Building a mid-high end PC/workstation for a friend

Alexaldin
2 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

So the Asus STRIX Z390 are "good"? Maybe I can convince him to upgrade a little with the budget...

well, the z390's are not bad in any way. they are just worthless with a effective 4 phase power design. I'll use the crosshair z390 as a example, with about what other companies have to offer

Asus (crosshair): fake 8 phase (effective 4 phase)

Asrock (taichi):10 phase power design

Gigabyte (aorus):12 phase power design

MSI (pro carbon): 8 phase power design

5 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

So the Asus STRIX Z390 are "good"? Maybe I can convince him to upgrade a little with the budget...

and I was talking about the z370's. the z390's aren't really that good

20 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, the z390's are not bad in any way. they are just worthless with a effective 4 phase power design. I'll use the crosshair z390 as a example, with about what other companies have to offer

Asus (crosshair): fake 8 phase (effective 4 phase)

Asrock (taichi):10 phase power design

Gigabyte (aorus):12 phase power design

MSI (pro carbon): 8 phase power design

Ok, I think I got him to buy Gigabyte, even if it doesn't have USB-C.

I have a question, since I don't want to put an AIO cause it costs more and he doesn't notice if the pump break, there are more good Air Cooler out there for around 50€?

And are you sure the Cooler Master 212 EVO is not anymore that good? I used it in a lot of build, even recently on a i5-7600k.

1 minute ago, Alexaldin said:

Ok, I think I got him to buy Gigabyte, even if it doesn't have USB-C.

I have a question, since I don't want to put an AIO cause it costs more and he doesn't notice if the pump break, there are more good Air Cooler out there for around 50€?

And are you sure the Cooler Master 212 EVO is not anymore that good? I used it in a lot of build, even recently on a i5-7600k.

the 212 isn't what it used to be anymore. these are some notable coolers

arctic freezer 33 esports one

noctua nhd15/nhd14

cryorig h7

be quiet dark rock (pro) 4

be quiet dark rock (pro) 3

sycythe mugen

btw, usb c pcie cards exist

On 1/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, LukeSavenije said:

the 212 isn't what it used to be anymore. these are some notable coolers

arctic freezer 33 esports one

noctua nhd15/nhd14

cryorig h7

be quiet dark rock (pro) 4

be quiet dark rock (pro) 3

sycythe mugen

btw, usb c pcie cards exist

We found a deal on the i7-9700k for 30€ less, and we picked the Cooler Master MasterBox 5 at 57.99€ instead of the NZXT CA-H442C-M8 at 135€. So now we can pick an AIO instead of an air cooler.

I thought about the NZXT X62, so in the future he can even OC a bit more. Good choice?

Just now, Alexaldin said:

We found a deal on the i7-9700k for 30€ less, and we picked the Cooler Master MasterBox 5 at 57.99€ instead of the NZXT CA-H442C-M8 at 135€. So now we can pick an AIO instead of an air cooler.

I thought about the NZXT X62, so in the future he can even OC a bit more. Good choice?

not a big fan of aios in general, but that's more something personal

the mb5 isn't the best airflowwise from my experience, but you could have done much worse

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not a big fan of aios in general, but that's more something personal

the mb5 isn't the best airflowwise from my experience, but you could have done much worse

Is there something better than the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports but not beefy as the Noctua?

My fear is that the cooler will obstruct the RAM slot.

Sorry man, case+cooler is one of my biggest nightmare in a build.

Here in Italy the case market sucks a lot, we have very few case choise, since a lot of Italian buys iTek the market is full of them. iTek Ninja was one of the most popular some year ago.

Btw, he choose 3 more case to pick, but since he doesn't care about the "aesthetic" of the inside I discarded them. He picked Thermaltake View 27, View 21 TG and Versa C23.

3 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

Is there something better than the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports but not beefy as the Noctua?

My fear is that the cooler will obstruct the RAM slot.

Sorry man, case+cooler is one of my biggest nightmare in a build.

Here in Italy the case market sucks a lot, we have very few case choise, since a lot of Italian buys iTek the market is full of them. iTek Ninja is one of the most popular some year ago.

Btw, he choose 3 more case to pick, but since he doesn't care about the "aesthetic" of the inside I discarded them. He picked Thermaltake View 27, View 21 TG and Versa C23.

you're in the european union, you only pay for shipping, so you could technicly shop elsewhere too...

and amazon it neither then?

what ram sticks does he want? any preferences on the case?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

you're in the european union, you only pay for shipping, so you could technicly shop elsewhere too...

and amazon it neither then?

what ram sticks does he want? any preferences on the case?

Amazon.it is the nightmare. But we buy from it cause the customer service is always good with Prime. If we got any problem, just say it and they almost always solve it. I got an Arctic Freezer 240 that broke within the 2 years warranty from them, and they refunded it completely. 

We will go with Ripjaws V. Or Trident Z, depend on what costs less. Maybe ever HyperX Fury.

I found a shop where I live that have the Fractal that you suggest, I can try to convince him.

I'm opened to other suggestions. He needs something not bigger than the MasterBox 5 or the NZXT CA-H442C-M8. I don't think he cares that much of aesthetic.

3 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

Amazon.it is the nightmare. But we buy from it cause the customer service is always good with Prime. If we got any problem, just say it and they almost always solve it. I got an Arctic Freezer 240 that broke within the 2 years warranty from them, and they refunded it completely. 

We will go with Ripjaws V. Or Trident Z, depend on what costs less. Maybe ever HyperX Fury.

I found a shop where I live that have the Fractal that you suggest, I can try to convince him.

I'm opened to other suggestions. He needs something not bigger than the MasterBox 5 or the NZXT CA-H442C-M8. I don't think he cares that much of aesthetic.

for the cases I suggest these for example

Fractal design Focus G/Meshify

Lian-li pc-o11

Cooler master h500/mb511 (rgb)

he might like one of these

I'll take the nh-d15 and the trident z rgb as a example, you won't have enough clearence when the second fan is down the ram sticks, but if you do it without, you can easiliy fit it. just look up the specs on the manifacturers website

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

for the cases I suggest these for example

Fractal design Focus G/Meshify

Lian-li pc-o11

Cooler master h500/mb511 (rgb)

he might like one of these

I'll take the nh-d15 and the trident z rgb as a example, you won't have enough clearence when the second fan is down the ram sticks, but if you do it without, you can easiliy fit it. just look up the specs on the manifacturers website

He liked the Focus G a lot. I'll making him look at the Meshify. The other 2 are too expensive.

The MB511 only the rgb version? He doesn't like rgb. There's the MB511 Black at 56€.

Ooook, then I'll take a closer look at the list you made some post up. 

12 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

He liked the Focus G a lot. I'll making him look at the Meshify. The other 2 are too expensive.

The MB511 only the rgb version? He doesn't like rgb. There's the MB511 Black at 56€.

Ooook, then I'll take a closer look at the list you made some post up. 

they are the same, i set things like that if i want to give two options with a add-on

the mb511 is kind of a mb5lite with a mesh front panel

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

they are the same, i set things like that if i want to give two option with a add-on

the mb511 is kind of a mb5lite with a mesh front panel

He choosed the MB511, he liked it a lot.

You are one awesome man, ty very much.

He choosed the MB511, he liked it a lot.

You are one awesome man, ty very much.

no problem. figured out the cooler part yet?

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Need to think about it. Too many choices.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:58 PM, LukeSavenije said:

He decided to go with an AIO.

Buuuut, now I need two 140mm fans to put in the case that he chose, the MB511. A friend suggested the Corsair ML140, are they good? I'll put them in front of the case, for the intake of air.

28 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

He decided to go with an AIO.

Buuuut, now I need two 140mm fans to put in the case that he chose, the MB511. A friend suggested the Corsair ML140, are they good? I'll put them in front of the case, for the intake of air.

I thought he didn't like rgb? well, they are good, but keep in mind you'll probebly need the light node with it, but I'm not that familiar with corsairs lightning system

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I thought he didn't like rgb? well, they are good, but keep in mind you'll probebly need the light node with it, but I'm not that familiar with corsairs lightning system

These are not RGB

1 minute ago, Alexaldin said:

oh, wait... there are non-rgb versions of it too? never seen those before

I would recommend looking into noctua and be quiet fans, they are around the same price and have a higher quality

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, wait... there are non-rgb versions of it too? never seen those before

I would recommend looking into noctua and be quiet fans, they are around the same price and have a higher quality

Do you recommend some model in particular? There are a lot of them 

Do you recommend some model in particular? There are a lot of them 

one with PWM is recommended. everything else is your/his choise