Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PCIe card recommendations: Sata 3 + USB 3 (3.1?) in single card

bimmerman

Hi all,

I'm looking to modernize my system a bit without spending toooo much more, and am looking for some suggestions.

I currently have an X58 Xeon with a GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 board. This board has 6 PCIe slots, filled as follows, in order from top to bottom of board:

• 2x PCIe x1 (at 1.1 speed, from chipset).
    • Upper slot is unoccupied
    • Lower slot is occupied by 1x USB3.0 card from Best Buy.
      • Limited in throughput (250MB/s // 2.0 Gbps) if the math checks out.
      • currently has a USB 3.0 MyBook e-HDD attached....womp womp.
  • 1x PCIe x16 (2.0 speed, as are all other ports)
    • Occupied by 1080ti
  • 1x PCIe x8 slot (2.0)
    • blocked by 1080ti
  • 1x PCIe x16 
    • Lower slot: occupied by 950 Pro NVMe (boot drive), in PCIe adapter.
  • 1x PCIe x8
    • Not occupied, but free. Shares bandwidth with NVMe slot.
    • would NOT be blocked by a GPU in the bandwidth-sharing x16 slot.

So that's the system. It's pretty sweet for its age, but the USB/SATA connectivity was never great nor was it fast (hence the 950 NVMe drive). What I'd like to do is to add in either a SATA 3 (6Gbps) card, as the motherboard doesn't have well-functioning ones of those, AND a USB 3.0/3.1 card in a single slot. If such a thing exists and is solid. I am not looking for a RAID card.

But! There are some constraints.

1. X58 and my motherboard allows for 2x x16 slots at full bandwidth, or 16/8/8 or 8/8/16 or 8/8/8/8.
  2. PCIe 2.0 x16 is the same bandwidth as 3.0 x8 --> really really doesn't make sense to share bandwidth with the GPU slot, as effectively that would be a GPU running behind a 3.0 x4 slot. Boo.
  3. Google-fu into PCIe bifurcation on this motherboard/CPU has, so far, not yielded any results, so am assuming it doesn't exist-- meaning, can't somehow split PCIe slot into multiple drives.
    1. Otherwise, I'd have bought a few NVMe drives all in one slot and would have no problems.

What does all this mean? I have a single x8 PCIe slot to fill with either a SATA 3 or USB 3.0/3.1, both of which I can find on newegg/amazon/etc. What I'm looking for, ideally, is a PCIe card that has both. Any ideas? I'm guessing the answer is a resounding no, but am curious. Thanks!

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post that I am rezzing.  However, I have the exact same issue.

I have an older machine that I recently upgraded to 8GB DDR3 and Intel Core i7-3770S.

Here is the problem.  The system has an nVidia GTX 1050ti 2 slot card.  The motherboard has 1 16x and 2 1x PCIe slots.  One of the slots is covered by the gpu.  I currently have a PCIe card in the other slot that adds SATS3 to the system as the motherboard only has SATS2 onboard.  I would like to add USB 3.0 or 3.1 but that would require either finding a gpu that only took up one slot, or finding a card that offered both USB 3.0/3.1 and SATA3 on one card.  I want to use this machine as a PLEX server, so the USB 3.x would be great for adding more storage.