For someone who has never experienced >60hz gaming, is 100hz a big jump? 200hz?

stratuh
Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

I use an MX34VQ, its about 850 CAD - 100hz, 1440p ultrawide. 

I run a gtx 1080 and its awesome. 100hz vs 144hz shows a fair difference but anything higher (imo) doesnt.

I still think 100hz is completely fine though, I came from 60 and love it.

17 minutes ago, stratuh said:

It's something I struggle with personally. I don't have the best eyesight: I could switch my main monitor to 720p and might just barely notice a difference. I tend to keep antialiasing off because honestly I can't tell unless I'm super close. It doesn't help I have monocular vision.

I guess in the OP I technically lied: I have experienced >60hz gaming, on my Oculus Rift. I love it: Superhot VR is such a blast with how smooth it is. I can definitely notice an improvement over 60hz there, I've just never experienced it on screen. From what I can tell, the Rift is 90hz, and it is night and day.

I think if I were to custom pick the features I'd most benefit from, likely refresh rate and color acuity/quality (maybe HDR plays into this) would come first above others.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V80U8821

If you could track that down in Canada, that's mostly what you're looking for.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3mbkcf/lg-34um59-b-340-2560x1080-75hz-monitor-34um59-b

LG has a few good monitor choices in the Ultra-wide space, for what you're looking for. I'm going to assume they produce those panels.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:29 AM, Firewrath9 said:

what GPU, as anything short of a 2080 ti cant push UWQHD 100hz/WQHD 144hz. I suggest finding a 1080p IPS 165hz G-sync if you have a 1080 ti/2080.

SLI 1080/Vega 64 is fine for those monitors tho

This hasn't been my experience at all. my 1080TI does medium/high settings UWQHD extremely well. I follow the "don't play games on ultra settings" mantra though