Issue moving OS to m.2

Garbledeegook

Not a complete noob here, but also not a computer wizard...

I just picked up a samsung 970evo m.2 nvme and cloned a freshly installed OS over from an older 1tb hdd using easeus.

I changed the ssd to primary in bios, and windows loads up nice and quick. However, once i disconnect the old hdd, it cannot boot. Did i miss something? The hdd shows as drive C still and the ssd is I. And the hdd is what shows as "This PC" Was unable to change the volume letter. How do I switch it so that that the ssd becomes the the primary, or "This PC"?

The ssd shows up fine and the OS cloning had no issues that i saw.

Mobo is Asus Z170-a with up to date bios.

I plan to use a different faster Seagate 1tb baracuda as my storage. At least for now until i get another larger ssd.

Where am I going wrong??

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Garbledeegook said:

Not a complete noob here, but also not a computer wizard...

I just picked up a samsung 970evo m.2 nvme and cloned a freshly installed OS over from an older 1tb hdd using easeus.

I changed the ssd to primary in bios, and windows loads up nice and quick. However, once i disconnect the old hdd, it cannot boot. Did i miss something? The hdd shows as drive C still and the ssd is I. And the hdd is what shows as "This PC" Was unable to change the volume letter. How do I switch it so that that the ssd becomes the the primary, or "This PC"?

The ssd shows up fine and the OS cloning had no issues that i saw.

Mobo is Asus Z170-a with up to date bios.

I plan to use a different faster Seagate 1tb baracuda as my storage. At least for now until i get another larger ssd.

Where am I going wrong??

Thanks

Yes and no.There is strange bug with nvme SSDs.I had similar problem with clean Windows install.Windows would not set disk as boot and create primary participation.

As far as i know only work around is disconnecting all drivers except nvme ssd and install fresh copy of windows.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

I mean, it's windows so that might be the issue :P

Why don't you make a fresh install on the new Nvme drive? I'd always prefer a fresh install over anything copied. Especially since the OS on the 1TB was already fresh so that means you shouldn't have too much stuff going on.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Alrighty, I will go that route and see how it works out. Thanks