Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Desktop is completely Freezing

Gidget01

So I recently built a new desktop with some parts I was able to throw together as I have been collecting stuff here and there over the past few years (I'll list my specs below). I had a great opportunity where my friend offered to sell me a GTX 1070 for a great deal but he said it crashed in some games for him and he was upgrading anyway (I figured he just hadn't updated his drivers or something). So the issue that I have been having is that my entire computer will freeze around every 20 minutes (but sometimes 30, and sometimes immediately after restarting) or so when only when I am in a 2d task (such as being in chrome, or discord, essentially anything except for a game). This is what leads me to believe that it is a GPU issue, but It could also be the motherboard or psu as they just a tad sketchy. Originally it would just restart when it happened, but I went and turned off Auto restart so I could potentially get an error message or something when it crashes. Instead, all that happens is I get basically a screenshot of my desktop or whatever is running where I can no longer move my mouse or type, along with sound cutting out from my headphones after about two or so seconds. I went and checked event viewer after restarting and nothing was present during the time it crashed. Kinda odd. I also checked my Memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic and that seems to be okay. Thanks for any help anyone has to offer and let me know if I need to provide any more information.

note: my drivers are current along with windows (running windows 10 Pro)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (don't know which exact model since I bought it from a friend but I can find out if that's needed)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE AB350M-DS3H

RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 3000mhz (its only running at 2400mhz though)

SSD: Kingston A400 2.5" 120GB SATA III

Hard Drive: two 350 GB HDDs (I dont really know where they are from or anything I just have them)

PSU: some older 750W PSU from a lesser know company that I got out of an old rig from my Dad's co-worker (kinda sketchy and has this awful coil whine though the whine may be the GPU cant really tell though)