THIS Piece of JUNK was my first phone!

nicklmg

1:05 - Grandpa Linus

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

14 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Hey look the whole video uploaded this time! Wahoo!

Still unlisted for the plebs tho...

I make intelligent lights do cool things

@LinusTech

When you got this in 2003, it was already 3 years out of date since it was initially released in 2000 :P 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@LinusTech

When you got this in 2003, it was already 3 years out of date since it was initially released in 2000 :P 

Back in the day when people actually bought phones that were like 2-3 years old because it actually made sense to do so 

oh boy, i rememeber my parents having a nokia 6310i untill 2010-2012, that thing was a tank. it felt down down on a ship into the underdeck. worked like nothing happened. it still works to this day, only the battery that had it's time. that were times... nostalgia

20 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Back in the day when people actually bought phones that were like 2-3 years old because it actually made sense to do so 

And now people buy phones that are.... older or newer? I'd still be perfectly happy with an iPhone 6 (released in 2014).

360p quality, youtube is having some mad issues recently. Another channel I follow had to wait like 4 days for a 4k video to finally be available in 1080p...

Another folding phone???

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I remember my first one was a Motorola too with a gigantic antenna and an orange orangy screen

However I'm sure you could still make calls with it, GSM is still present at least in Europe
Looked pretty much like this, standing from google is from 1993 lol and I was using it in 2004

Immagine correlata

My first was a Philips TCD308, from 1997 but it was a hand down from my older sister around 2000-2001. Strange to think that Linus is like 4 years older than me but I had a mobile phone 2-3 years before him. That said I didn't get my first new phone until about 2003-2004, a Sagem MY V-65 which was well ahead of the V100.

medium_2008_5015_0006__0001_.jpg

@nicklmg I noticed that the videos for LTT on YouTube have changed to 2560x1280p instead of 2560x1440p over the last two weeks.  This was confusing at first as I thought there was a bug in the YouTube app that had the video permanently zoomed in on my Pixel 2 XL.  However, after looking at the "stats for nerds", I had noticed that the video format resolution had changed and the videos now take up the full screen on my Pixel 2 XL without having to zoom in, which is nice.

My question to LMG is what prompted the reason for the resolution change and how come it is not consistently done across all of your channels?  I created an account here instead of posting on YouTube in order to hopefully get a reply because I am genuinely curious about the design change decision that was made.

My first phone was a motorola c201 "coke phone", I believe I got it the same year @LinusTech got his. It was part of a promo with Coke here in Australia where you could get a phone on a Telstra Pre-Paid Contract for I believe $50 if you brought in a certain number of labels from bottles of Coke to a post office. I believe it had Snake, don't remember what the other games were.

s-l1600.jpg

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

We're concerned that people might associate our upcoming product's name with something vulgar, so we've decided to rename it from "the Box," to "the V-Box."  

— (how I choose to imagine that marketing meeting went down)

4 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I bought a new iPhone 6S last July because it was cheap and it's working great. There's nothing wrong with buying 2-3 old phones today depending on what you need to do.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

1 hour ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I bought a new iPhone 6S last July because it was cheap and it's working great. There's nothing wrong with buying 2-3 old phones today depending on what you need to do.

My current phone is a Galaxy S7. It works but the battery could be better.

My first phone was a Nokia 3310 that my dad gave to me in 2010. It looked exactly like this:

Spoiler

415PV02JGJL.jpg.6e990a8405c5c201dac52b256224b8cf.jpg

2 hours ago, BulliT said:

Is this a coincidence or what!?

Picture1.jpg

How about this then:

1 hour ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Yeah, it has kinda turned around again in the last couple of years. It used to be that buying an older model or a cheaper model meant you were missing out on a lot of features. These days even entry level phones have 720p 5" screens, wireless AC, 4G, 2GB RAM, ~8MP cameras. For what I use my phone for i.e. messenger, email, web browser, occasional photos, gps and music? That's enough for me.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Ya'll are young pups, including Linus if thats his first cell phone!

two words and two words only

BAG PHONE

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.YJ0TsG80OCkzJIXycRKjdQHaII%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

yes I had one

then I remember I had gotten a brick of a cell phone with a large antenna.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.BgwnTpHRNA-WGZL0cIb02gHaHL%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

My First Phone Nokia 3210, features MULTIPLE LINES OF TEXT, amazing for usage and texting and snake:

416S6MGP4ZL._AC_SS350_.jpg

(I had smooth grey trim version, but image massive for that one)

Second phone SE T68i features COLOUR and (WAP) Internet!:

41CY7J32SVL.jpg

Third Phone, SE K800, Features CAMERA and much better screen:

(Battery for scale only)

k800allsides.jpg

Fourth Phone LG Viewty, Features TOUCH SCREEN and massive better screen:

LG_Viewty.jpg

I then had a Samsung Monte because I dropped the LG (it was like 3-4 years old by then) and a friend gave me their old Samsung. It was so run of the mill, it's not listed much online, it's just a reskin of a S3370:

Image result for LG viewty samsung GT-S5620

Then I got a Note 3 and still rocking it today. Note 3 added a massive screen, performance, apps, Android, camera quality, pen, SD card capacity (the SE K800 was the first with Sony SD cards for me :) ).

I've always aimed for massive upgrades when I do upgrade. So my next phone needs to be like, Note 9, Samsung X (folding phone), or something REALLY out of the ball park, as even though the Note 3 is old, how am I gonna beat it for features I use (finger print lock I don't need, 3d cameras, notches, etc no need for them :P ).

My first was the Sony CMD J6

https://mobile.softpedia.com/phones/Sony/Sony-CMD-J6.shtml

Obviously it has nothing on modern smartphones, but I still actually really dig the aesthetics of this little guy. If I was one of these people who decided to make the switch away from having a smartphone to having a phone that just makes and receives calls (and assuming there was still network support) then I would happily go back to the CMD J6.