1080 ti low fps and power consumption

TheScottishNerd

hey i recently got a gtx 1080 ti and also bought a new 650 watt psu gold rated the issue is when i played games i get lower fps than normal 1080 tis my cpu is i7 6700 k 16 gb ram ssd. i downloaded gpuz and monited the power usage and when i first play games it runs fine but the more i play the more the power goes down and so does the fps. it says the perfcap reason is rail something and even tho it using 99 percent in the usage the fps is still low and i have no idea on how to fix this any help would be appreciated

Have you checked the power settings via Nvidia control panel?  Should be set to prefer maximum performance.

Do you have the drivers? That might be why

I am faster than 80% of all snakes

cpu: AMD Fx-8350

motherboard: GIGABYTE 970 (am3+)

RAM: 16gb ddr3 adata

gpu: AMD xfx rx 560 2gb

psu: 500w

storage: 1tb hdd

I am what you call “budget gamer”

1 minute ago, YourCrush1234 said:

Do you have the drivers? That might be why

yeah i have the newest drivers

23 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Have you checked the power settings via Nvidia control panel?  Should be set to prefer maximum performance.

ive tried that made no change

Well the perfcap is prolly vrel and that wouldn’t really matter as it should always do that under load if the card is cool enough. 

As far as actual performance, perhaps show a graph with the temp, usage, clock speeds and power/voltage. Then a graph of the rest of the system at the same time, cpu per core, ram and storage. 

Have you ran a benchmark such such as unigine and see how it effects it?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well the perfcap is prolly vrel and that wouldn’t really matter as it should always do that under load if the card is cool enough. 

As far as actual performance, perhaps show a graph with the temp, usage, clock speeds and power/voltage. Then a graph of the rest of the system at the same time, cpu per core, ram and storage. 

Have you ran a benchmark such such as unigine and see how it effects it?

ive ran 3dmark and if i restart and then run 3dmark ill get around 9 k on time spy but if i run it again it iwll go down to like 5 k. its works fine when i restart for about 10 mins then the power will just drop but ill record a video with a graph and gpuz to show the actual numbers 

Just now, TheScottishNerd said:

ive ran 3dmark and if i restart and then run 3dmark ill get around 9 k on time spy but if i run it again it iwll go down to like 5 k. its works fine when i restart for about 10 mins then the power will just drop but ill record a video with a graph and gpuz to show the actual numbers 

Untitled.png

What are you using to control the card?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, TheScottishNerd said:

Untitled.png

ill get a video of it aswell but the power consumption is never at 100 percent unless its when i first restart

1 minute ago, TheScottishNerd said:

ill get a video of it aswell but the power consumption is never at 100 percent unless its when i first restart

Power doesn’t need to be at 100%. Should always move around based on load and fan speed. 

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Power doesn’t need to be at 100%. Should always move around based on load and fan speed. 

the card never reaches 75 oc under full load but the gpu usage also doesnt hit 100 and when it does the fps is still nowhere near 1080 ti levels like on the gpuz the card never reaches full tdp unless its after a restart and when its on full tdp it runs like a normal 1080 ti. But it then drops to 70 and never goes any higher which affects the fps