Only 4 out of 8 RAM sticks lighting up; CPU red indicator on?

Go to solution Solved by alamjs,
10 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Start with one RAM stick at lowest speed (2133MHz) and add one at the time. If it does not work try a different slot or remove/swap ram again.

hey, thanks for that! The CPU indicator is off and there is a display on the monitor now! It says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media" I'm guessing this is the USB in which I have windows in?

Hey guys, I have just built my first PC. The problem I am having is that my motherboard has 8 DIMM slots and I am using RGB RAM in all of them however when I power up the motherboard only 4 of the RAM sticks on the right side of the CPU actually light up. There is no display output on my monitor either. I have checked that the GPU is on and running since the GPU fan is spinning.

There is a red indicator on my motherboard which is on and it says CPU above it. I have checked that the CPU power connectors are inserted properly. Also, I can turn on my motherboard from the motherboards power on button but it doesnt turn off from the same button even after holding for a few seconds. I have not seen the BIOS yet since the build has never displayed anything yet. The CPU cooler turns on incase you want to know.

What I have tried so far:

-Resetting the CMOS

-checking the CPU power connectors (theres 2 of them on my mobo, both are connected to PSU)

-reinserted the CPU

-checked that all RAM sticks are working (all of the ram sticks if inserted on the right side of the CPU turn on, but none of them on the left side do)

-there is no display connector for integrated graphics on the mobo so I have to use a GPU

-the LED Digital Number indicator  on mobo says 00 which is not listed on the mobo manual as an error.

-all the fans are on and spinning

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Here is my build:

AMD - Threadripper 2950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor

NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Gigabyte - X399 AORUS XTREME EATX TR4 Motherboard

G.Skill - Trident Z Royal 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

NVIDIA - Titan V 12 GB Video Card

EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Have you tried reseating the CPU? TR4 sometimes doesn't seat well if you torque it down wrong.

Also, what post code is shown on the motherboard?

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Have you tried reseating the CPU? TR4 sometimes doesn't seat well if you torque it down wrong.

Also, what post code is shown on the motherboard?

yeah, I have tried reseating the CPU with the torque wrench as instructed for TR4 sockets. I have done this twice now.

The postcode is 00 on the mobo.

11 minutes ago, alamjs said:

yeah, I have tried reseating the CPU with the torque wrench as instructed for TR4 sockets. I have done this twice now.

The postcode is 00 on the mobo.

Iirc 00 means it can't find the CPU.

What i would do is take everything out of the case, put it on a safe surface, connect only what you need to get a POST. (so mobo, 1 ram stick and a gpu) and see how that goes.

edit: if necessary take out all components and follow the installation guide in the motherboard, yes that's going full noob i know but there's nothing wrong with that and that way you can be sure you haven't missed anything.

Little note: if you only install 1 ram stick, put it on the 2nd slot on the right, not the 1st one (it's in the manual btw)

edit 2: seems like there are also status LED's for the different components, it's 1.8 in the manual, that's probably useful too.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

10 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Start with one RAM stick at lowest speed (2133MHz) and add one at the time. If it does not work try a different slot or remove/swap ram again.

hey, thanks for that! The CPU indicator is off and there is a display on the monitor now! It says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media" I'm guessing this is the USB in which I have windows in?

1 minute ago, alamjs said:

Yup, that means it's good to go!

Dive into the bios and tell it to boot from the USB drive.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Thank you so much man!

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Also, when do I insert all the other RAM sticks?

1 minute ago, alamjs said:

Also, when do I insert all the other RAM sticks?

When the system is off, check the manual to know where to put the other ram sticks, you can't just whack them in. The system will adjust itself when it detects the new ram, there's no need to config anything.