Where to get Cisco Certified

Acrain7

Hey everyone, 

I want to get into the network administration industry and I first want to get a CCNA in routing and switching. What institutions can help me with this, and are there any online courses to help get background information and practice?

Thank you,

GP

3 minutes ago, Genericplane said:

Hey everyone, 

I want to get into the network administration industry and I first want to get a CCNA in routing and switching. What institutions can help me with this, and are there any online courses to help get background information and practice?

Thank you,

GP

netacad.com can help you find academies in your area

CPU: i7 3820@4.3Ghz GPU: Gtx 1060 RAM: 16gb HyperX Fury CASE: S340 Elite Cpu runs nice and hot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If you're a self learner type person, pick up the cisco press books, buy some David Bombal courses on udemy, get packet tracer / VIRL / GNS3, and practice a lot. I'm studying for CCNA R&S myself (Took a side step to get Cyber Ops first). If you have the money, you can buy used cisco networking equipment.

7 hours ago, scottyseng said:

If you're a self learner type person, pick up the cisco press books, buy some David Bombal courses on udemy, get packet tracer / VIRL / GNS3, and practice a lot. I'm studying for CCNA R&S myself (Took a side step to get Cyber Ops first). If you have the money, you can buy used cisco networking equipment.

Why do most of recommendations are for udemy courses?what's wrong with edX?

1 minute ago, Zorba2.17 said:

Why do most of recommendations are for udemy courses?what's wrong with edX?

There's nothing wrong with edx, but I've never used it. I'm just mentioning the courses / books I've used personally.

Just now, scottyseng said:

There's nothing wrong with edx, but I've never used it. I'm just mentioning the courses / books I've used personally.

ok, in general the most preferred platform seems to be udemy.

2 minutes ago, Zorba2.17 said:

ok, in general the most preferred platform seems to be udemy.

I can also vouch for pluralsight, their CCNA course is quite nice as well (Though I'm only part of the way through it). I also use uCertify (Not cheap though) and can recommend that.

Udemy I quite like because of David Bombal and other pretty good teachers on there (Such as Chris Bryant as mentioned above)

But people learn in different ways, some people might prefer video over books, one teaching style over another, etc.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

I can also vouch for pluralsight, their CCNA course is quite nice as well (Though I'm only part of the way through it). I also use uCertify (Not cheap though) and can recommend that.

Udemy I quite like because of David Bombal and other pretty good teachers on there (Such as Chris Bryant as mentioned above)

Thank you very much!Are you cisco certified btw?

Just now, Zorba2.17 said:

Thank you very much!Are you cisco certified btw?

I'm working on it. I sadly just narrowly failed my Cyber Ops exam 1 (Just by 3-4 points too). I'm practicing for CCNA R&S too.

Wow that was narrow cut-off,Good to know you are doing it, what prompted you to get certified?

Just now, Zorba2.17 said:

Wow that was narrow cut-off,Good to know you are doing it, what prompted you to get certified?

Some bad things happened with my dad's clients (They ran off without paying) in his construction business so we're in debt. I'm trying to find a solid job that isn't entry level IT help desk.

University was no longer affordable (I'm a computer engineering major), but so far networking is clicking with me pretty well so I think I might stick with it and slowly get my degree while working.

My goal is to get CCNA Cyber Ops and CCNA R&S. Hopefully get CCNP R&S and CCNA Security afterwards.

Oh, I personally recommend to get CCNA R&S over Comptia Network+ if I had $300 to spend to get something on the resume to get a job.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Some bad things happened with my dad's clients (They ran off without paying) in his construction business so we're in debt. I'm trying to find a solid job that isn't entry level IT help desk.

University was no longer affordable (I'm a computer engineering major), but so far networking is clicking with me pretty well so I think I might stick with it and slowly get my degree while working.

My goal is to get CCNA Cyber Ops and CCNA R&S. Hopefully get CCNP R&S and CCNA Security afterwards.

Oh, I personally recommend to get CCNA R&S over Comptia Network+ if I had $300 to spend to get something on the resume to get a job.

Oh man! sad to hear that, I am in a similar situation,in a dilemma to rather invest in this certifications and get a job ASAP, then probably pay for my own degree. degree won't provide skills which these certifications do.

3 minutes ago, Zorba2.17 said:

Oh man! sad to hear that, I am in a similar situation,in a dilemma to rather invest in this certifications and get a job ASAP, then probably pay for my own degree. degree won't provide skills which these certifications do.

Yep, I've learned more useful things in pluralsight (for programming / general IT) and udemy than I have in college (Why so many core classes that I'll never care about...)

I got my Comptia A+ but decided I would chase after CCNA to avoid the entry level jobs (I really don't want to end up in help desk)

8 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yep, I've learned more useful things in pluralsight (for programming / general IT) and udemy than I have in college (Why so many core classes that I'll never care about...)

I got my Comptia A+ but decided I would chase after CCNA to avoid the entry level jobs (I really don't want to end up in help desk)

Is that so? thank you for sharing this with me, I recently posted this exact same scenario in posts and got pretty much mixed feedback. A degree has just become necessity than necessary at least in IT sect. now you can probably get certified in a fraction of time an money that degree costs you and land a job at least-and start decking your resume with experience down the line whilst learning more than a 4-year sole emphasis on theory and exams would've given. It's not bad but not a smart investment especially for financially crushed individuals like us.

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

The Comptia Network+ is more entry networking for a general IT techie. CCNA is more entry level of a Network Engineer.

I have the Network+ though but only took it be cause I was going to hold an education for Network+. I kind of like Comptia certifications though as they are a good basic level for most of their certifications. I also have the Server+, A+, Security+ and CTT+. Certifications are a lot of fun and very useful for learning new things and keeping you sharp when you are in the field. It helped me being focused on the subject.

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

The Comptia Network+ is more entry networking for a general IT techie. CCNA is more entry level of a Network Engineer.

I have the Network+ though but only took it be cause I was going to hold an education for Network+. I kind of like Comptia certifications though as they are a good basic level for most of their certifications. I also have the Server+, A+, Security+ and CTT+. Certifications are a lot of fun and very useful for learning new things and keeping you sharp when you are in the field. It helped me being focused on the subject.

Agree. I still plan to get network+ and security+ as well, but the job market difference between network+ vs CCNA R&S made me lean that way.

Congrats on all of the certifications though. That seems like a long journey to get all of those.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Agree. I still plan to get network+ and security+ as well, but the job market difference between network+ vs CCNA R&S made me lean that way.

Congrats on all of the certifications though. That seems like a long journey to get all of those.

I worked 50% with education so we got the tests and study material for free :) Only thing we I had to put in was time. Network directory services and Compaq servers was my thing though. So a lot of NDS and Active directory combined with server hardware. 

I can very much recommend the Udemy course mentioned earlier.

As for taking the test Id suggest looking for "braindumps" as the test itself asks for 'weird' answers at times. ?

(CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNP R&S)

And in my opinion EVERYONE working in IT should have at least CCNA. (Networking videos with Linus are hilarious at times)