Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any reccomendation for this DL build with a 1400$ budget?

Hi.

I would like your opinion on the differences in performance of different types of DL algorithms this build I put together on pcpartpicker.com, can achieve?

 

 

 

I know the 750W PSU looks like overkill, but I intend to upgrade the CPU in the future (if I believe I will get enough of a percentage boost on the performance) and to add either another 1070ti (the board supports SLI) or maybe even eventually upgrade it to two 1080ti´s...

 

How would you improve upon these the most given that the budget is 1400$* for the build and case, which is missing because I haven't found one that 1 - is under 100$, 2 - offers good air flow and 3 - has decent aesthetics - I welcome suggestions in that regard as well.

 

About the GPU... What is the difference in performance between the NVIDEA 1070ti - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4ZrmP6/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-founders-edition-video-card-900-1g411-2510-000 for 599$ and the Zotac 1070ti - https://pcpartpicker.com/…/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-am… - for 429.99$ . The Price difference is considerable, and they both seem to have the same number of CUDA cores (2432). How great would the difference in performance be?

So many questions... you need not answer them all. Just speak your mind in whichever question/s you would like to answer.

Assume I will buy all parts new when considering ways to add more bang to the 1400$ budget. Thanks 1f603.png:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MachineLearning said:

Hi.

I would like your opinion on the differences in performance of different types of DL algorithms this build I put together on pcpartpicker.com, can achieve?

 

 

 

I know the 750W PSU looks like overkill, but I intend to upgrade the CPU in the future (if I believe I will get enough of a percentage boost on the performance) and to add either another 1070ti (the board supports SLI) or maybe even eventually upgrade it to two 1080ti´s...

 

How would you improve upon these the most given that the budget is 1400$* for the build and case, which is missing because I haven't found one that 1 - is under 100$, 2 - offers good air flow and 3 - has decent aesthetics - I welcome suggestions in that regard as well.

 

About the GPU... What is the difference in performance between the NVIDEA 1070ti - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4ZrmP6/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-founders-edition-video-card-900-1g411-2510-000 for 599$ and the Zotac 1070ti - https://pcpartpicker.com/…/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-am… - for 429.99$ . The Price difference is considerable, and they both seem to have the same number of CUDA cores (2432). How great would the difference in performance be?

So many questions... you need not answer them all. Just speak your mind in whichever question/s you would like to answer.

Assume I will buy all parts new when considering ways to add more bang to the 1400$ budget. Thanks 1f603.png:D

I've been a LTT forum addict recently and I've been helping with alot of problems. Plz listen to me when I tell you 80-90% of the problems I tried to help with are Ryzen systems. This system is great don't get me wrong. But consider paying a slight premium for Intel OR wait after CES for the new ZEN line ups. There are sooo many bugs and compatibility issues with AMD ryzen cpus. Just some friendly advice. 

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen 3000 series will be announced in a few days, so just wait for that.

 

Also the Nvidia makes the 1070ti chips, but companies just put different coolers on them.

I would just get the zotac card, it ha a better cooler too.

The "Nvidia reference" editions sell for more, because these are kinda collectible, but they dont have better performance.

12 minutes ago, phoon said:

I've been a LTT forum addict (168 posts in 2 years)

Those are rookie numbers, you need to pump those numbers up!!!

I only see your reply if you @ me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

A good B450 motherboard will be more than that enough. The motherboard costs as much as your CPU, in my opinion, this is really stupid

Getting 2 ram sticks from different companies is ok but try to get from the same brand (Corssair eg)

Also Ryzen benefits from fast ram so i recommend you getting at least 3000Mhz RAM CL16 or lower

 

Here. It's a little bit over your budget but it uses Samsung B-Die Memory, an NVMe SSD and an RTX 2070

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yyZxdX

Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yyZxdX/by_merchant/

 

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI - B450M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ B&H) 

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($147.00 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card  ($489.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ B&H) 

Total: $1274.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-05 08:29 EST-0500

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

A good B450 motherboard will be more than that enough. The motherboard costs as much as your CPU, in my opinion, this is really stupid

Getting 2 ram sticks from different companies is ok but try to get from the same brand (Corssair eg)

Also Ryzen benefits from fast ram so i recommend you getting at least 3000Mhz RAM CL16 or lower

 

Here. It's a little bit over your budget but it uses Samsung B-Die Memory, an NVMe SSD and an RTX 2070

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yyZxdX

Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yyZxdX/by_merchant/

 

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI - B450M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ B&H) 

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($147.00 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card  ($489.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ B&H) 

Total: $1274.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-05 08:29 EST-0500

Hummm. several things :

1. Great case you found for me. Thanks

2. The board you found does not support SLI and I will most likely be upgrading my build to a 2x 1070ti, as I mentioned above.

3. Interesting point about the ryzens benefitting from fast RAM, had not read that before, so thanks - 3.1 - Will that significantly increase the performance in DL in general? 3.2 - Wouldn´t it just be better to have 2x16Gb G.Skill 2400mhz RAM for the same price? I will be upgrading the RAM in the future as well, and everytime I upgrade it I will add another 1x16Gb stick, and that is only if I see that a significant portion of the tasks seem to be using all of the available RAM - the same brand argument... is it about the likelihood that everything has a higher probability of being compatible?

4. I have read on multiple sources that DL does not benefit significantly from the datasets being on an SSD, and that a 240gb or 500gb SSD for programs and OS (I will get Ubuntu 16.04) + a 1,2, or 3TB HDD would be best.

5. About the video card - I will definitely do research on that card. Seems like a good choice.

 

Overall: Thanks for taking the time out to help out :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Also the Nvidia makes the 1070ti chips, but companies just put different coolers on them.

I would just get the zotac card, it ha a better cooler too.

The "Nvidia reference" editions sell for more, because these are kinda collectible, but they dont have better performance.

You just saved me alot of $, Thanks :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, phoon said:

I've been a LTT forum addict recently and I've been helping with alot of problems. Plz listen to me when I tell you 80-90% of the problems I tried to help with are Ryzen systems. This system is great don't get me wrong. But consider paying a slight premium for Intel OR wait after CES for the new ZEN line ups. There are sooo many bugs and compatibility issues with AMD ryzen cpus. Just some friendly advice. 

Hummm... I actually save a bit of $ by going intel, but im not sure how much performance I am sacrificing, in doing so. Could you give your opinion? it seems to me that it may be considerable. Also on the topic of compatibility, I will be using ubuntu 16.04.

I will take everything you said into account. Do you know any other place where I can ask whether this combination of components/OS will be compatible (without buggy bugs)? pcpartpicker says that everything is compatible.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MachineLearning said:

Hummm... I actually save a bit of $ by going intel, but im not sure how much performance I am sacrificing, in doing so. Could you give your opinion? it seems to me that it may be considerable. Also on the topic of compatibility, I will be using ubuntu 16.04.

I will take everything you said into account. Do you know any other place where I can ask whether this combination of components/OS will be compatible (without buggy bugs)? pcpartpicker says that everything is compatible.

 

 

You are not saving money by going intel, as the i5 7500 is comparable to r3 1200, which is a 100$ processor, so you would lose quite a lot of performance.

 

To be frank, i have used a ryzen based system for a year now, and most of the problems ryzen had at launch have been fixed. The only thing really remaining is high frequency ram support (3200+mhz), but other than that i havent run into anything.

Still, i recommend waiting for r3000, as ryzen 2000 prices will drop thanks to it.

 

I only see your reply if you @ me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MachineLearning said:

Hummm... I actually save a bit of $ by going intel, but im not sure how much performance I am sacrificing, in doing so. Could you give your opinion?

 

I wouldn't go Intel anything under the 8th Gen. Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense when compared to Ryzen. And if you do go Ryzen you need faster memory, like 3000c15/3200c16 or really high end like 3200/c14 (not necessary)..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×