System won't boot after restoring BIOS defaults

Hello everyone,

I am desperate for help. I went to only change fan curve and accidentally hit the button for recovering BIOS optimized default settings; meaning that I lost all OC settings etc.

Well, I am an idiot. However, that is nothing I can take care of. The worse thing is that every time I try to load the Windows, it automatically jumps into BIOS. Very well, the HDD is set to boot from - no big deal, I thought. Well, the BIOS doesn't see my SSD on which the system is stored. Any suggestions? Everything is so messed up that even changing the bloody fan curve doesn't do anything as it used to...

MoBo is Asus Maximus IX Code, CPU is I7-7700k, SSD is Intel 750 series.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jelen

Have you tried just clearing the CMOS by jumping the pins or pulling the CMOS battery?

1 minute ago, MapleBlades said:

Have you tried just clearing the CMOS by jumping the pins or pulling the CMOS battery?

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about haha. I just thought I need to change something in the BIOS in order for it to see the SSD and boot the system from it.

Clearing the CMOS would reset the BIOS to factory defaults but after re-reading what you said, it probably wouldn't help since that is technically what you did anyways but it doesn't hurt to try.

Easiest way is to pull out the silver battery on the board (MAKE SURE YOUR BOARD IS COMPLETELY OFF, PSU NOT PLUGGED IN, NO LIGHTS ON).  Wait a few seconds or a minute, re-seat the battery, turn on.

1 hour ago, MapleBlades said:

Clearing the CMOS would reset the BIOS to factory defaults but after re-reading what you said, it probably wouldn't help since that is technically what you did anyways but it doesn't hurt to try.

Easiest way is to pull out the silver battery on the board (MAKE SURE YOUR BOARD IS COMPLETELY OFF, PSU NOT PLUGGED IN, NO LIGHTS ON).  Wait a few seconds or a minute, re-seat the battery, turn on.

Does not seem to do anything :/

I've never done it, but that Mobo should have bios flashback, right? I would download the most recent bios for that motherboard and follow these instructions: https://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

Hope it works out

Screenshot_20190104-123717.png

13 hours ago, AgentOfChange said:

Sorry, here's more recent instructions with z270 covered:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013998/#

Looks like you should name the bios file M9C.CAP but that's covered in the instructions

Thank you for the information. I will look into it but it looks kind of intimidating, not gonna lie haha.

You may need to remove most of your hardware before the board would POST again. There are cases where specific hardware or the amount of hardware would require some BIOS options to be changed for it to work properly, especially the PCI Over 4G Decoding option that defaults to off on some boards.

Try to start small with just CPU and one stick of RAM while connect your monitor to the iGPU. Then put hardware back one by one and try booting it after re-adding each piece. Make BIOS settings along the way too to make sure everything works.

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

20 hours ago, Jelen said:

Hello everyone,

I am desperate for help. I went to only change fan curve and accidentally hit the button for recovering BIOS optimized default settings; meaning that I lost all OC settings etc.

You don't lose your old settings unless you have reached the end of your nvram section or flashed a BIOS. What happens is the old settings are marked invalid and the new settings are written ahead of that unless your nvram is full in which case all is erased and settings start once again from the beginning of the section. IOW the old settings can usually be recovered if the nvram section is dumped and a little work done.

AWOL

3 minutes ago, X_X said:

You don't lose your old settings unless you have reached the end of your nvram section or flashed a BIOS. What happens is the old settings are marked invalid and the new settings are written ahead of that unless your nvram is full in which case all is erased and settings start once again from the beginning of the section. IOW the old settings can usually be recovered if the nvram section is dumped and a little work done.

thats good to hear! Could you be more specific about restoring the previous settings? I dont know anything in that matter. Cheers!

You would need to dump your nvram using a suitable software. Wether dumping the whole BIOS or just a section there are a number of tools to achieve this that can be run from a USB flash drive. Perhaps your question would be better served at Win-Raid.com forum where a lot of tools for the job can be had. If your BIOS provides a backup to USB function you could try that to start with.

AWOL

Depending in the motherboard, you might be able to use a universal programmer to pull out the BIOS contents without the BIOS flashing software changing it.

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

Well, I figured it out; partly, at least. HyperKit had to be enabled in the BIOS. So I am able to boot the system now but still, I cannot control fans and the mobo shows a code A0 instead of a cpu temperature... Weird things are going on..

Probably need to flash the BIOS -_-