Building a mid-high end PC/workstation for a friend

Alexaldin

Hello everyone, I'm building a PC for a friend who needs it to game and work. It's my first time building such an High-end PC, so I need some advice.

1. Budget & Location

Living in Italy, budget of 1800€

2. Aim

Gaming at 1080p full max settings and future upgrade to 2k/4k. Working primarily with Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere.

He needs just the pc, he already have all the peripherals.

Component list

CPU: i7 9700K

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

RAM: 16 Gb (2*8Gb) non-rgb

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb

HDD: Wd Black 2TB

GPU: RTX 2070 (Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA or Zotac)

PSUEVGA 850 GQ

Case: (he's choosing one)

Now, I'm not entirely sure on some parts.

Cooler: I don't wanna pick an AIO cooler, cause he probably can't do a lot of maintainance on it, so I prefer a classic air. The 212 EVO will be enough for the 9700k?

MoBo: I prefer to stay with Asus for this part, but he doesn't like all the rgb stuff, is there a "plain" Z390?

PSU: never used a PSU from EVGA, is that good? I usually use Thermaltake or CoolerMaster, but this is an high-end build, so I'm not entirely sure.

Thank you all.

well, I can make a list. but I'll start with the build

cpu: good choise, but you might want to switch it to a 8700k for the extra treads, or ryzen if you want to get out cheaper

cooler: I would get something like a arctic freezer 33 esports one, the 212 isn't what it used to be

mobo: don't get asus on z390... power phase problems. if you want the best on z390, look into the aorus linup

ram: should be right, would look into 3000+ mhz for a little more

SSD: could be worth it for adobe, would add a bigger sata ssd and a smaller nvme myself

hdd: why? why not just get a barracuda or blue?

GPU: you should be able to fit in a 2080

PSU: overkill wattage, less quality. look into at least 550 watts, more is not needed on this system. the psu tier list is your friend here... tier c+, higher is better

Case: so no need to help with that?

if you still want the list, just tell me

• The cooler is trash, get something like @LukeSavenije suggested.
  • I'd take a strong look at other SSD options; there should be something cheaper providing greater capacity.
  • AIOs require 0 maintenance.
  • EVGA is an excellent PSU, just make sure to check the LTT PSU Tier List and pick something from tier 1 or 2.
  • If you can, wait to see what AMD releases next week.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

EVGA is an excellent PSU, just make sure to check the LTT PSU Tier List and pick something from tier 1 or 2.

yeah, but it's a waste of money to get that one at that price imo...

at least seeing that a pure power 11 cm can be had for 90 bucks on amazon.it.... and maybe even less at local retailers

29 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

Cooler: I don't wanna pick an AIO cooler, cause he probably can't do a lot of maintainance on it, so I prefer a classic air. The 212 EVO will be enough for the 9700k?

There is no maintenance on an AIO they're sealed units. PSU choice is little overkill EVGA is good though so is corsair and seasonic , 9700k vs 8700k is a wash R7 might be a good choice and save a decent chunk for higher end graphics but I've heard intel plays better with the software you mentioned from hardware canucks. I'd look into this and see if AMD will work fine now that some time has passed since you will get much more opportunity for upgrading later. HDD makes no sense just get a blue/red or two and raid 1/ raid 1+0 if data is important and irreplaceable.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, I can make a list. but I'll start with the build

cpu: good choise, but you might want to switch it to a 8700k for the extra treads, or ryzen if you want to get out cheaper

cooler: I would get something like a arctic freezer 33 esports one, the 212 isn't what it used to be

mobo: don't get asus on z390... power phase problems. if you want the best on z390, look into the aorus linup

ram: should be right, would look into 3000+ mhz for a little more

SSD: could be worth it for adobe, would add a bigger sata ssd and a smaller nvme myself

hdd: why? why not just get a barracuda or blue?

GPU: you should be able to fit in a 2080

PSU: overkill wattage, less quality. look into at least 550 watts, more is not needed on this system. the psu tier list is your friend here... tier c+, higher is better

Case: so no need to help with that?

if you still want the list, just tell me

I changed the cooler with the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports One.
For the RAM I'll see what's costs less when we buy it, I'll opt for G.Skill, HyperX or Corsair.

For the HDD I have two Wd Black and I find them awesome, just for that. I want to put a 7200rpm in it, large enough, and I can't find a Wd Blue 2tb at 7200rpm.
For the GPU, here in Italy a 2080 costs 900-1000€, I don't think I can fit it in the budget :(

For the PSU, I looked the Tier List, and in Tier 2 there's the EVGA GQ. What should I pick then?

He wants a PC that can last for like 5-6 years, that's why I'm making it a less overkill with the PSU, so if he wants to put something like two 2080 he can do it.

I appreciate if you can do a list, it would be awesome!

1 hour ago, dizmo said:
  • The cooler is trash, get something like @LukeSavenije suggested.
  • I'd take a strong look at other SSD options; there should be something cheaper providing greater capacity.
  • AIOs require 0 maintenance.
  • EVGA is an excellent PSU, just make sure to check the LTT PSU Tier List and pick something from tier 1 or 2.
  • If you can, wait to see what AMD releases next week.

Changed the cooler.

There's plenty of time, I'll take a look at AMD, but I still prefer Intel.

Just now, Alexaldin said:

Thank you very much!

you're welcome! if you have any questions, just ask!

Just now, Grigsy said:

I think I am going to steal this list/template and build my own computer for the first time. Bazinga.

you might want to steal it with ripjaws 5 then... cl15

jjn30.jpg.369c3967c433139a0e9388a25f70f046.jpg

/jk

6 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

cpu: good choise, but you might want to switch it to a 8700k for the extra treads

sorry for hijacking this thread. but 1 question. why 8700k is better(?) than 9700k?

< ̄`ヽ、       /  ̄ >

ゝ、  \ /⌒ヽ,ノ   /´

ゝ、 ( ( ͡◉ ͜> ͡◉) /

>     ,ノ

sorry for my bat englandski

3 minutes ago, gta6287 said:

sorry for hijacking this thread. but 1 question. why 8700k is better(?) than 9700k?

for some workloads it's better because of the 8700k having more treads. the 9700k is just 8c/8t and the 8700k 6c/12t

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

for some workloads it's better because of the 8700k having more treads. the 9700k is just 8c/8t and the 8700k 6c/12t 

I see. thanks

< ̄`ヽ、       /  ̄ >

ゝ、  \ /⌒ヽ,ノ   /´

ゝ、 ( ( ͡◉ ͜> ͡◉) /

>     ,ノ

sorry for my bat englandski

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

you're welcome! if you have any questions, just ask!

I talked to him, he said that he will be more comfortable to use a PSU with more W. I searched, is the "be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W CM" ok? Or there's something better at around 100-110€? I need a semi-modular, a full is not needed.

I changed the MoBo (now it is a Asus TUF Z390-Pro GAMING), the HDD (now a Seagate ST2000DM008) and the PSU.

If I can fit I will put a 2080 in it.

Ah, and for the case, here in Italy Fractal Design is way overpriced, I suggested him looking for something from NZXT, CoolerMaster, Zalman or Thermaltake.

Just now, Alexaldin said:

I talked to him, he said that he will be more comfortable to use a PSU with more W. I searched, is the "be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W CM" ok? Or there's something better at around 100-110€? I need a semi-modular, a full is not needed.

I changed the MoBo (now it is a Asus TUF Z390-Pro GAMING), the HDD (now a Seagate ST2000DM008) and the PSU.

If I can fit I will put a 2080 in it.

just to start... I am busy with someone that wants to put a 2080 ti sli/9900k on overclock on a psu, a 850 would hold it, so there's technicly no need for it.

bitfenix whisper and formula gold and the seasonic focus gold is a good option too. 

change the mobo back, that thing is a overpriced line that can't even come close to the aorus linup with a effective 4 phase power design. the hdd is fine

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

just to start... I am busy with someone that wants to put a 2080 ti sli/9900k on overclock on a psu, a 850 would hold it, so there's technicly no need for it.

bitfenix whisper and formula gold and the seasonic focus gold is a good option too. 

change the mobo back, that thing is a overpriced line that can't even come close to the aorus linup with a effective 4 phase power design. the hdd is fine

I picked the Gigabyte Z390, or if my friend wants all Asus I'll go with the PRIME Z390-A.

My friend choosed the case, it's a NZXT CA-H442C-M8 cause he wants a plain and simple case, no RGB. Is it good? There's something cheaper I can show him? 

EDIT: he decided he wants that case, so nevermind.

I think we can put a 2080 in it. I picked the Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME 8G 8 GB GDDR6 since it's the cheapest on Amazon.it now.

37 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

I picked the Gigabyte Z390, or if my friend wants all Asus I'll go with the PRIME Z390-A.

My friend choosed the case, it's a NZXT CA-H442C-M8 cause he wants a plain and simple case, no RGB. Is it good? There's something cheaper I can show him? 

EDIT: he decided he wants that case, so nevermind.

I think we can put a 2080 in it. I picked the Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME 8G 8 GB GDDR6 since it's the cheapest on Amazon.it now.

4 against 12 phase... wouldn't have been my choise, but okay. 

the h440 is a good case, take a look at the Cooler master h500 and mb511 rgb too

too late

yeah, that's a good card, no problems with that

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

4 against 12 phase... wouldn't have been my choise, but okay. 

the h440 is a good case, take a look at the Cooler master h500 and mb511 rgb too

too late

yeah, that's a good card, no problems with that

What's the difference with the phase? Will it influence that much? 

If I want a really good Asus Z390 then, what should I pick? 

And, I noticed that the Gigabyte lacks of a Type-C Port. 

1 minute ago, Alexaldin said:

What's the difference with the phase? Will it influence that much? 

If I want a really good Asus Z390 then, what should I pick? 

And, I noticed that the Gigabyte lacks of a Type-C Port. 

stable and more power delivery, the gigabyte is highly superiour

z370 boards...

z370 strix boards are pretty good, but givve a worse value

maybe you can convince him to gigabyte with this?

or if he really wouldn't, convince him to asrock z390 boards, asrock has been asus untill 2010

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

stable and more power delivery, the gigabyte is highly superiour

z370 boards...

z370 strix boards are pretty good, but givve a worse value

maybe you can convince him to gigabyte with this?

or if he really wouldn't, convince him to asrock z390 boards, asrock has been asus untill 2010

I'll try to convince him on the Gigabyte. 

ASRock costs way more than Asus and Gigabyte, and there's no Amazon Prime.

3 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

I'll try to convince him on the Gigabyte. 

ASRock costs way more than Asus and Gigabyte, and there's no Amazon Prime.

btw, the strix are 8 phase, just fyi

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

btw, the strix are 8 phase, just fyi

So the Asus STRIX Z390 are "good"? Maybe I can convince him to upgrade a little with the budget...