slot lock and bracket screw), it should be fine with at most a bent rear IO bracket which still does not affect the normal function.

If you can still get video output from the card and it still runs games normally, you shouldn't worry too much for now.

Thank you sky ! also I have AMD should I still run intel burn in test?

& the reason I wanted to make sure now is because I have 30 days to return/exchange any of this stuff. So rather now than later.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:24 AM, Thenelwave said:

I have AMD should I still run intel burn in test?

The Readme file of IBT stated that it "Works with Intel(R) and AMD CPUs." So there you go.

Indeed electronics are fragile, but they are not easily broken.

Chances are, if it works now, it will work later.

(If whatever you've done to the graphic card and/or motherboard bothers you or have diminished your confidence, you should just have it replaced, just in case.)